Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world
Downloaded Rufus Wainwright's cover of the Beatles's Across The Universe a while back, but didn't know it was by the Beatles until I wikied it this morning and found this. Have yet to listen to the original, but I love Wainwright's cover. Until his voice got on my nerves a bit. The video though, is lovely. I don't know if I have watched it before - conscious memory says I haven't! - and yet why did I get that image of a girl in a red dress releasing a red balloon a few weeks ago?
Ye gawds, Youtube now requires people to sign up? What happened to free videos?!
New movie going to be shown soon, a musical, with songs by The Beatles. Across The Universe...go watch the trailer; it's weird and funny at the same time. I wanna watch!
Have been playing the Atonement OST over and over, and my favourite tracks so far are Briony and Elegy for Dunkirk. The latter song has men singing, the soldiers I think, and when you connect it to what happened in the book - it's going to be one of those weepy heartbreaking scenes. Oh man. Bring extra tissues if I do go watch the movie with you in December.
Spent an instructive morning reading the articles of Discworld. The Wee Free Men was supposed to be directed by Sam Raimi...and now he says he can't because of other projects. I haven't read that book yet, as it's part of the Tiffany Aching series. I want to read The Amazing Maurice and the Educated Rats first!
Oh guess what, guess what? Pratchett's wife's name is Lyn, and he shares copyright of the books with her. Har har. Was telling Winda this morning that if I were to get a husband like Pratchett, I'd be very happy. I'll be the first to read the stories - drafts, plot outlines, characters - plus I'd be living with someone who has a wicked sense of humour. I should put this in my list of things to do before I die:
8. Find someone with a wicked sense of humour.
Followed by -
9. Marry said someone.
And then -
10. Get that orang-utan out of the library, man!
I'll prefer a proboscis monkey actually.
I wonder about Nanny Ogg's The Joye of Snacks really.
Oh look - another Discworld short story: Death and What Comes Next. I think it references Schrodinger's cat, but I'm still trying to get my head round the concept on Wiki. Death is not fond of Schrodinger's cat experiment, because he's a cat lover, see.
Fairly recent interview with Pratchett. New Tiffany Aching book due out, the fourth one, and I haven't even started yet!
Jorge Luis Borges's short story - The Library of Babel. I like these lines -
"Others, inversely, believed that it was fundamental to eliminate useless works. They invaded the hexagons, showed credentials which were not always false, leafed through a volume with displeasure and condemned whole shelves: their hygienic, ascetic furor caused the senseless perdition of millions of books. Their name is execrated, but those who deplore the "treasures" destroyed by this frenzy neglect two notable facts. One: the Library is so enormous that any reduction of human origin is infinitesimal. The other: every copy is unique, irreplaceable, but (since the Library is total) there are always several hundred thousand imperfect facsimiles: works which differ only in a letter or a comma. Counter to general opinion, I venture to suppose that the consequences of the Purifiers' depredations have been exaggerated by the horror these fanatics produced."
Aaarrghhh my head, my head.
Downloaded Rufus Wainwright's cover of the Beatles's Across The Universe a while back, but didn't know it was by the Beatles until I wikied it this morning and found this. Have yet to listen to the original, but I love Wainwright's cover. Until his voice got on my nerves a bit. The video though, is lovely. I don't know if I have watched it before - conscious memory says I haven't! - and yet why did I get that image of a girl in a red dress releasing a red balloon a few weeks ago?
Ye gawds, Youtube now requires people to sign up? What happened to free videos?!
New movie going to be shown soon, a musical, with songs by The Beatles. Across The Universe...go watch the trailer; it's weird and funny at the same time. I wanna watch!
Have been playing the Atonement OST over and over, and my favourite tracks so far are Briony and Elegy for Dunkirk. The latter song has men singing, the soldiers I think, and when you connect it to what happened in the book - it's going to be one of those weepy heartbreaking scenes. Oh man. Bring extra tissues if I do go watch the movie with you in December.
Spent an instructive morning reading the articles of Discworld. The Wee Free Men was supposed to be directed by Sam Raimi...and now he says he can't because of other projects. I haven't read that book yet, as it's part of the Tiffany Aching series. I want to read The Amazing Maurice and the Educated Rats first!
Oh guess what, guess what? Pratchett's wife's name is Lyn, and he shares copyright of the books with her. Har har. Was telling Winda this morning that if I were to get a husband like Pratchett, I'd be very happy. I'll be the first to read the stories - drafts, plot outlines, characters - plus I'd be living with someone who has a wicked sense of humour. I should put this in my list of things to do before I die:
8. Find someone with a wicked sense of humour.
Followed by -
9. Marry said someone.
And then -
10. Get that orang-utan out of the library, man!
I'll prefer a proboscis monkey actually.
I wonder about Nanny Ogg's The Joye of Snacks really.
Oh look - another Discworld short story: Death and What Comes Next. I think it references Schrodinger's cat, but I'm still trying to get my head round the concept on Wiki. Death is not fond of Schrodinger's cat experiment, because he's a cat lover, see.
Fairly recent interview with Pratchett. New Tiffany Aching book due out, the fourth one, and I haven't even started yet!
Jorge Luis Borges's short story - The Library of Babel. I like these lines -
"Others, inversely, believed that it was fundamental to eliminate useless works. They invaded the hexagons, showed credentials which were not always false, leafed through a volume with displeasure and condemned whole shelves: their hygienic, ascetic furor caused the senseless perdition of millions of books. Their name is execrated, but those who deplore the "treasures" destroyed by this frenzy neglect two notable facts. One: the Library is so enormous that any reduction of human origin is infinitesimal. The other: every copy is unique, irreplaceable, but (since the Library is total) there are always several hundred thousand imperfect facsimiles: works which differ only in a letter or a comma. Counter to general opinion, I venture to suppose that the consequences of the Purifiers' depredations have been exaggerated by the horror these fanatics produced."
Aaarrghhh my head, my head.

2 Comments:
Go. Read. The. Wee. Free. Men.
then follow-up with A Hat Full of Sky, which is my favorite Pratchett book, like, EVER.
Oh hello! =D
All right, will do. Thanks!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home