Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Allow me

this space to rant.

Before I go absolutely Librarian poo.

Right. List.

1. Heath Ledger is dead

Shocked. Found out the news on I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER? I mean - whyyyyyyyyyyyy?!

2. Lousy service

Finally got my watch back - after 3 weeks, when the shop said two, and didn't even bother to call to tell me that the watch was ready - and whaddaya know, the battery had to go kaput then. So went back to the shop and the guy said he can fix the battery. Right. Waited. Hah, apparently one of the needles fell out after he fixed the battery. Said it would be ready in half an hour. Went back. He was serving other customers. Said it was almost done. Waited another half an hour. The guy sent his colleague to speak to my mum. He couldn't fix it, so they're sending it back to HQ to fix. Will it take another three weeks? We shall see.

I mean, it would be okay if you just said that you can't fix it and ask us to come another day. But the way he handled it, it seemed like he was giving this impression of "WTF do I care about your watch?"

Service, people. At least Singaporeans can boast about having better service in shops than we do here.

3. I went into MPH and saw that they only have Pratchett's Small Gods...and another I've read before

Not surprising eh. It's *Parade* after all.

4. IS SCIENCE FICTION PART OF FANTASY, or vice versa?

It is NOT. I say no! Nononononononono! Argghhhhh. I mean, MPH still has the sense to separate these two genres, but Borders (the new one in The Gardens) had them all under "Science Fiction". Pfffffffffffft. Since when did Susanna Clarke, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett write "science fiction"?

5. Okay, I seem to get Science Fiction whenever I google "Fantasy"

Doesn't Fantasy exist as a genre in itself?!

6. This is not helping my research

Research shmeesearch. Why did I choose this topic?

7. WHY????????!!!!!!!

8. I could have written about book-banning!

So many examples here in Malaysia!

And I'll be able to get the books as proof!

9. Or...I could have written about pre-marital sex

Lots of articles on it, see. But the topic's so...bleh.

10. How come Malaysian newspapers don't have that many columns on lit?

I mean not "lit" as the high-brow "OMG I'm reading this-and-that book and I'm so smart because I'm reading it" lit...but more towards books in general.

Reviews can be used, but...why do I get the feeling that the Brit papers have more relevant articles?

(Because they actually do? Meh.)

11. Argh. But then again - try asking a bookshop for a not-so-popular book before it's made into a movie starring Tom Cruise/Angelina Jolie/everyone else in Hollywood

I remember looking for The Time Traveler's Wife. Hah.

Me: "Do you have The Time Traveller's Wife?"

Staff: "New one?"

Me: "Yeah."

Staff: "Lemme check."

I wait...

Staff: "Time Travellers can onot?"

Actually...I have seen Time Travellers in most bookshops. Probably excess stock - I dunno lar. But come on laaaaaaaarrrrrrrr...

And now I see Niffenegger's book everywhere. Makes you want to go scream for not waiting longer, donch it?

12. What's with the "You must be 18 and above to register"?

Stooooopit. Like the policy even works on Myspace in the first place.

How come a kid of 17 can't subscribe to a newspaper because she's not 18 yet?!

So yeah, I'm *lying* about my details. Like the rest of the world.

13. Will Juno be shown here?

I really, really, REALLY hope so.

14. I'm scared

of Maths.

Thank God there's only 3 dimensions.

(And don't be a smart aleck and say there are more than 3 dimensions. I hetchew. Wait till you see what I have to do - you won't be laughing so hard then.)

15. I still don't see why Fantasy is part of Science Fiction.

16. Just because I a) look, b) am, c) was born a Chinese does not mean that I can speak Mandarin, Hakka, Hokkien, Cantonese or Teochew.

I is banana. I gone case liao, no hope.

Especially when the salesperson in a shop begins to speak to you in any Chinese dialect and you can't understand...they'll obligingly switch to English, but you get the feeling that they kinda look at you differently (mildly condescending, sweetly superior) because you're Chinese and can't speak any dialect.

Huh. Maybe I can pretend to be Elvish.

Si vanwa na?

Nai elye hiruva. Namarie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home