Thursday, February 26, 2009

Q & A

Q: And what is the point of this post?

A: Probably because I'm tired of quizzes, and tests, and for some reason, this post came to mind. *kicks 16-year-old self* What the hell was I doing back then???

Q: Er...you're not answering my question.

A: See, this is my free hour between my first class of the day and lunch. And I'm too arsed to do my homework. And besides, I feel guilty for not updating my blog. Yeah. That. And the fact that my not-writing regularly is starting to scare me, cos when I want to write, I find that I'm out of practice!

Q: And you're scared that you can't write because...?

A: Because I have delusions that I can write, when in fact I can't, but it's nice to keep up the illusion, because if I don't, I'll lose whatever footing I have, and my sense of identity, and my speshul powers, cos I can, like write so not the chunted -

Q: Next! Interesting point - you haven't been blogging as much as you have before. Any ideas why?

A: The number of people who (I think) are reading my blog is inversely proportional to the amount of willingness I have to blog. I run out of ideas when I think that people want to read what I write. Yes, it doesn't make sense, but there you have it.

Q: *headdesk* But this is a blog. You have one so people can read your egotistical, self-centred ramblings!

A: Ah, therein lies the problem. If I want to rant and ramble like the egotistical, self-centered person I am, I prefer to do it privately. Or with a few people who don't mind those rants.

*snip*

It's after dinner, and I didn't complete the post, and I can't remember why.

Onwards!

[You wait - I'll show you my epic long posting powers.]

Watched the short film that beat Presto in the Oscars - La Maison le Petit Cubes -and loved it. Can't find it on Youtube now, since all videos have been taken off due to copyright infringement.

Fanfic recs! Like this Good Omens one here. And a Harry Potter one here.

Oh oh - and found Gaiman's Preludes and Nocturnes in the library today. Beautiful cover too - will see how if I can post a pic here :P

And am reading Joan Aiken's The Serial Garden and other stories, and am loving the whole thing. She throws in the weirdest similes, like these -

...making it sway like a fishing rod with a polar bear balanced on top of it.

At the same time, Harriet heard something in her ear that sounded like a ratchet screwdriver being painstakingly worked into granite. She turned her head to listen and realized that it was Mark singing.


Hnah ha. Hee.

Oh, and one of my favourite lines in here -

Harriet: "Miss Pursey's got some really awful-looking plaster gnomes in her garden, wheeling little barrows full of skulls."

And I read that and the thought suddenly flashed into sight - EPIC WIN!

I can just imagine them, you know, all dressed in jolly colours like bright yellow and acid green (like how Tolkien describes hobbits' clothes, which makes me wonder), with twee red caps, and shoes in jolly colours like orange or bright red (goes to show that gnomes that don't have much sense of fashion, do they - at least hobbits just go barefooted) and they'll be wheeling barrows and barrows of skulls. And probably fishing in the pond for the corpses of dead tadpoles and frogs. I don't know.

Anyways. Found this article - via Sharon Bakar's blog - about Why it's pointless telling anyone that writing isn't worth it. And how it's partly the reason why I started this epic long post and am only wrapping it up before bed.

Some lines made me laugh, like this one: Nothing beats that raging delight at three in the morning when sentence number 15 finally agrees to do what you want, and never has banging wiggly marks on to a computer screen seemed so heroic ...and I agree. Haven't had any 3 a.m. moments here - cos inspiration hath not striketh me, and my grief is unbearable, ha - but am hoping for some soon. *crosses fingers*

And A.L. Kennedy goes on to say - And if you think you might actually be doing some good, amusing someone other than yourself – making them less lonely, more alive, more informed – well, you're just not going to chuck that over in favour of crafting, long walks and a quiet life.

It'd be nice for me to think so - recent forays into fanfiction might have headed that way somewhat - but I wouldn't count too much on it.

Q: So why do you write? And why do you blog?

A: Satisfies the need for me to write, just write - anything. (I miss the keyboard back home; this one doesn't clickety-clack as satisfyingly as the one I left.) This post is devoid of news, of updates, of any gossip whatsoever - and so be it, because I've blogged, and it makes me happy.

So now you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home