Thursday, November 08, 2007

It's love, actually

And I am feeling - how do you say it - "utterly fucked up"?

Yeah, that. Been feeling feverish all day, but don't ask why I'm still up after 12. Was supposed to continue by Nano story, but all I did was stare at the blank page.

Right. Watched Love Actually today. FINALLY.

Things I Liked:

1. Bill Nighy! Teh awesome. Cracked up every time he came onscreen.

2. To me, you are perfect - awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

3. Sarah's patience with her brother - very touching

4. Rodrigo Santoro - Chin Lei, you were right. The guy IS hot, awesomely so =D

5. Colin Firth! And his misadventures in speaking Portuguese.

6. wicked humour

Things I Didn't Like:

1. Too much nudity. Sister was around when I watched, and she was going "ewwww" every time there was a nude scene. She told my parents, as expected. But it was mostly from the John and Judy story, which I found weirdly ironic.

2. Too much mushiness in certain scenes, but they were short anyway.

Have been thinking about the nudity thing. People censor out scenes with hints of anything bare - breasts, butts - but yet, ironically, they don't see the point of censoring scenes with women wearing imaginary clothes and being seen in provocative poses. Being sexually objectified, so to speak. Like some videos on MTV, where girls do all sorts of weird things with chairs and beds, and walk around half-clad most of the time. Case in point: the Hate that I Love You vid with Rihanna and Ne-Yo. She spends most of the vid in her underwear, and the camera seems to like giving many close-ups of her chest. And that was pretty mild really =/

Maybe it's a male thing, I wouldn't know ^_^ or maybe it's just me being "uptight" and "prudish".

But it still doesn't seem fair - to me - that women continue being objectified and...demeaned, in some way, in most media. I mean, the lyrics of current hits now - am I being too paranoid or what?

One thing which adds to the awesomeness of Muse and Matt's songwriting - they don't talk about women and sex. At least Matt has a healthy respect of women. And Muse vids are all about the band, with some exceptions like Hysteria (which I would strongly recommend you to watch the US version) - not that I'm complaining, because there's Matt and co. to be seen without unnecessary distractions.

And that, indeed, is love, actually.

Still determinedly ploughing through Possession. Pretty slow. When Randolph Ash started writing all those passionate love letters to Christabel LaMotte though, I felt like slapping him =/ The girl's already told you NO, and anyway, you're married to a woman who's truly devoted to you, ye gawds!

I am being entirely too cynical. And unromantic. So be it.

I shall be emo instead.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually thought the john % judy story was really sweet.

And BIll Nighy! "kids, here's a message from your uncle billy. don't buy drugs...
be a popstar and you'll get it for free!"

LMAO

And the rodrigo santora/laura linney one... so sad.. but not much closure on tht eh, at least tht's wat i think.

And i can never listen to dido's "here with me" w/o getting a little depressed now :(

Glad u liked it:) mostly, anyway

10:02 am, November 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aside from the pornstar-lovers, I also find the part where that guy showed up at Keira Knightley's place with the placards bittersweet. It's sad, but I'm glad it turned out that way.

Get well soon!

10:52 am, November 08, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Chin Lei! =D

Hey LOVED it. The John and Judy story was a bit awkward watching, with my sis around, but I thought it was really funny. Btw...John was Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's!! Wikied - it's HIM! No wonder I thought he looked so familiar!

BILL NIGHY! Oh yeah, I loved that line too! And when he declared his love for his manager - ROFL.

Yeah...that santoro/linney story seems to have chance eh :P I wants!

Dido, Dido...yeah. Want to cry pun not sure should. And when he said at the last part, 'Enough, enough now', man, that was quite heartbreaking lah =(

Forgot to mention the story with Liam Neeson and Thomas Sangster! That one was my favourite, after Bill Nighy's, of course XD

Stanley Oh decides to drop by! Oh my.

Eh the porn star story wasn't bittersweet pun, the two of them got engaged.

Of course the Keira Knightley one was bittersweet. And quite funny, but it was still sad =/

Quite well now ^_^ thanks!

8:30 pm, November 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porn stars falling in love while in the act of, erm, working. It's another kind of it, I guess.

How come I didn't get a smiley after my name? You sounded sarcastic. =/=/

You're welcome. But I'm still hurt. =/=/

10:08 pm, November 08, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Smileys?

Okay!

STANLEY OH CHAN TEN! =)

=D

:)

:P

;)

=>

=]

^^

I ran out of variations.

=D

11:30 pm, November 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home