Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Somebody else's problem

Meh. I don't know why I'm blogging at almost 12 when I have to wake up so early tomorrow.

Righto. Finished Douglas Adams's Life, The Universe and Everything, the third book in the h2g2 series.

Things I Liked:

1. Somebody Else's Problem (SEP) field

Forget invisibility and disillusion charms - the SEP field guarantees that whatever you don't want people to see or notice, they won't, because the thingy is somebody else's problem and therefore does not exist.

2. Bistromathics drive

Like the Infinite Improbability drive, but more...reliable.

3. Marvin

Amazing guy. Poor thing too - stuck on a planet for a million years and walking round in a circle for the whole time because his leg was stuck. He had planned to walk backwards in a circle for the next million years - "for the variety, you understand" - before the murderous Krikkit robots took him onto their ship and stole his leg.

"My capacity for happiness," he added, "you could fit into a matchbox without taking out the matches first."

4. Flying

According to The Guide, flying can be achieved by throwing oneself at the ground and missing. Most people, however, find it hard to miss the ground.

"There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that provides the difficulties."

5. Agrajag

Poor thing - keeps being reincarnated, and every time he does, he gets killed by Arthur Dent. Remember that bowl of petunias in the first h2g2 book? Yep, same guy here.

6. Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged

One of the very few immortal beings in the Universe, he spends the rest of his time in eternity on his personal mission to insult each and every being in the Universe. Personally, with carefully chosen words.

...and a whole lot of other characters you probably wouldn't want to know much more.

Warning though - if you can't stand Terry Pratchett's books, then avoid h2g2. Seriously. Not that I'm implying anything, but then again...

You wouldn't stand a whelk's chance in a supernova in trying to enjoy the books.

I feel like doing a Marvin right now.

What would be the point of - well - everything?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home