Bring it on back
Funny thing, the Butterfly Effect. A quake occurs in Taiwan and almost all Internet connections around the world are disrupted. Thank goodness I can blog here!
Read a bit more of Plath's journals, and she was a pretty intense person. Acidic - much more than I can be, really - and perfectly frank when she reflects upon her relationships with men and family. And she had an odd sense of humour, quite twisted. So what exactly drove her to her death? The Bell Jar was published days before her death under her pseudonym Victoria Lucas; could this have been a sign that she was ready to let go?
On happier subjects...I've been reading Gossip Girl. Yes yes, that series for teen girls which I have been condemning for months now. But my sister started reading, and I just had to pick it up...quite light reading, mostly fluff...but it's addictive! And there's an interesting character in there, Dan Humphrey who's into Jean Paul Sartre, existentialism and The Sorrows of Young Werther. Some depressive guy who seems to exist on cigarettes, coffee and writing poetry to one of the main characters in the book: the perfect Serena Van der Woodsen with her perfect body, sweet personality, who resides on posh Fifth Avenue and who can pretty much dangle any boy from any of her perfectly manicured fingers.
The other characters aren't that riveting; there are...
Blair Waldorf - the spoilt brat who thinks she has a perfect right to everything, from the best guy on Fifth Avenue as her boyfriend to social immunity
Jenny Humphrey - Dan's sister renowned for her impressive bust size (bear in mind that this is Gossip Girl)
Nate Archibald - rich guy, drug junkie, Blair's "soulmate" and often in love with Serena but due to his irreparable brain damage, doesn't realise that he is
...and a few other characters screaming cliche! when they appear.
I grew up reading Enid Blyton's school stories and Sweet Valley. Gossip Girl is just the next step. Maybe I should read more Sophie Kinsella. I didn't like The Devil Wears Prada. Andy was as much a bitch as Miranda.
I'm listening to Jet right now! And I don't care! I don't care! Don't care! Don't care!
By the way, a particular line in Bloc Party's This Modern Love has been bugging me since I heard it, but I keep forgetting to ask...does the line 'To be lost in a forest, to be caught adrift; you've been trying to reach me; you bought me a book' reference Sue Miller's Lost in the Forest? I nearly bought the book months ago, so if anybody did read it...can you please please please tell me how was it?
Anyone remember Sixpence None the Richer's Kiss Me? It's playing right now on my mp3, one of my favourite songs, surprisingly. So sweet, and none of Rice's aching loneliness with it, like in The Animals were Gone, with its bittersweet lines running: yesterday you asked me to write you a pleasant song, I'll do my best now but you've been gone for so long.
There are many things I have been missing about school:
a) talking to my friends any time I want to
b) the crap canteen food
c) watching teachers blow up or joke with us
d) my comfy school uniform - though I thought the pinafore was ridiculous
e) Add Maths
A stanza from Thomas Lovell Bedoes's Dream Pedlary:
If there were dreams to sell,
What would you buy?
Some cost a passing bell;
Some a light sigh,
That shakes from Life's fresh crown
Only a rose-leaf down.
If there were dreams to sell,
Merry and sad to tell,
And the crier rang the bell,
What would you buy?
A funny whim: Imagine some person spreading his wares on mats and rugs in a market place selling dreams. Might have got the idea from Gaiman's Stardust...oh plagiarism.
Another thing I found last night about the Sylvia Plath effect. Here's a citation:
Kaufman and psychologist John Baer, PhD, of Rider University, theorize in the Review of General Psychology (Vol. 6, No. 3) that creative people - specifically, eminent female poets -may be more prone to mental illness if they are more vulnerable to extrinsic motivational constraints, such as interpersonal relationships.
Then there was Emily Dickinson and her poems on death. Sara Teasdale and her overdose of sleeping pills. I need to stop thinking about depression, stop writing bad "poetry" on depression and when in depression, stop reading depressing books and poems!
Thinking about next year (it's less than a week away!) gives me the jimjams, that goosebumpyish feeling which isn't exactly pleasant, yet not really uncomfortable.
One word:
Apprehension.
And I haven't watched Wicker Park and Elizabeth!
Read a bit more of Plath's journals, and she was a pretty intense person. Acidic - much more than I can be, really - and perfectly frank when she reflects upon her relationships with men and family. And she had an odd sense of humour, quite twisted. So what exactly drove her to her death? The Bell Jar was published days before her death under her pseudonym Victoria Lucas; could this have been a sign that she was ready to let go?
On happier subjects...I've been reading Gossip Girl. Yes yes, that series for teen girls which I have been condemning for months now. But my sister started reading, and I just had to pick it up...quite light reading, mostly fluff...but it's addictive! And there's an interesting character in there, Dan Humphrey who's into Jean Paul Sartre, existentialism and The Sorrows of Young Werther. Some depressive guy who seems to exist on cigarettes, coffee and writing poetry to one of the main characters in the book: the perfect Serena Van der Woodsen with her perfect body, sweet personality, who resides on posh Fifth Avenue and who can pretty much dangle any boy from any of her perfectly manicured fingers.
The other characters aren't that riveting; there are...
Blair Waldorf - the spoilt brat who thinks she has a perfect right to everything, from the best guy on Fifth Avenue as her boyfriend to social immunity
Jenny Humphrey - Dan's sister renowned for her impressive bust size (bear in mind that this is Gossip Girl)
Nate Archibald - rich guy, drug junkie, Blair's "soulmate" and often in love with Serena but due to his irreparable brain damage, doesn't realise that he is
...and a few other characters screaming cliche! when they appear.
