Sunday, November 09, 2008

It's all gone quantum

Mah own version of a movie review.

Went to watch Quantum of Solace yesterday with the good old buddies.

Or as the movie is known in Malay - Ketenangan dalam Dunia yang Penuh Kesengsaraan (1).

Anyways. The movie.

*There be spoilers under here. Read on at your own risk. I bear no responsibility to the lack of satisfaction you may experience when you do watch the movie because you didn't take the trouble to heed this disclaimer.*

I watched Casino Royale on Astro a few days before, so I could compare la.

Things I liked

1. Action scenes. All the shooting and cinematic explosions. So cantik.

2. More humour from Judi Dench's M. She gets the good one-liners wei.

3. Country hopping.

4. Daniel Craig in the black jacket!!!!!!!! Not the suit - that zipped-up jacket was awesome.

5. OHAI GUISE - let's save the environment! Cos the Americans want the oil, and some people want the water, and some others want the power, and some just want teh monies.

[Is this a trend or what, all this ecology preaching in teh moofies?]

6. Olga Kurylenko. What? She isn't just the token eye-candy like Gemma Arterton's Strawberry Fields.

Things I didn't like

1. Let's say that Le Chiffre is a much more interesting villain compared to Dominic Greene. Greene screams like a bloody girl, and he's just twitchy. Oh he plays dirty and tries to act tough, but methinks the guy would go to pieces if he doesn't have his henchmen and connection around. Le Chiffre rocks - that probabilities counting thing was very teh kewl, cos I wants one too - but unfortunately they killed him off eh.

2. The suspense was better in Casino Royale, especially the poker-playing scenes.

3. Jason Bourne can kick Bond's ass in the action scenes. Seriously. Thoughts like, "I'd rather see Bourne doing this" kept drifting through my head during the flashy action sequences.

4. The female leads weren't as great as Eva Green's Vesper Lynd. Vesper was memorable - I liked her; there's something about Eva Green herself that holds my attention. (Too bad they wasted her as Serafina Pekkala in The Golden Compass, sadly.)

5. You know, I hate to say this...but...all that country hopping. It made me think of Artemis Fowl. Go read the books and you'll see what I mean.

Sometimes I wonder why the fairies just don't lock Arty up and tell him to PLEASE STOP USING FAIRY TRANSPORT TO GO KAI-KAI ROUND TEH WORLDZ.

(But that's one of the charms of the AF books...oh jeez.)

6. Craig. Okay, so maybe the script didn't give him much character thingy - wish they did though. He's been transformed into a lean, mean killing machine with a blank face.

7. Eh. Action scenes. Very the mabuk. Granted, LOTR has mabuking action scenes too - but as the Bourne trilogy has shown, you can show these scenes without confusing the audience. And that rooftop chase thing was definitely not as cool as the one in the Bourne Ultimatum. =D

8. The Americans and the CIA are evil!!! Right, what's new?

Overall - entertaining. But I'd rather watch the Bourne trilogy again.

New interview with Colfer here.

And I finally bought Hope Mirrlees's Lud-in-the-Mist. The fairies are more like Susanna Clarke's, I think. Will see how it turns out.

(1) 'Cos we don't have a word for "quantum" in Malay (2). Which begs the question of why the Education Ministry just won't leave the issue about language for Science and Maths alone and stick to English.

(2) Or it might just end up being spelled as "kuantum". Hur hur.

Edit:

Sorry, my mistake. There is a word for "quantum" in Malay. It's called..."kuantum".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home