On anywhere else
Woozy. Am blogging at 12 a.m. what.
Watched Eastern Promises yesterday. Amazing. Viggo Mortensen was nothing short of awesome. His first walk-in onto the scene was memorable. Him in that dark suit and glasses. Very calm, very cool, very...charismatic.Also very hot.
Movie was really slick, really cool. (And considering it's in a genre I usually don't watch...I liked the movie!) Lots of blood and violence, but the censors took care of it. Not complaining...the performances were amazing, particularly from Mortensen and Armin Müller-Stahl. Phwoaaaaaaaarrrrr.
(On an unrelated note, I just realised that Viggo Mortensen's son is older than me. Oh gosh, I feel so weird wei.)
Finally got the paperback version of Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach. Very short - no wonder there was some controversy about it being a novella instead of a proper novel when it was nominated for the Booker. Anyway, I loved it. LOVED it - more than Atonement, which would probably make you wonder why I was sobbing my eyes out during the movie. I wanted to sob my eyes out after finishing On Chesil Beach. *sniff* Great story. It sounds simple, looks simple - but the way McEwan presents it...I guess I like this more compact story better than the lengthy Atonement. In a way too, McEwan concentrated on the characters here, instead of describing the settings in detail - and I like that; just lately, started getting interested in stories with simple or no plots but with interesting characters. And McEwan gets you right deep into the characters' thoughts and feelings - then bam, the emotional punch. *sniff* Why laaaaaaaaaaa?
Makes me wonder about a few things though, this book. A few questions raised. One was - Were Edward and Florence too young to be married, at 22? (Not likely - people got married younger but stayed together.) 2: Was two years too short a time for them to get to know each other before the marriage? 3: Would things have been better if they had been entirely honest with each other and with themselves? And 4: What if, after all the relationships and introspections that we have, we are still never really honest with each other and with ourselves? (What if, despite all your efforts to know the other person and your changing views about that person, it would never be possible to understand him or her as much as you want?)
Meh. I'm rambling again.
It's funny, but I kept picturing Jim Sturridge as Edward while reading the book. Florence was no Lucy, definitely. If they ever film this book though, I'd be right there watching with a good supply of tissues and boohoos.
I need more sleep.
Watched Eastern Promises yesterday. Amazing. Viggo Mortensen was nothing short of awesome. His first walk-in onto the scene was memorable. Him in that dark suit and glasses. Very calm, very cool, very...charismatic.
Movie was really slick, really cool. (And considering it's in a genre I usually don't watch...I liked the movie!) Lots of blood and violence, but the censors took care of it. Not complaining...the performances were amazing, particularly from Mortensen and Armin Müller-Stahl. Phwoaaaaaaaarrrrr.
(On an unrelated note, I just realised that Viggo Mortensen's son is older than me. Oh gosh, I feel so weird wei.)
Finally got the paperback version of Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach. Very short - no wonder there was some controversy about it being a novella instead of a proper novel when it was nominated for the Booker. Anyway, I loved it. LOVED it - more than Atonement, which would probably make you wonder why I was sobbing my eyes out during the movie. I wanted to sob my eyes out after finishing On Chesil Beach. *sniff* Great story. It sounds simple, looks simple - but the way McEwan presents it...I guess I like this more compact story better than the lengthy Atonement. In a way too, McEwan concentrated on the characters here, instead of describing the settings in detail - and I like that; just lately, started getting interested in stories with simple or no plots but with interesting characters. And McEwan gets you right deep into the characters' thoughts and feelings - then bam, the emotional punch. *sniff* Why laaaaaaaaaaa?
Makes me wonder about a few things though, this book. A few questions raised. One was - Were Edward and Florence too young to be married, at 22? (Not likely - people got married younger but stayed together.) 2: Was two years too short a time for them to get to know each other before the marriage? 3: Would things have been better if they had been entirely honest with each other and with themselves? And 4: What if, after all the relationships and introspections that we have, we are still never really honest with each other and with ourselves? (What if, despite all your efforts to know the other person and your changing views about that person, it would never be possible to understand him or her as much as you want?)
Meh. I'm rambling again.
It's funny, but I kept picturing Jim Sturridge as Edward while reading the book. Florence was no Lucy, definitely. If they ever film this book though, I'd be right there watching with a good supply of tissues and boohoos.
I need more sleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home