Saturday, September 01, 2007

Headdesk moment #2

It seems that I can't find the History tab for Internet Explorer on Vista. Help me out if you do know, I've got all my fanfic links there!

*headdesk*

Anyway, some I've remembered...

Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks fandom now...I think I've switched somewhat. All because of this writer, Lady Bracknell. I like her humour. And so, a few post-DH ones...

Blood Will Out: A Harry and Dudley reunion fic. I was complaining about how Rowling left their relationship hanging, but this fic fills it in nicely.

The Birthday Boy: A Teddy Lupin fic on his 17th birthday. Read it if you like heart-wrenching fics.

Season of Goodwill: one of the few fics regarding the relationship between Albus and Aberforth; lots of goats, be warned.

The mouse wasn't working on the main computer. I blackmailed my sister because she doesn't know the password to THIS one.

Life's good - without LG.

Lame actually - LG stands for Life's Good. Could have stood for...

1. Lifesaving Goats

2. Loo Gnomes

3. Lover's Gout

4. Loony's Gorgeous

5. Lame Girls (I'm not sexist, mind you)

6. Lava Gloats

7. Lip Gloss

They're all pretty lame actually =/

*headdesk*

Ooo, found the History tab already. One thing about Vista though - it may be pretty, but the icons don't give much clue of the functions. I think I'd rather go with practicality than prettiness.

Reading Lois Lowry's The Giver right now, and was wondering how anyone would film it if they made a movie of it. Definitely going to be controversial, with euthanasia, infanticide and the suppression of free will and choice being some of the heavy themes in the story. Really does make you wonder whether a Utopian society would be better, and if it was, at what cost we have to pay to achieve it. The members of the community are watched and controlled at all times, with no privacy at all, and the idea of family itself is more towards a functional, necessary one instead of one based on choice. And there was this one part, where the main character Jonas asks his parents whether they love him, and both his parents chastised him for using a "very generalised word, with no meaning, and almost obsolete". Poor boy came to the realisation then that despite all he could do from his learning with the Giver, his family and friends would never understand emotions and concepts that he did. "They know nothing," said the Giver, and he summed it up there - the members of the community are only given knowledge that the Elders think they should know, to fulfil their function in society, but beyond that, they should be kept ignorant. No books, no music, no colour, no choice, no individuality. And yet the citizens don't know death, or pain, or suffering, or want for anything.

Which would you choose then?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home