The unbearable suckiness of being
in an MPH stock clearance sale.
Went for the sale today.
Meh. Worse one I've been to in years.
Now with Book Xcess, I'm beginning to see how high MPH prices are during their "sales". (Don't even bother about the sales they have in their usual outlets.)
At least the hall was air-conditioned this time.
Got Pratchett books at 24 bucks...ah well. The Last Continent and Interesting Times. I just realized they're both Rincewind books.
I didn't like Rincewind in The Color of Magic, and didn't bother to pick up The Light Fantastic because it was all about him.
Anything to complete the series though.
Besides the prices - and the sorry condition of the books - it's the people there who get on my nerves.
1. Those who step on your feet - my sister, poor kid, hates these sales. Some old guy stepped on her foot, didn't apologize, and she was pissed as hell when we got out.
2. Those who carry boxes - I know how practical it is to carry boxes, right, but PLEASE HANDLE YOUR DAMN BOX CAREFULLY! Some people carry their boxes like their grandfather's road only, or something. Jeez. And this teenybopper wannabe plunked her box down beside me as she was browsing through those teenage books, banged into my back and all, didn't say sorry. (I peeked into her box. All those romance teen novels. You know what I think of them. Of course it doesn't reflect on the owner...I'm just saying :)
Oh, and saw this woman kicking round her box on the floor, despite the place being packed and messy. Nice handbag, but you don't even know how to handle books properly? Epic fail, woman.
I'd rather go for the warehouse sales, despite the place being super crowded and hot. And the people there tend to leave their boxes all over the place...then again, easier time to dip.
Book prices are still going up, methinks. They're selling the same editions of Narnia I got years ago for 30+ bucks now, 17 at sales. I got the books for only 14, the full illustrated ones for 19. Is it because of bigger demand, inflation, or people don't know better?
Lots of Narnia books on sale...yuck. Marketing. Rip offs.
Noticed this big pile of The Children of Hurin, hardcover, going for 20. Didn't get it, mostly because I never do finish my other Tolkien books. Fact.
Laughed out loud when I read this review here in StarMag today. The first three paragraphs anyway.
It's true what. I tend to be more interested in people who carry books with them. Do I judge them then?
Maybe :P
Went for the sale today.
Meh. Worse one I've been to in years.
Now with Book Xcess, I'm beginning to see how high MPH prices are during their "sales". (Don't even bother about the sales they have in their usual outlets.)
At least the hall was air-conditioned this time.
Got Pratchett books at 24 bucks...ah well. The Last Continent and Interesting Times. I just realized they're both Rincewind books.
I didn't like Rincewind in The Color of Magic, and didn't bother to pick up The Light Fantastic because it was all about him.
Anything to complete the series though.
Besides the prices - and the sorry condition of the books - it's the people there who get on my nerves.
1. Those who step on your feet - my sister, poor kid, hates these sales. Some old guy stepped on her foot, didn't apologize, and she was pissed as hell when we got out.
2. Those who carry boxes - I know how practical it is to carry boxes, right, but PLEASE HANDLE YOUR DAMN BOX CAREFULLY! Some people carry their boxes like their grandfather's road only, or something. Jeez. And this teenybopper wannabe plunked her box down beside me as she was browsing through those teenage books, banged into my back and all, didn't say sorry. (I peeked into her box. All those romance teen novels. You know what I think of them. Of course it doesn't reflect on the owner...I'm just saying :)
Oh, and saw this woman kicking round her box on the floor, despite the place being packed and messy. Nice handbag, but you don't even know how to handle books properly? Epic fail, woman.
I'd rather go for the warehouse sales, despite the place being super crowded and hot. And the people there tend to leave their boxes all over the place...then again, easier time to dip.
Book prices are still going up, methinks. They're selling the same editions of Narnia I got years ago for 30+ bucks now, 17 at sales. I got the books for only 14, the full illustrated ones for 19. Is it because of bigger demand, inflation, or people don't know better?
Lots of Narnia books on sale...yuck. Marketing. Rip offs.
Noticed this big pile of The Children of Hurin, hardcover, going for 20. Didn't get it, mostly because I never do finish my other Tolkien books. Fact.
Laughed out loud when I read this review here in StarMag today. The first three paragraphs anyway.
It's true what. I tend to be more interested in people who carry books with them. Do I judge them then?
Maybe :P

2 Comments:
haha, being at that sale was kinda like being on a battlefield, no?
and them *empty* prams, kacaula..sigh..
ah well, mayb they just couldnt find babysitters..
i saw fragile things, hardcover, going for 20 bucks also.. but the jacket was teh filthy..
n there weren't any calvin n hobbes books there :( lol
I didn't meet the legion of prammers la :P thank goodness! Trying to avoid people with huge boxes was hard enough ==
They were promoting Tolkien's book like crazy. Not bad condition, but I don't think I'm going to read it anytime soon 808080
Gaiman only left paperback, very limited.
I didn't bother to go look in other areas besides Fantasy...dah fed up with the crowd =/
But choices very limited mah...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home