Saturday, January 12, 2008

Do I wanna!

Oh-kaaaay...I'm being ridiculously happy again.

Tell me why!

Driving test on Monday! Don't expect to pass the first time...neither do my parents think I'd get through just this once. (Don't get your hopes too high - dinna fash yersel' over the wee bitty test, no?) And have been specifically told not to bribe. ("I don't care how many times you have to take the test, but don't EVER bribe," said both my parents, so that's okay.)

But yeah - since learning how to drive, I've been exposed to the lovely world of Malaysian drivers. Several groups -

1. The honkers

They honk everyone, even those who are just learning and have about a gazillion L signs pasted all over their Kancils.

2. The free-laners

Just saw this Kembara cut across two or three lanes on Federal Highway today. No accidents, but it was busy. Mental.

3. The "I'm so cool I can't wait for anyone else"

Cut cut cut. Yeah yeah, you're off discovering the probabilities of driving like a psycho and seeing when you'll crash, no?

4. The "I'm a big cool dude driving my Merz/BMW/Mega MPV so give me way!"

Cut and cut and cut...I especially hate those cars with stupid looking crests on their registration plates. Look, nobody knows what those crests say, all right? And having a big shiny car doesn't mean you can put other people's lives in danger. (I don't care about yours.)

5. And finally - the learners!

Me me me! Drives slow and carefully, prone to braking for no reason, cuts your lane very slowwwwwwwly, takes corners very slowly (and also taking your lane along with it), drives below the average speed on Malaysian roads (70 km/j, methinks) and doesn't care if you honk or not.

Approach this group with caution, particularly on slopes and at traffic lights. Frantically honking at them when they block your way will not accomplish anything except making you look like a fool. (And if they reverse into your nice shiny car, that's your problem, because we're covered with insurance and the Kancil ain't our car! :) Can't you see those L signs?

Wheeeee. I can't drive on my own for a few months or so after passing the test though. Not allowed to, you see.

And after calculating the cost of driving to college and back...taking the bus is cheaper, yeah, but as my dad said, "It isn't a substitute for your safety", since I have to walk back from the bus-stop and all. Right. Have been seeing the police doing patrols round the area, and that is unusual, since I've never really seen the police around here much in the past years.

Get a bunch of psychopaths driving round putting several young women's lives in danger, and other girls and ladies get worried about walking out of their own homes in a relatively quiet residential area. Mental.

(And people thought I was being paranoid when I said I was worried about walking home last year! Hah!)

2008 doesn't look to have started off that nice and easy, has it?

Reading George Eliot's Middlemarch now. Heavy, literally and figuratively. I'm slightly annoyed with the girl, Dorothea Brooke. She's passionate about her beliefs, true, but her holier-than-thou attitude towards her own doings and future plans annoyed me a bit. Plus she's going to marry this dude who's more than 27 years older than her, and she's only around 18 or so! Am sticking to the story though, because Lydgate has shown up, and I'm waiting for fireworks to happen between Dorothea and the guy; she does have one hell of a temper...

I need more Pratchett. But - meh - there's homework and assignments and everything else to do first. Don't think I'll be free till April...oh tragedy. Tragedy.

2 Comments:

Blogger pea said...

Good luck Yeen Lynn!!!!!

drive me around one day!! lol~!

10:18 pm, January 13, 2008  
Blogger Lynn said...

Thank you Jia Yi! ^^

11:42 pm, January 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home