Happenstance
I thought I had some idea what to write...and when I get here, I find that this mind is dead.
Maybe it's my guilty conscience speaking - it's Chemistry tomorrow, but I haven't had the motivation to touch those books.
Anyway - who was the only 5 Serojian girl who took the English test today? The rest thought it was a waste of time...up to you lah. (By the way, Yuvy, I wasn't the only girl who went; Desiree went too. And Syafiqah was the other girl who took the test.)
Do you know, for the first time in so many posts, I really have no idea what to write here. I'm not going to list down my marks for trials like some of you have...I have seen 'em, yep, and the only thing I'm going to say is this:
Sederet A1's yang begitu menakutkan!
I've exhausted my ideas. No memes, no crap poetry, no songs...no, wait - that stupid Hokey-Pokey song keeps playing in my head.
And also, Rachel Yamagata. =)
Perhaps I'm being a bit of a stickler here; not-so-spontaneous writing then. I've written so much for the essay today!
Wikipedia's having problems loading again. Argh.
And it breaks my heart-eart-eart-eart-eart!
That word, happenstance. It means: an event that might have been arranged although it was really accidental. A combination of 'happening' and 'circumstance'.
I just liked the word.
Happenstance is the meeting between two strangers who have never met before, normally in a completely random situation. For example, picking up something for someone in a supermarket and then talking to them, this first time is called the happenstance. What follows a chance circumstance is a coincidence, seeing the same person later on. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word originated as an amalgamation of 'happening' and 'circumstance', and has been in use since the 19th Century.
I wonder how many times happenstance occurs every day in our daily lives. And think about it - possibly half the people in your life right now could be the result of happenstance.
Chaos theory again? The Butterfly Effect!
World music from the National Geographic site. (I can almost hear Yuvha's and Chloe's eyeballs creaking in their sockets as they roll their eyes.)
I wonder if I'm a pessimist/ cynic or just a romantic in denial. Someone recently commented that it was strange that a girl my age has no interest whatsoever in romance novels.
I'm being grossly biased, but here are the reasons I would probably give:
a) aimless plot - I do not care if the hero jets off to Brazil in search of another woman; if he's gone, he's gone.
b) sex scenes - that's not the whole idea of love!
c) unrealistic heroines - crabby old woman speaks: those ladies are too good to be true. I wonder why they failed in their first/third/gazillionth relationship in the first place
d) mushy endings - I have a strange liking for sad, possibly ambiguous endings. They don't have the fuzz factor, true, but the whole idea of the girl riding off with her Prince Charming sounds...almost unbelievably dream-come-true.
Funny. And I'm listening to Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars as I type this.
OH PLEASE LAH, Lynn, GO STUDY!!
Worn me down like a road.
I did everything you told.
Worn me down to my knees.
I did everything to please.
But you can’t stop thinking about her.
~ Worn Me Down, Rachel Yamagata
P.S. - Thanks Ainaa, for the recommendation!
Maybe it's my guilty conscience speaking - it's Chemistry tomorrow, but I haven't had the motivation to touch those books.
Anyway - who was the only 5 Serojian girl who took the English test today? The rest thought it was a waste of time...up to you lah. (By the way, Yuvy, I wasn't the only girl who went; Desiree went too. And Syafiqah was the other girl who took the test.)
Do you know, for the first time in so many posts, I really have no idea what to write here. I'm not going to list down my marks for trials like some of you have...I have seen 'em, yep, and the only thing I'm going to say is this:
Sederet A1's yang begitu menakutkan!
I've exhausted my ideas. No memes, no crap poetry, no songs...no, wait - that stupid Hokey-Pokey song keeps playing in my head.
And also, Rachel Yamagata. =)
Perhaps I'm being a bit of a stickler here; not-so-spontaneous writing then. I've written so much for the essay today!
Wikipedia's having problems loading again. Argh.
And it breaks my heart-eart-eart-eart-eart!
That word, happenstance. It means: an event that might have been arranged although it was really accidental. A combination of 'happening' and 'circumstance'.
I just liked the word.
Happenstance is the meeting between two strangers who have never met before, normally in a completely random situation. For example, picking up something for someone in a supermarket and then talking to them, this first time is called the happenstance. What follows a chance circumstance is a coincidence, seeing the same person later on. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word originated as an amalgamation of 'happening' and 'circumstance', and has been in use since the 19th Century.
I wonder how many times happenstance occurs every day in our daily lives. And think about it - possibly half the people in your life right now could be the result of happenstance.
Chaos theory again? The Butterfly Effect!
World music from the National Geographic site. (I can almost hear Yuvha's and Chloe's eyeballs creaking in their sockets as they roll their eyes.)
I wonder if I'm a pessimist/ cynic or just a romantic in denial. Someone recently commented that it was strange that a girl my age has no interest whatsoever in romance novels.
I'm being grossly biased, but here are the reasons I would probably give:
a) aimless plot - I do not care if the hero jets off to Brazil in search of another woman; if he's gone, he's gone.
b) sex scenes - that's not the whole idea of love!
c) unrealistic heroines - crabby old woman speaks: those ladies are too good to be true. I wonder why they failed in their first/third/gazillionth relationship in the first place
d) mushy endings - I have a strange liking for sad, possibly ambiguous endings. They don't have the fuzz factor, true, but the whole idea of the girl riding off with her Prince Charming sounds...almost unbelievably dream-come-true.
Funny. And I'm listening to Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars as I type this.
OH PLEASE LAH, Lynn, GO STUDY!!
Worn me down like a road.
I did everything you told.
Worn me down to my knees.
I did everything to please.
But you can’t stop thinking about her.
~ Worn Me Down, Rachel Yamagata
P.S. - Thanks Ainaa, for the recommendation!

2 Comments:
isthmus!
ok so not much of an interesting word like happenstance...just has a nice sound to it...
The Butterfly Effect was really one of those movies that blew my socks off! Not many movies have that effect...got my head spinning with 'what ifs'
Romance novels huh? I always thought that they have these predictable plots, often too much explantion of physical scenes and happy endings. In short, I'm of the same opinion. Most of them anyway. Plus I dont think they do much to enhance one's vocab. But of course that's just what I think. Ambiguous storylines/endings totally keeps the brain working throughout the movie/book. Like studying unconciously...cool
Hi Ameera! =D
Unfortunately I haven't watched the Butterfly Effect yet, I think someone has it though... ;)
Oh yes, isthmus! I first heard it when I read 'Isthmus of Corinth'. Did like the word too.
Glad to hear someone shares my views on romance novels. :P
Ambiguous meanings do keep the brain working...but sometimes, I admit, I get frustrated that the story was so unresolved! =.="
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home