Thursday, December 06, 2007

Rainy rainy day

Woke up hearing cats or kittens mewling in the backyard. Couldn't see where they were =/

Right. Book. Read this. Michael Morpurgo's Private Peaceful.

Review in the Guardian here.

And is it good?

Yeah hah.

I think they're now marketing it as part of adult fiction - but don't bother about that edition. Go look in Kids. Better price, seriously. And a nicer cover, of course.

It is a bit slow at first, but as it nears the end, the climax, it does get really good. I like how the writer doesn't over-dramatize or elaborate too much on the tragedy. And the length is less than 200 pages.

Been reading Susanna Clarke's The Ladies of Grace Adieu (finally! Hah!). And for some reason...it's been somewhat disappointing. I've only read two stories in there - The Ladies of Grace Adieu and On Lickerish Hill - and liked the first one but was let down by the second. Ladies though...fell a bit flat. She didn't show enough of the three ladies - and they're so very mysterious, more than Strange himself. I guess Clarke works better with longer stories...read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell first before you go near Ladies.

Found an old Pratchett speech: Why Gandalf Never Married. Good points! :D

And yesterday was Aaron Eckhart day. Watched him on Thank You for Smoking and the recent movie with Catherine Zeta-Jones, No Reservations. Thank You was good - a bit draggy in the middle, plus Katie Holmes's character was so predictable. But No Reservations had the very adorable Abigail Breslin. The two adult leads were kinda kayu though - but the food! Teh food! Even better than watching the Asian Food Channel :P Watch the movie for Abigail Breslin - she's really good in there.

Trying to finish Possession. Funny thing is...I'm getting irritated with the characters, except for the main ones. I'm still slightly annoyed with Randolph Henry Ash too, for having an affair with Christabel LaMotte and causing such hurt to his devoted wife Ellen. And then Christabel has a child and she has to leave it because back in those days single motherhood was a shame...

Meh. I think I'd better not watch the movie. Not after they made Roland an American. Who will be played by Aaron Eckhart. Who's he anyway? =/

And ahah - The Golden Compass has a rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes *looks at Chin Lei sadly* Best not to hope too much eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home