Tuesday, October 30, 2007

We willna be fooled again!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Just done with Pratchett's The Wee Free Men. It's even funnier than Going Postal [because Postal got too serious for my liking], if you can believe it. Kid named Tiffany Aching, nine years old, good with cheese and butter, has big boots and believes in the frying pan. And then there's the Wee Free Men, or the Nac Mac Feegle, who are so hilariously, screamingly, absolutely funny that even Death has to tussle with them now for the spot of My Favourite Discworld Character(s).

You get snippets like this!

"They [the Nac Mac Feegle] think names have magic in them," he [the toad] murmured. "They don't tell them to people in case they are written down."

"Aye, an' put upon comp-li-cated documents," said a Feegle.

"An' summonses and such things," said another.

"Or 'Wanted' posters!" said another.

"Aye, an' bills an' affidavits," said another.

"Writs of distrainment, even!" The Feegles looked around in panic at the very thought of written-down things.

"They think written words are even more powerful," whispered the toad. "They think all writing is magic. Words worry them. See their swords? They glow blue in the presence of lawyers."


Would you believe it? These little blue red-haired men can carry a grown man each, enter any world in existence, headbutt anything, and yet their greatest fear is - lawyers!

Right. Another snippet!

"You're stealing our eggs," said Tiffany. "How dare you! And I'm not a hag!"

The little men looked at each other, and then at the eggs.

"Whut eiggs?" said one.

"The eggs you are holding," said Tiffany meaningfully.

"Whut? Oh, these? These are not eiggs, are they?" said the one who'd spoken first, looking at the eggs as though he'd never seen them before. "There's a thing. And there was us thinking they were, er, stones."

"Stones," said the other one nervously.

"We crawled under yon chookie for a wee bitty warmth," said the first one. "And there was all these things, we though' they was stones, which was why the puir fowl was clucking all the time..."


Things I Liked:

1. Tiffany Aching! Logical, calm and has First Sight and Second Thoughts. The kind of girl to carry string around with her.

2. The Nac Mac Feegle!

3. The names of the Nac Mac Feegle! There's Rob Anybody, and Daft Wullie, and Not-as-big-as-Medium-Sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock...

4. Fairyland! Just the right kind of creepy. Where all your dreams come true, even the one where your mum turns into a monster...

5. Toad! Who was a lawyer before being turned into a toad by a fairy godmother. Interestin' how it happened.

6. More Nac Mac Feegles!

7. Granny Aching!

8. Witchcraft!

9. Wentworth!

10. Much more Nac Mac Feegles!

Things I Didn't Like:

1. I'll have to wait till the weekend to get A Hat Full of Sky AND Wintersmith!

I'm trying to get more people to read Discworld, see. But it's like waving a big sign saying FREE MAGGI MEE GORENG AND UNLIMITED TEH TARIK, STEP THIS WAY in front of everyone, and kind of watching them just...walk away. (Yeah, like that will ever happen here.)

Right, right. This book, I rate...somewhere around 8 1/2 to 9 out of 10. Pretty good eh? 10 is for awesome mind-blowing sheer kewlness, and so far not many books have done that.

Go read Diana Wynne Jones too, mind you. I've got this sudden urge to start reading all my Chrestomanci books. And A Tale of Time City.

Watched Perfume. Weird...very, very bizarre. I've read the book before, last year, and pretty much knew what to expect, as the movie stayed quite true to the book. But...it's - it's - so - bizarre. Especially the climax when Grenouille releases the scent into the crowd, people who all wanted him to be hanged for the murders he committed began believing that they loved him; they start bowing before him, and then...what the heck - a massive orgy ensues?* I mean, yeah, it is in the book, but I wished the movie hadn't portrayed it so...graphically, and in so much...detail.

Anyway, went to Subang Square today. It'll be the last time I'll be going this year, methinks, unless I get another opportunity, I wouldn't know. So, I got -

1. Perfume
2. Proof
3. The Last King of Scotland (mostly because James McAvoy's in it, heh heh)
4. Love Actually
5. Chocolat (yes! More Johnny Depp before I get to watch Sweeney Todd!)

Couldn't find Amelie. Tried looking in the stack of foreign films, but after the first ten, it was all porn. How sad. I doubt girls are the main buyers of this kind of movies, innit?

Friend found As You Like It, directed by Kenneth Branagh, I think. Wikied it, seems that it went straight to TV in the US. It has Romola Garai as Celia!

I'm still having exams, last paper this week, on, oh, this Friday. Accounts. At 4. To 7. In the evening. Obviously. But how perfectly odious, the time.

And from Miss Tiffany Aching herself -

"Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!"

I was about to start cheering her on at that point.

I haven't finished Possession or started Middlemarch yet. That was the plan.

But vhen you have Discvorld, who's to stop you from reading eh? Vhut?

*And no, I'm not going to ask you to pardon the pun in there, because if you know what I mean, there won't be much pardoning to do; you'd be thinking Aww man, I've got a mind in the gutter, so I'm not going to say anything...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You finally got Love actually!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Got rodrigo santoro, and martin freeman.

Should b enough to motivate you, no?

1:19 pm, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

And Chocolat too, mind you!

More Johnny love. Woohoo!

4:38 pm, October 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home