Monday, March 23, 2009

What I talk about when I don't talk to you

Was amused to find a T.S. Eliot reference in The Star here. NO WAI, SRSLY? Ironic, even. At least I think so.

Anyways. Real purpose for writing this -

Somebody needs to come up with a name for the phenomenon where books will automatically become more expensive when movie adaptations of them are made. Take Gaiman's Coraline, for example. I remember getting my copy years ago at one of MPH's best warehouse sales for RM 10. Now the older editions are going for a higher price than the one printed on the cover. No, really. And the new editions are - inevitably - being sold at an obscenely exorbitant price. (Don't believe in Amazon - it lies!!11!!!!1!)

I shall call this...the Law of Book Adaptations. (I need a snappier name, dammit.) And it goes like this: Whenever a book - or a series of books - is made into movie(s), the price of said book will be grossly inflated waaaaay above its original price and regardless of the fact that the book was selling for a marked-down price before this because there wasn't enough publicity.

More examples include -

a. The Lord of the Rings
b. Narnia
c. His Dark Materials

...and I can't think of more. Mostly kids' books too, hmm.

Price tags never lie, see. (Now you know, Stan!)

Didn't manage to finish Preludes and Nocturnes from Gaiman's Sandman series. I got too disturbed by the images. =/

I need to do something productive. *angst*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home