Wee and free
Was watching ESPN this evening with my parents - the pundits were talking about match predictions, yadda yadda, I've stopped following football for more than a year anyway :P - and saw one guy in London wearing a red poppy on his coat, with a dinky red bow-tie. His fellow speaker was wearing an even dinkier shiny pink bow-tie, and I was wondering what the occasion was.
So my father told me. Something about poppies. Remembrance Day.
And Blog of Note today was this. Looks interesting. Oh yay! More blogs to read!
Oh yeah, did I tell you that I watched Letters from Iwo Jima last month? Applaud me! I've never sat through an entire war movie before! Usually because of the missing limbs and blood. But the movie - beautiful, man. (I can't believe I'm saying this.)
Right. Right.
I'M ON HOLIDAY!
WOOHOO!
TILL JANUARY!
I wish NS would hurry up and send the letter already. They haven't, you know. And the first batch is leaving on the 29th of December.
I've got plans for the holidays!
1. eat
2. sleep
3. read
4. bernano
5. eat
6. sleep
7. read
8. bernano
and repeat and repeat, ad nauseam, ad infinitum.
I'm loving this already :)
Another excerpt from The Wee Free Men!
A lot of stories were highly suspicious, in her [Tiffany's] opinion. There was the one that ended when the two good children pushed the wicked witch into her own oven. Tiffany had worried about that after the trouble with Mrs. Snapperly. Stories like this stopped people thinking properly, she was sure. She'd read that one and thought, Excuse me? No one has an oven big enough to get a whole person in, and what made the children think they could just walk around eating people's houses in any case? And why does some boy too stupid to know a cow is worth a lot more than five beans have the right to murder a giant and steal all his gold? Not to mention commit an act of ecological vandalism? And some girl who can't tell the difference between the wolf and her grandmother must either have been as dense as teak or come from an extremely ugly family.
Tiffany reminds me of Susan Sto-Helit somehow. I likes it!
Neil Gaiman mentioned once on his blog, something about how fairy tales originally started out as gory and bloody, and then people decided that children shouldn't know about the blood, so they took out the dirty bits and made it sanitized. And then Disney came along and made the Little Mermaid have an extremely irritating daughter, when in fact, she died in the original story. The link to the Straight Dope article is here. (Used to spend hours on Straight Dope. Wonder why I stopped. The site's awesome - all the useless information that you may never need, but which may just come in handy for you to show off to people reading your blog.)
Gaiman's version of Snow White, Snow, Glass, Apples was one really weird story. Oh cool, there's an online version here! Go read! And you'll never watch Snow White in the same way again.
*sends a Nac Mac Feegle to headbutt you*
Ah Facebook. I should suggest the Fightpoke above.
You'll be so totally defeated.
So my father told me. Something about poppies. Remembrance Day.
And Blog of Note today was this. Looks interesting. Oh yay! More blogs to read!
Oh yeah, did I tell you that I watched Letters from Iwo Jima last month? Applaud me! I've never sat through an entire war movie before! Usually because of the missing limbs and blood. But the movie - beautiful, man. (I can't believe I'm saying this.)
Right. Right.
I'M ON HOLIDAY!
WOOHOO!
TILL JANUARY!
I wish NS would hurry up and send the letter already. They haven't, you know. And the first batch is leaving on the 29th of December.
I've got plans for the holidays!
1. eat
2. sleep
3. read
4. bernano
5. eat
6. sleep
7. read
8. bernano
and repeat and repeat, ad nauseam, ad infinitum.
I'm loving this already :)
Another excerpt from The Wee Free Men!
A lot of stories were highly suspicious, in her [Tiffany's] opinion. There was the one that ended when the two good children pushed the wicked witch into her own oven. Tiffany had worried about that after the trouble with Mrs. Snapperly. Stories like this stopped people thinking properly, she was sure. She'd read that one and thought, Excuse me? No one has an oven big enough to get a whole person in, and what made the children think they could just walk around eating people's houses in any case? And why does some boy too stupid to know a cow is worth a lot more than five beans have the right to murder a giant and steal all his gold? Not to mention commit an act of ecological vandalism? And some girl who can't tell the difference between the wolf and her grandmother must either have been as dense as teak or come from an extremely ugly family.
Tiffany reminds me of Susan Sto-Helit somehow. I likes it!
Neil Gaiman mentioned once on his blog, something about how fairy tales originally started out as gory and bloody, and then people decided that children shouldn't know about the blood, so they took out the dirty bits and made it sanitized. And then Disney came along and made the Little Mermaid have an extremely irritating daughter, when in fact, she died in the original story. The link to the Straight Dope article is here. (Used to spend hours on Straight Dope. Wonder why I stopped. The site's awesome - all the useless information that you may never need, but which may just come in handy for you to show off to people reading your blog.)
Gaiman's version of Snow White, Snow, Glass, Apples was one really weird story. Oh cool, there's an online version here! Go read! And you'll never watch Snow White in the same way again.
*sends a Nac Mac Feegle to headbutt you*
Ah Facebook. I should suggest the Fightpoke above.
You'll be so totally defeated.

2 Comments:
wow. that version is....i can't describe it. words fail me.
i'm glad they toned it down then!
steph
Stephanie! =D
Er...Gaiman's a bit twisted. Sometimes I really wonder where he gets his ideas from...yeah, it was a good thing the original one was toned down for kids! =S
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home