Thursday, February 28, 2008

More squishy teddy bears

I don't really watch TV. You know it; I know it. But lately...

My mum is a fan of American Idol. Yessss...she turns on the TV first thing when she gets back home from work every Wednesday and Thursday. Since Astro has the live and two other repeats of the show on the same night, there's ample opportunity to catch it.

And I got sucked in. Watched mainly the guys, really. Because of David Archuleta. (Can't find pics, so that's the Wiki link.)

The guy's only 17 (no wait - 90's baby too! Wheeeeeee!), and that face! As Paula said: "I want to squish you!" Me too :) He just has that look - I dunno, it reminds me of a teddy bear. I have a feeling that he's also becoming my mum's favourite contestant to watch. You know, he has that type of boyish, innocent face (and personality) that makes old aunties go all googly-eyed and start pinching his cheeks (or butt). And an awesome voice to boot - he did John Lennon's Imagine today, and what could have bombed for other contestants turned out awesome for him. And Simon Cowell loves him. All praises wei.

*grins*

Okay, I'm turning into a rabid fangirl now. *more grinning*

Right, right - the Oscars. Atonement only won one award: for Best Original Score. Awesome work by Dario Marianelli anyway; thank goodness The Golden Compass OST wasn't nominated. It still won best effects though. Ironic, considering the Academy gave them an award for the only thing they got right in the movie.

Just finished reading Joan G. Robinson's When Marnie Was There for the millionth time. One of my favourite books EVER, despite it being a simple "children's book". It's a really simple story, and the twist was pretty unique. And what I like best about it is that the author didn't try to explain some of the things that happened - unlikely as they may seem, they didn't need to be explained. You're just killing off the whole mystery and beauty of the story if you do...and really, do children actually want long, complicated explanations for unlikely events, or would they be contented with the knowledge that those events did happen, and they enjoyed it - and that was all? Different from adult books lar, what with their long-winded twists, and prolonged endings, and the reader's expectations for all questions to be answered...it just kills off the story sometimes when the writer rushes in the explanations in the last few chapters.

Just saying - I don't really care for the "children" or "YA" labels. I read what I want to read, and sod all misconceptions about supposedly grown-up, mature young adults reading "kiddy books". I still go to the kiddy section; I still look for kids books. (Artemis Fowl is still classified under "children", for one.) After a bit, I get tired of the heartache and tragedy and cynicism and world-weariness and etc etc in adult fiction (or even fantasy). After a while, you just want a happy ending :P not a fairy-tale one, but just...satisfactory. A clean ending, not those hanging sentences in adult fiction.

And because I haven't blogged in a week, I'm going to translate Muse songs into BM.

Starlight - Cahaya Bintang
Map of the Problematique - Peta Orang Bermasalah
New Born - Baru Lahir
Hysteria - Histeria =.=''
Time is Running Out - Masa Sedang Habis
Supermassive Black Hole - Lohong Gelap yang Tersangat Besar
Hullabaloo - Riuh-rendah
Plug In Baby - Plag Masuk Sayang (ah doink, what's the Malay equivalent of 'baby'?)
Map of Your Head - Peta Kepala/Minda Kamu
Butterflies and Hurricanes - Kupu-kupu dan Taufan
Apocalypse Please - Minta Hari Kiamat

No it's not funny. I admit it.

I just need to lepas stim sikit, and at 12 a.m., what more...

3 Comments:

Blogger chinlei said...

baby = bayi? 808080 but sounds weird that way donnit? plag masuk bayi... like child abuser like that, lol.

3:05 pm, February 28, 2008  
Blogger pea said...

too free? XD

4:13 pm, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Lynn said...

chin lei: I put that at first, but it sounded so...paedophilic. Sides, they call their sweeties "sayang" or "yang" in Malay kan? <3

pea: I very free in my mind mah ;)

5:28 pm, February 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home