Monday, November 19, 2007

This way to the egress

You've seen pictures of what your brain could be like on drugs. Or cigarettes. Or even in love.

I don't think I want to see what my brain looks like when I'm reading Discworld. Or even when I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not having any new Discworld books to read.

Man. I got the book yesterday. A Hat Full of Sky.

So happy samore, because I naively supposed that it'll last the week.

It didn't even last a day.

*sulk*

Began reading at 10.30 p.m. last night. Finished at 4.30 a.m.

Cover to cover, no speed reading.

And someone would say, right now, "ARE. YOU. MAD?"

Or else someone else would say, "What a weird girl."

Doesn't matter. I'm still going to give a review!

Or maybe just telling you the bits that I liked but which would still make you think I'm weird.

1. Tiffany Aching!

2. Mistress - I mean, Granny - Weatherwax. One of my favourite witches.

3. Oswald the ondageist!

Poltergeists throw things around right? An ondageist has an obsession with tidiness and neatness. Cleans up everything.

4. Miss Level, a single-minded lady ;)

5. The hiver was creeeeeeepy

6. the Nac Mac Feegle!

7. Awf'ly Wee Billy Bigchin, the gonnagle!

8. Jeannie

9. Petulia too

10. Annagramma - the sort of girl so pathetically aware of her self-importance that it's rather sad watching her

11. Granny's persykology. She calls it "headology"; not mentioned that she was using it in the book, but she always uses it anyway.

12. Roland and Tiffany's strange attachment to the necklace he gave. Awwww...

You know, when I first started reading Discworld, I thought Ankh-Morpork had something to do with "ask more pork". Turns out that the truth wasn't that strange. Ankh was plain old ankh, and morpork's a type of owl.

And one of the lines from this book:

Never wish. Especially don't wish upon a star, which is astronomically stupid.

Yeah hah. How could a big ginormous ball of burning hydrogen and lots of other thingies grant you a wish anyway?

I WAS NOT EXPECTING A NAC MAC FEEGLE TODAY, said Death, OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE WORN PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, HA HA.

Even Death makes lame jokes. HA HA.

It's always surprising to be reminded that while you're watching and thinking about people, all knowing and superior, they're watching and thinking about you, right back at you.

Odd, isn't it?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lynn is that the second book?? continuation from wee free men? and u got mail from neil gaiman?! wow. i'd be totally psyched if i were u! (but i'm sure u are);)

steph

1:55 am, November 20, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Stephanie! :)

Yep, that was the second book! =D

Nano sends messages every week I think, to all the participants. They pick certain authors to write the messages...I was psyched it was Gaiman this week! :P

10:50 am, November 20, 2007  
Blogger eyeris said...

A Hat Full of Sky is my favorite Discworld book. Period.

1:28 am, November 21, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hi eyeris!

Really? Eh cool. I liked it better than the Wee Free Men, but the Amazing Maurice is still my favourite! =D

And I already read The Truth, muahahahahaha....

9:26 pm, November 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home