Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Too many ways

I think I'm going to regret buying Diana Wynne Jones' House of Many Ways this early. It's the UK edition - US only out later this month - and the cover is...not like the other covers in the Howl series. Not that I'm complaining much, but I don't quite like this cover.

And looking at how gorgeous the covers of her Chrestomanci books have become, I'm starting to agree with you that I shouldn't waste so much time reading fantasy and get down to real homework instead.

I'm not saying that the story wasn't good - it was. Should satisfy any DWJ fan.

Now I want Howl's Moving Castle so badly. Dang. With the old cover that had Howl and Calcifer, not the new cartoony one. Coincidentally, the cover I really like looks exactly the same as the book Chin Lei has 8080808080

Right. Short review.

*THERE BE SPOILERS HERE*

1. Sophie's back! YAY! With Howl! As a baby! Whoot!

2. Okay Howl, stop making me swoon like a teenage girl *blush* You're already married to one gorgeous lady, dang it. But yes, that lisp has to go. And those curls.

3. The main character, Charmain Baker, got on my nerves. And then I realised that I could've been her on my bad days. We're both a bit too in love with our books and minds.

4. Peter was...interesting. A bit boring. I wanted him to have a full-blown fight with Charmain, but all they do is stand around acting smug and bickering.

5. Waif! Awwwwww...I cans haz kewt liddle doggie pwease?

6. Calcifer - yet again, underutilized. I'm dying to know how he came about, but DWJ doesn't hint much. Love him.

The pacing is the usual DWJ style - so fast and smooth, you don't want to stop. Chapter after chapter after chapter - so if you cheat a bit (which I always do), you end up reading page after page right till the end. Hee. And then I go back to where I left off, and read all over again, slowly. But the anticipation is gone eh.

One thing though - the neat ending. Jones always has a neat ending - you can't fault her for not tying up loose ends - but now I'm starting to think that the ending's is a bit too neat. Everything falls into place; the world's all right again; everybody's happy, hooray.

I'm growing up into a cynical young lady before my age. 17 going on 70, more like. Huh.

Now I'm finding fault with one of my favourite authors ever? Ohmigosh!

I need to hunt down Howl's first book.

More Howl!

More lame flirting!

More vanity!

More Sophie!

More bickering!

More Calcifer!

I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home