Sunday, August 31, 2008

Trouble can drop-kick you any time

Not a fitting title for our 51st Merdeka, really, but considering how I ushered in this auspicious day, you would think it is.

Now, this is what I was doing at 12 a.m. last night (not that you would care - and I don't blame you :) :

1. Reading bad fanfiction online at the LJ community. Lots of gems, including obscene doughnuts and bleeding chocolate milk. Venture in at your own risk.

2. Laughing. A lot.

3. Talking to Chin Lei online. About bad fanfic. And laughing. A lot.

4. Talking to Jess online. In which we both agreed that Artemis Fowl is a sissy.

5. Reading a Twilight haters community. Never read the book, just skimmed through a bit in bookshops. What I read has not impressed me.

[Somebody make me icons quick - "I am not impressed with this shit." My kingdom for Photoshop!]

Funny thing about this Twilight phenomenon though - even friends I wouldn't expect to read the books are reading them. And liking them. Hmm.

Oh, and I flipped to the last chapter of Breaking Dawn in MPH yesterday. (Them idiots can stock Twilight, but they can't stock the new Fowl book? EPIC FAIL.) The chapter title goes, "The Happily Ever After". I am very suspicious of books that end "happily ever after". Call it cynicism or realism, but not everyone gets what they want, right? (And sometimes it's better they didn't. Really.) And the last line...something about "our perfect piece of forever". =.=" Eww.

And Meyer likes Muse. So does Bella.

Trouble will viciously kick your daisy right now, kthxbai.

7. Not blogging about what it means "to be Malaysian", or musing about "our past 51 years", or the emo angstness of typical 18-year-old girls everywhere.

This year's Merdeka doesn't have the atmosphere. Sure, we have the obligatory songs on radio (last week: Tanggal 31 playing on radio - asked my parents why the guy singing sounds so weird - he's already dead, apparently), the obligatory banners, the obligatory contests, the obligatory columns in newspapers about what it means to be Malaysian - but I'm not getting it. I'm just. Not. Getting. It.

Oh yeah, and the obligatory flags stuck in every place imaginable, especially cars. Some are just plain ridiculous, really. Especially when the flags are so huge, they drag on the road and turn black and dirty. You call that patriotism?

And the fireworks this year were practically non-existent. Oh yeah. I wonder what they were polluting, hmmm?

Anyways, my parents think I'm crazy for laughing my abs off while reading Twilight snark online. It was either that or reading more Artemis Fowl fanfics. In which he goes emo. Not a hard choice to make, is it now?

I wouldn't mind if you start bashing Artemis Fowl, really. The fanfics I've been reading were all Arty bashing. Bring on the fun, hur hur. I'll gladly join you too.

Oh, Happy Merdeka to you too.

I won't be satisfied until I get the...more...accurate history of our country. Just saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home