Thursday, January 10, 2008

The story so far:

And thus did someone spake thusly:

"heheh...u lama tak blog dah eh?"

"tak biasa not getting updates"

And I realise that I have to fill the void* in my life that used to be filled with many happy hours of blogging.

And thus shall I blog about more -

THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY!

Almost done with Adams's second h2g2 book, The Restaurant at the end of the Universe.

Rip-roaring fun. The preface goes:

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.


...and you know you're in for some awesome h2g2 fun.

Zaphod Beeblebrox is in his element here. Loved him, despite him being an egotistical, tactless, insensitive and extremely rude guy.

"If I ever meet myself," said Zaphod, "I'll hit myself so hard I won't know what's hit me."

LMAO.

One of my favourite passages in the book -

...It said "The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

This has led to some interesting consequences. For instance, when the editors of the Guide were sued by the families of those who had died as a result of taking the entry on the planet Traal literally (it said "Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts often make a very good meal for visiting tourists" instead of "Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts often make a very good meal of visiting tourists"), they claimed that the first version of the sentence was the more aesthetically pleasing, summoned a qualified poet to testify under oath that beauty was truth, truth beauty and hoped thereby to prove that the guilty party in this case was Life itself for failing to be either beautiful or true. The judges concurred, and in a moving speech held that Life itself was in contempt of court, and duly confiscated it from all those there present before going off to enjoy a pleasant evening's ultragolf.


That said, my blog should be pretty beautiful by then, seeing as I try (try, ahem) not to lie as much as possible.

Righto. More weird things in here -

The Total Perspective Vortex.

The Dish of the Day - an animal specifically bred to be slaughtered and eaten by people (not so weird eh) but with the added advantage of having the ability to speak and tell prospective diners which part of it is good as the dish of the day. ("I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in parts of my body?")

Oolon Colluphid - who writes books such as: Where God Went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes, Who Is This God Person Anyway?, Everything You Never Wanted To Know About Sex But Have Been Forced To Find Out and etc etc.

And yes, we have more Marvin.

Oooo, the depressive cuteness!

On being left in a parking lot for 500 million years: "The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into sort of a decline."

You just want to grab him and give him a hug. And a kiss. And several anti-depressant pills.

And one of my favourite excerpts from any book -

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

Whoops, I just spammed the entire post. Tsk tsk.

Sources: Wikiquote, Wikipedia, and the 1982 Pocket Books edition of said book.

Dropped by Taylors today. Still the same old crowds :) You know which ones are the juniors, all right.

And I have forgotten what I wanted to blog about an hour ago.

Meh. Golden Globes canceled. And McAvoy is nominated this year too!

*As "void" as you can get with college, and driving lessons, and miscellaneous nap times (I honestly didn't expect them to be that long, but one hour let to another, and another...) and assignments and homework.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home