Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pretty! Odd!


Gave Panic at the Disco's (Lookit at that! No more exclamation mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) a few spins today. Ooo. Hyper, very. Loved the whole feel to the album. Less...riotous than their previous one, methinks. I can actually hear Urie's words, and the new instruments give the songs a whole new quirky feel. Love it.

They've been compared to the Beatles several times - look at NME's review here, and Amazon reviews here. I don't know - I don't dare to compare them to The Beatles just yet - dear God, can you imagine how some Beatles fanatics would beat the shit out of me when they read this? :P

Anyways - can see why the comparison came in. Panic's more toned down in this album somehow, but no, the upbeat, sometimes manic energy's still intact. Lyrics getting weirder and weirder, melodies more varied (some parts made me go what the hell?!) - and yep, it felt so psychedelic-y at times I wonder whether Panic's going to bust out in tie-dyes and long hair in their next vid or something. Heh.

Right, right. Panic fans would either love it or hate it - take a quick peek at that Amazon page and tell me if my deduction ain't right.

Kay. Moving on to what makes this album so funneh.

1. Lyrics. I. LOVE. THEIR. LYRICS. So many sing-a-longy ones. You get lines like, I never gave a damn about the weather, and it never gave a damn about me, and Things have changed for me, and that's okay, I feel the same!.

2. Melody. Quirky. Fun. Hyper! And that trumpet and bell lilting makes everything so much happier! Guitars are lovely.

3. Varied tones. You get weird - Mad as Rabbits; ballady - Northern Downpour; infectious - She's a Handsome Woman and bittersweet, odd contrast - She Had the World. And oh yeah, super hyper - Nine in the Afternoon.

I got to hear more of the other band members too, besides Urie. Lots of big choruses - and in certain songs, there's like musical conversations running between Urie and Ryan Ross (he was supposed to be the frontman at first, but switched to Urie).

Of course, the album isn't perfect. Some songs bored me, with their country tone, and the weird singing...but overall, I'd say I enjoyed this album. A lot. Feel good, rollicking fun. No screamo emo, no Plath lyrics, no Fall Out Boy wannabe (I do not like FOB, anyway :), no Jared Leto-ish vocals attempting to be a rock god but failing like the poser he is.

Over the top this album may be; Sergeant Pepper-ish it may be; weird and occasionally childish it may be - just go listen to it!

Songs I recommend: Nine in the Afternoon, When the Day Met the Night, Mad as Rabbits, Northern Downpour, She Had the World, Do You Know What I'm Seeing? and That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed).

Rolling Stones review here. Reviewer liked it, hmm.

In the middle of summer, all was golden in the sky, all was golden when the day met the night...summer!

Hee.

Go take your Beatles fan rants somewhere else. Panic may never measure up to the Beatles, granted, but heck, this is one fun record!

We must ring in the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove!

1 Comments:

Blogger eyeris said...

aikh. Panic! Panic! at least they've gotten rid of those damn stupid long song titles. and that lead singer's voice isn't so whiny now. meh.

1:20 pm, April 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home