Friday, December 28, 2007

Ach, weel

Yep, it's that time of the year. When people go all nostalgic and philosophical and reminisce about the good old days of 2007. Some other people, though, make lists. So I'll make lists too! Woohoo!

Favourite books of 2007

(please bear in mind that these books are not necessarily published in 2007, but books which I read during the year)

1. Northern Lights - Phillip Pullman

My favourite in the trilogy. The Subtle Knife was slower in pacing to this, I thought, and while The Amber Spyglass was really out of this world...I still thought the first one was better - more engaging, so to speak.

2. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett

Talking rats! Con cat! Stupid-looking boy! Grim Fairy Tales!

3. A Hat Full of Sky - Terry Pratchett

Here we really see Tiffany Aching growing up and taking on responsibilities usually taken on by people much older. Loved her in here. And Granny Weatherwax!

4. The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett

Okay, more Pratchett. The Tiffany Aching series was one of the best things that happened to me all year.

5. Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett

More Tiffany Aching! Loved Daft Wullie in here. And Granny Weatherwax and You!

6. 1984 - George Orwell

Phenomenal, seriously. Aldous Huxley's Brave New World IS good, but not as good as this - well for me lah. And that scene when Winston was in Room 101 - that was real horror.

7. Maskerade - Terry Pratchett

You thought Gaston Leroux's Phantom was cool? Read THIS.

8. Thief of Time - Terry Pratchett

Lu-Tze! Susan! Death! The Four Horsemen (plus One) of the Apocalypse! Enough said :) The idea of Time was brilliant too.

9. Coraline - Neil Gaiman

Ghost story for kids. Strongly recommended for adults too.

10. The Ladies of Grace Adieu - Susanna Clarke

Tom Brightwind was awesome. And Mr Simonelli. Other than that...okay okay la.

11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling

I only liked the part where the Hogwartians battled the Death Eaters. Rest was pretty blah, methought.

12. Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman

Mixture of the really cool, the macabre, and the really weird. Loved them all.

13. The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster

A book your kid should really REALLY read.

14. Private Peaceful - Michael Morpurgo

One of the saddest, sweetest stories I read this year.

15. Sabriel - Garth Nix

Very cool trilogy, this. The ending was a bit anti-climactic to my liking...but all in all, it was awesome.

Not in order, this list. Funny, I seem to have forgotten half of what I read this year. Not showing off, mind you, but lately I've been reading too many Discworld books until it feels like I've always been reading them.

Ach weel, we dinna ken how it'd turn out, no?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home