I grew up reading Enid Blyton's school stories and Sweet Valley. Gossip Girl is just the next step. Maybe I should read more Sophie Kinsella. I didn't like The Devil Wears Prada. Andy was as much a bitch as Miranda.
I'm listening to Jet right now! And I don't care! I don't care! Don't care! Don't care!
By the way, a particular line in Bloc Party's This Modern Love has been bugging me since I heard it, but I keep forgetting to ask...does the line 'To be lost in a forest, to be caught adrift; you've been trying to reach me; you bought me a book' reference Sue Miller's Lost in the Forest? I nearly bought the book months ago, so if anybody did read it...can you please please please tell me how was it?
Anyone remember Sixpence None the Richer's Kiss Me? It's playing right now on my mp3, one of my favourite songs, surprisingly. So sweet, and none of Rice's aching loneliness with it, like in The Animals were Gone, with its bittersweet lines running: yesterday you asked me to write you a pleasant song, I'll do my best now but you've been gone for so long.
There are many things I have been missing about school:
a) talking to my friends any time I want to
b) the crap canteen food
c) watching teachers blow up or joke with us
d) my comfy school uniform - though I thought the pinafore was ridiculous
e) Add Maths
A stanza from Thomas Lovell Bedoes's Dream Pedlary:
If there were dreams to sell,
What would you buy?
Some cost a passing bell;
Some a light sigh,
That shakes from Life's fresh crown
Only a rose-leaf down.
If there were dreams to sell,
Merry and sad to tell,
And the crier rang the bell,
What would you buy?
A funny whim: Imagine some person spreading his wares on mats and rugs in a market place selling dreams. Might have got the idea from Gaiman's Stardust...oh plagiarism.
Another thing I found last night about the Sylvia Plath effect. Here's a citation:
Kaufman and psychologist John Baer, PhD, of Rider University, theorize in the Review of General Psychology (Vol. 6, No. 3) that creative people - specifically, eminent female poets -may be more prone to mental illness if they are more vulnerable to extrinsic motivational constraints, such as interpersonal relationships.
Then there was Emily Dickinson and her poems on death. Sara Teasdale and her overdose of sleeping pills. I need to stop thinking about depression, stop writing bad "poetry" on depression and when in depression, stop reading depressing books and poems!
Thinking about next year (it's less than a week away!) gives me the jimjams, that goosebumpyish feeling which isn't exactly pleasant, yet not really uncomfortable.
One word:
Apprehension.
And I haven't watched Wicker Park and Elizabeth!

3 Comments:
Hey that explains my lousy connection!
Hmpph I so wanna read Plath!!!
Gossip girls huh? ever tried Fearless? should be in the same category, Francine Pascal's the author. Its kinda nostalgic reading those books again.
Always popular good-looking teens with expensive designer brands...no wonder kids these days are so particular
I'm curious. Did you find Sophie's World a light read? I never thought of it that way until you asked. I suppose at times it was because those were the times I'd get annoyed if the pc wasnt on to look stuff up. Other times it got heavy I'd go grab a bite or watch tv a bit...Dont mind me, I'm so indecisive these days.
Haaah ya I've not seen those movies yet! Jeremy Irons has that natural noble aura doesnt he?
Ever heard of Jonathan Safran Foer? you know, his book Everything is Illuminated's been made a movie. I saw the DVD in Genting but...well It was expensive. Elijah Wood on the cover and all...
I saw Starter for Ten too. The book i mean. I had some problems locating the movie. Some ...dim DVD peddler went: aiyo ape title aaah?...
That was extremely ...dim.
Ah well. Looking forward to more movie days. Nice to have you over.
Hi Ameera! =D
I can lend you The Bell Jar if you want...
Nope, never tried Fearless. It started after I got over my Sweet Valley phase, and I didn't bother to read it...I went over to adult fiction then.
Weeeell...I asked that question because I went to Inti that day to register, and there was a boy who brought along the book to read while waiting for some stuff to be processed...ehehehehehehe...I guess I'm slightly biased maybe.
Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated! Chin Lei recommended it! She has the DVD! (Chin Lei, where art thou?) Yep, I'm interested in watching the movie too. And Foer had another book recently, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...Have you read that? If you have, please tell me...
Starter for Ten...is it a major Hollywood flick? I can't remember if it is...eh...but I guess DVD peddlers are more familiar with American and not British movies. (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a must-watch for lovers of slapstick British humour! =P)
Yeah, movie days, I love those...thanks Ameera :)
Haha thanks for the offer but Shahira just reminded me about reading other materials not law related. Unfair really. I should really start thinking 'bout time management or something...
I kinda gave up on fearless. There was some banned period placed on it during the days when I was really into it so finding them became a real pain.
I've not read anything other than Everything is Illuminated. I should probably read it again..its the one where Safran's granpa had a dead arm which got him real popular with the ladies i think. I keep confusing some details with Joseph O'Connor's Star of the Sea. I told Shahira I didnt like either book but I think I'll be able to appreciate the message whatsoever the 2nd time round. Han Yang had mentioned reading one of the 2 newer ones though he couldnt remember the title when he told me so.
Starter for Ten's a major motion picture (says so on the book) I saw on your friend, Ainaa Azhar's blog. I've been a big fan of James McAvoy since Dune.
I havent seen The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy mostly because Shahira would have to put great effort in tyring to get me to watch comedy. But I'll give it a try [for a change].
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home