Monday, October 22, 2007

Typewriters are teh cool

Downloaded a few tracks from the Atonement OST, and bigods, these are awesome. Typewriter clicks as part of the music - oh man! *squeals* I likes it very muches.

Anyway. Stolen meme. And not just any meme - it's a book meme!

YAY!

More memes!

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
The last two, because they're still within my allowance range. Hardbacks are love when I can get them cheap.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Borders, because I've never been to Barnes & Noble. Shouldn't be a problem in the US though :P

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Bookmarks, you evil book wrecker!

Amazon or brick and mortar?
Apani? Amazon

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?
Group by genre, then author, and lastly sequence in a particular series (yes I'm OCD-ish when I arrange my books). Height comes into consideration too, but the first three aspects take priority.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Throw away?! Sell them?! KEEP!

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Keep, but remove when reading. Don't wanna damage it.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
Remove.

Short story or novel?
Both. But short stories have the added advantage of getting my full attention...

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Hairy Potty. Never read Lemony Snicket.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Chapter breaks, unless I'm really, really tired.

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
Depends on the rest of the story. Gaiman can work wonders with both.

Buy or borrow?
Buy preferably (I regret borrowing many Discworld novels from Reader's Corner, because now I don't have an excuse to buy them), but borrowing's fine too.

New or used?
Both. Sometimes used books have waaaaaaay better covers than the new ones.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
Usually reviews and browse. Recs are okay, but I tend to go by what I want really.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Depends on the series.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
As long as I'm not disturbed!

Stand-alone or series?
Both.

Favorite series?
Er...difficult lah. His Dark Materials? Anne of Green Gables? Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House? Discworld? Artemis Fowl?

Favorite children's book?
Another difficult one...erm, I'm going with Diana Wynne Jones's Charmed Life for now. Or Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident. It's 1 a.m.

Favorite YA book?
Diary of Anne Frank/ Girls Out Late by Jacqueline Wilson

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Got ah? Eh - The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare? Not sure if anyone has heard of it...

Favorite books read last year?
I can't even remember! Right...Pride and Prejudice, The History of Love, The Bell Jar, The Time Traveller's Wife, Dubliners, Hogfather, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell.

Favorite books of all time?
Hogfather, The Age of Innocence, Pride and Prejudice, The Bell Jar, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, The Solitaire Mystery, The Orange Girl.

Least favorite book you finished last year?
Usually when I don't like the story, I'll dump it halfway. Though there was this book I borrowed from someone, something about a boy whose uncle took him to another place, another world...can't recall the name right now...

What are you reading right now?
Possession by A. S. Byatt

What are you reading next?
Middlemarch by George Eliot probably. Unless I get another Discworld

Favorite book to recommend to an eleven-year-old?
Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones

Favorite book to reread?
Many! Artemis Fowl maybe.

Do you ever smell books?
Yeah, when I'm feeling blue or nostalgic. Paper smells like old memories.

Do you ever read Primary source documents?
Wazzat?

I'm still annoyed that I can't remember the title of the book I didn't quite like...finished it, but I think I was disappointed because I expected more. Oh well.

[Edit: Just realised it was D. J. Hale's The Merchant of Death. Don't remember if it was last year or in 2005. I get mixed up lah.]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's from the Pendragon series is it not? Crazy, from its humble beginnings at 15 bucks ++ a book to what, 70 for the latest one? Some say it's better than Harry and Artemis though, don't know why.

12:39 pm, October 22, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hello! First comment in months wei.

Yep, Pendragon series. I think I borrowed from you pun.

Better than Harry maybe. But it'll never be better than Artemis though. NEVER! Bobby Pendragon's irritating, I was annoyed with him the whole time I was reading it :P

1:25 pm, October 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home