Sunday, October 01, 2006

Green Ego Blog

The search for the perfect ondeh-ondeh still continues. Those being sold at the Ramadhan bazaar were blah compared to the one I ate years ago in Malacca. Oh...that was the best I have had so far. It was made by a Nyonya family, and it had just the right amount of gula melaka - in fact, it was so squishily gooey that the brown liquid squirted all over my shirt when I bit into it. The ones I had from the bazaar were so chewy...and the gula melaka was CRUNCHY. That was so wrong! And the other one I ate had virtually non-existent gula. Big disappointment.

Oh well. You can't always get what you want.

Not to mention that Lolita book Chin Lei has her eye on...

It's quite depressing sometimes, to step into a bookshop and feast your eyes on all those books and words, and then you realise that your pocket's so shallow it only holds fluff and SPM is coming up in less than two months.

Has anyone heard of The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue? Neat reworking of the myth of Faeries and changelings. First time I ever saw it...in Borders. My heart is torn!

I have been told recently that my ego has grown to a truly magnificent entity. It's boundless; it's beautiful; it's big, and it ain't ashamed to say it loud and proud.

Friend: Wah, someone ada big ego now lah?

Me: Of course!

Friend: The Universe doesn't revolve around you, you know.

Me: I know.

Friend looks quizzical.

Me: I AM the Universe! The Universe is expanding because my ego is expanding so quickly!

Friend: dot dot dot

If it looks familiar, it's because it is. Ha.

Dhamma class had another discussion today on the ego, and how people have both the egocentric and the non-egocentric mind. When you're too egocentric, it can be quite bad to the world in general...while if you're too non-egocentric, it seems that you are likely to get trampled on.

I see. But a healthy dose of the ego helps to keep up the fragile self-esteem. Got that - I've been there, gone through that. It was hell.

I conducted an interview with my egocentric side today, and here it is:

Q: So what do you think is Malaysia's most important asset?
A: Me. Duh.

Q: And why is that?
A: It's obvious, obviously.

Q: I see. What is your opinion on the examination format in SPM?
A: It contradicts itself so much it's almost like watching a tragicomedy when the papers are marked.

Q: Have you had personal experience with this problem?
A: Puh - leese! Of course I have! DUH!

Q: If Matt Bellamy were to visit Malaysia soon, what would you recommend to him?
A: Interesting question. I don't know, because I don't think he'll ever think of visiting this country. But I'll tell him that I'm the best thing that ever happened to Malaysia anyway.

I'm tired and worn out. I'm a freak of nature with moods changing faster than Malaysian humidity.

Ah, woe is me! Is that a happy dagger I see? Where art thou, Matt? Wilt thou ever light up my life, nevermore?

I'm well aware of how it aches.
And you still won't let me in.
Now I'm breaking down your door,
to try and save your swollen face.
Though I don't like you anymore
you lying trying waste of space.

~ Song to Say Goodbye, Placebo

It hits harder than Muse ever did before. And it hits right in the raw, that part which breaks you, slowly, every time it's touched, no matter how lightly.

10 Comments:

Blogger Shahira said...

I know what you mean! Going to Borders yesterday made me wish I could just hold out a bag and throw in all the books I wanted..*sigh* I barely had twenty bucks on me, so obviously, not enough to buy even ONE book...T____T

Oh, I've heard of 'Lolita'. Rasyad's half way through it if I'm not mistaken, or probably done already. He seems to recommend it as well.

P.S: Love that song by Placebo! And I see that you're into Snow Patrol too =)
Have you tried Aqualung?

12:14 am, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

hi sha! =)

yeah...i'll need about a fortune just to buy those books i want.

about Lolita though...i have flipped a bit through it, and i'm kinda doubtful about reading it. very strong suggestions of child pedophilia. =P don't want to get corrupted, but i think playing pictionary in 5 Seroja is enough to make anyone corrupted...

nope. haven't heard any song by aqualung yet!

10:26 am, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

FYI, i read it from ainaa's blog...and told chin lei about it.

well, haven't seen mary in any bookstore yet, not even borders. so where can i find it, eh?

i'm not desperate for books, if you want know. there's still oscar wilde and the harmony silk factory. hah!

4:17 pm, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Shahira said...

For real?? Hmm... he might have left that part out.. either that or I'm the one who forgot...>__>

Yea! The guys keep giving me obscene words I barely know the meaning to ='(

I dont know if you've heard of this site, but it seems to be quite a reliable place to look for music.

http://mp3realm.org/

'Strange & Beautiful' and 'Brighter than Sunshine' by Aqualung. Try those. I have a feeling you might like 'em.

5:34 pm, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

hi again, shahira! =)

well...i guess you were lucky to miss school that friday after exams, because we girls gave many questionable words to those guys when we played charades...(for more info, drop by qian yue's blog. quite detailed)

and thanks for the address! :)

11:50 pm, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEYS!! Oh I've got starlight... and I feel Snow Patrol belong to the likes of Keane and Coldplay... but bugger it... I got 3 from them. My trials were quite terrible really (although I don't know the results...) Oh yea, I watched The Devil Wears Prada... I was kinda cool and my rating for it is 8/10.
Who cares about the story line, the fashion is enough to keep you drooling!! (Kidding.. the storyline was okay and overall I thought it was well executed) You should watch it and gorge yourself in Pradas, Guccis, Mark Jacobs, Chanel....aahhh.... Apparently, some interesting rumours... some ppl said the magazine (RUNWAY) in the show was based on today's VOGUE!! (find out more by googling or wiki-ing it)... I think thats about all for now and who knows... MAYBE...MAYBE Muse might visit M'sia for some tour or whatsoever... and remember 2 watch THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA!!

Ta. For now.

-X2- Her legs were too big for Pradas??

12:25 am, October 03, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

X2!!!!

lucky you! i'm not sure if i'll be able to watch it before spm...oh sheesh, and i've been drooling over those outfits in newspapers!
eh, rumours have said that the boss in the movie is based on Vogue's editor Anna Wintour la...ever since the book was published a few years ago!

Muse in Malaysia? Possibly. I hope so. You keep your fingers crossed too!

Anyway, good luck for your trial results!

P.S. - Can't stand Coldplay and Keane? Then try Placebo la...or Regina Spektor. Or more Muse!! =P

11:10 am, October 03, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

Bleargh. Lucky you.

oh look - 10 comments in one post! first time ever! =D

(don't roll your eyes. it might fall out.)

12:09 pm, October 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! make it 11.

shahira's got good taste. aqualung's great! get "Falling out Of Love" and " Strange and Beautiful".

try wires by athlete too. ainaa recommended.

hey do you like audioslave? if you do, i've got a few songs to recommend i know you'll like.

9:38 pm, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

surekha! again! ;)

yep, heard "Strange and Beautiful", and now on to the other one...

Athletes! I've almost forgotten about them!

Thanks! =D

(i made it 12!)

10:04 pm, October 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home