Friday, January 05, 2007

Vicissitudes

Vicissitudes (n): One of the sudden or unexpected changes or shifts often encountered in one's life, activities, or surroundings.

I haven't been able to blog for days, not because I was too busy with college - on the contrary, I was freer than I was in school - but I just didn't have the mood to blog. That kind of explains things, doesn't it?

I guess I didn't expect to be so confused with my new environment. I kind of forgot that you guys wouldn't be around in Inti. Maybe I just glossed over the fact during the holidays because I didn't want to think about it. The realisation hit me in full force yesterday, especially after Stephanie's party. I didn't realise how much I was - and still am - going to miss you guys!

Several people have been great help, yes, during my emo attacks. Can't have done without them, and I'm talking about since before SPM. And it was so good to meet up again with Xia Xun during break today. =)

Overall, it's been pretty fine, these first few days, though one does tend to get lonely sometimes when there's nobody to walk with to the library or the secondhand bookshop. Or basically just trying to find a quiet place to sit, because during breaks, it's hectic everywhere. Mostly seniors though, as they tend to congregate in certain spots, but then again, it's only the third day for the freshies like me.

I've been bringing Plath's journal with me for two days now. It's like some sort of comfort, with the thought in the background that there's always a book to drown in when you have no idea where to go or what to do. And moreover, it's one of my current favourite writers, Plath. I love the part in which she writes after getting through a trying period of time.

Now a love, a faith, an affirmation is conceived in me like an embryo. The gestation may be a while in producing, but the fertilization has come to pass. ~ Plath
What do you think of that?

I still haven't found another Muse fan yet, by the way. Guess that will take time. Most of the others don't seem to read much...yet again, it takes time. And when you Taylors people start your A-Levels, mind you remember lunch. And me, of course ;)

It's funny really, when you think about what's going on with a person when he/she can seem so happy and carefree. I'm still surprising some of my friends now, which is surprising too, as I've known them for so long.



I visit this dam every year in Penang. Not much to look at in this shot, but believe me, it's beautiful when you take in the whole view, with the half-hidden stream descending from the hills and the barely seen Buddhist retreat sanctuary.

Love is an illusion, but I would be willingly fall for it if I could believe in it. ~ Plath

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hullo Yeen Lynn!
Shahira told me of your...well troubles in finding the right crowd there...dont think I phrased my words to good.. but anyway,
Funny enough, in college I actually found less people who read. The kind of stuff I go for that is. Only 1 for now.

Dont get discouraged though, more than anywhere else, college life will surprise you more often than not as I'm sure you've discovered your first few days. Still, things could only get better.

You'll soon meet persons of similar interests I'm sure.

About Plath's quote,
Is it like saying that it may have taken time to develope/achieve/appreciate [the 3 mentioned] but you've [thankfully] pulled through the toughest to get there.
It'd be nice to know how you see it, as you can clearly see I'm very bad at interpreting anything riddle-like.

The dam looks like a really peaceful place actually. Never seen Penang that pretty. Except on the Penang Bridge...

For now, I wish you all the best in settling into college.

10:50 pm, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hi Ameera =)

Yeah...kind of experienced a shock in my new surroundings, with people who don't seem to share my interests...but it's only been three days, so I guess I should wait longer :P

Thanks. For the comment and everything :)

11:27 pm, January 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I'm starting to miss studying.. I yearn for some work. I'm staring to fear my brain's going to sloooooow down after 5 months of lazing around..
Oh god, I need a job..

I wouldn't know for sure about college life, but I believe Kak Meera's right. Things will definitely get better. I fear too, the prospect of making new friends and fitting in. Heh, I guess we all do, huh?

My late years of primary school till the early years of secondary school involved a lot of 'drowing in a book'. I loved the way everything and everyone seemed to disappear, while you, would be lost in a world of your own, in the pages of a good book.

It is astoundingly comforting =)

Heh, with all the years of going to Penang for Raya, I don't think I've ever seen that dam XP

Beautiful, indeed

11:41 pm, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Kirstin Wong said...

is the dam somewhere near Balik Pulau by any chance?

There's only one dam in Penang right? Hahaha ><

8:14 pm, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Yep, Kirstin, the dam is near Balik Pulau...but I have no idea how many dams there are in Penang :)

9:24 pm, January 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home