Monday, December 04, 2006

Irreplaceable

Beyonce: To the left , to the left blah blah blah blah blah etc etc etc

Well really, I don't quite care how that went. (No offence to Beyonce's fans though.)

Let's see, I read a little piece of news this morning in the Star - very good paper, by the way, though it's a local publication - and it got me screaming and laughing so hard I thought one of my ribs would crack.

Still don't understand what I mean? Then click here.

For those who can't be bothered to click on links in my blog - as I'm sure about 99% of you are - then read this.

Read this with your eyes open wide.

Read it with all your heart.

Read it as though there's no tomorrow.

It’s obvious Muse fans here will be out in the busloads to the band’s Singapore date next month. But the tricky part is the unconfirmed late February date for Muse in Kuala Lumpur – a month after its Singapore concert. At the moment, there has been no official announcement of Muse’s show here.

Now what did I tell you?

Don't you just love the Star to bits, Chin Lei?

I checked the Muse site, but tentative tour dates are not posted. Muse will be touring Adelaide and Perth on the 2nd and 4th of February 2007 respectively, then continue the tour in Japan in March.

Now. There's hope. There has always been hope. There has always always always been a light at the end of the tunnel of our little dying entertainment/ concert industry here in Malaysia. Tourism Malaysia has just launched the KL International Buskers' Festival beginning December. Now let's just hope they'll make things easier for Muse to come here. (Remember the whole hullabaloo over Black Metal? No connection, maybe, but somebody please give me a reason why big rock bands always head to Bangkok and Singapore when the Peninsula Malaysia stands right between those two places. And it's not like they don't realise that Kuala Lumpur exists, innit? And it's not like we Malaysians don't like rock, right? Right? Right?)

The Buskers' Festival takes place in 1 Utama too, by the way. Just saw a group of clowns and people in masquerade costumes when I was there yesterday. And some foreign guy who looked like a rock musician with a weird instrument and dreadlocks.

Anyway, back to the main issue here.

MUSE MIGHT BE COMING TO MALAYSIA!!

Now is that absolutely wonderful or what?

It's more than wonderful, more than orgasmic - it's sky-high heavenly pure delight with a whole busload of pixie dust and a dream-come-true for me.

Keep your fingers crossed, whoever you might be!

And now on to books.

MPH in 1U is starting to get really disappointing to me. They didn't have Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (Parade's MPH was out of the WHOLE series.) I couldn't find a single Diana Wynne Jones book. (But they had the entire series of Gossip Girl which my younger sister drooled over. Marketability vs quality.) They only had the HarperTorch publications of Gaiman's books with very ugly covers - not the same as those published by Headline Book Publishing which have really very nice covers. (My Stardust book!) An entire bookshelf was devoted to Dan Brown, about 3/4 of which was taken up by The Da Vinci Code. (I personally didn't like the book. Not my preferred genre lah...) They had a limited poetry section. The Young Adults section is shrinking and is slowly being taken over by books aimed at tweens and hormonal teenage girls. (Book titles such as Sticky Fingers, How I Lost My Boy Entrancers and 16, Pants on Fire were all over the shelves. They did have Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses series - really good, give it a try - but books like Jean Ure and Jacqueline Wilson seemed to have faded into the background.)

Maybe I'm being a book snob. Can't help it. But it's sad when you enter such a huge bookstore and find that that one book you really want was out of stock - for the tenth time. (I'm exaggerating, but you should see how obsessively I looked for Niffenegger's book until I got it.) They had a fluorishing romance section though, and yes, I have been tempted to pick up a book from there, but some cynical part of my 16-year-old self refuses to believe in fairy tale endings. No wonder I'm so warped.

Never mind - Borders, here I come!

An education fair was held in the Putra World Trade Centre on the 2nd and 3rd of December. I went yesterday. They had booths from both private and public colleges and universities, and for some strange reason - booths promoting education in Singapore, Holland and Japan. The other big "uni" countries (destinations of elder siblings) like UK, America and Australia did not have any booths there...well they have their own education fairs kan.

Pretty helpful. Taylors is starting the American Degree Program for Actuarial Science this year, but of course Next Door's is more established...and oh yeah, Taylors is starting a new course in Communications. (I'm only saying this because I got a Cathay cinema voucher from their promo booth. If you're going for a movie there - tell me!)

Well, that's my hectic weekend. Got over my post-SPM depression dah. Glad of that.

I bought this short story in booklet form in 1U yesterday. It was part of a series, each costs 1 pound, but here it's RM 6.90. (It isn't a daylight robbery when the story is really good.) I bought Jackie Kay's Sonata, and it was one of the best stories I've read this year. Different style of writing - boleh call it contemporary tak? - which I tried to emulate in my story here, but I've a feeling it didn't turn out quite right.

For those who think they might have homophobia, skip the next paragraph.

The story tells of two women in a train travelling to an unknown destination - only the name Zagreb is mentioned once in passing. One of them is beautiful; the other - from whose point of view the reader is drawn into the story - is described as 'clumsy and big-boned'. The beautiful woman begins telling the other about the story of how her relationship with her lover named Anna collapsed as she gradually succumbs to jealousy and suspicion. The sonata in question is the piece Anna played the night the relationship between the beautiful woman and her began to crumble. The beautiful woman (no names were mentioned, you see) was jealous of Anna's music partner, Isadora, and begins to doubt Anna and herself almost obsessively. Well then, one thing led to another and the beautiful woman blew up one night. Anna left, and before the beautiful woman could see her again, her lover dies and she begins her life of misery and regret.

Throughout the story, the other woman slowly falls in love with the beautiful woman, but when they reach their destination, they part without exchanging numbers or even knowing anything much about each other. Yet the other woman still looks for the beautiful one, hoping to meet her again...

I just told you the whole story. It was really good though.

Now to finish off with the list of the best books I've read this year:

a) The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
b) Stardust by Neil Gaiman
c) The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
d) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
e) The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
f) A Woman of No Importance by Wilde (it's a play really)
g) etc. Can't think.

Class party tomorrow! Woohoo!!

See you then!

P.S. - Really hope you can make it, Jess. =)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirstin Wong said...

go to borders! or kinokuniya!

the sight of books on rows and rows of shelves are just...

sigh.

1:59 pm, December 04, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hi kirstin! :)

Yep, my heaven. *swoonsinsheerdelightattheawesomesight* :P

can't wait too.

Yaay!! Another book lover! =D

5:03 pm, December 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!

please inform me as soon as you find out about muse coming to malaysia ok? infact, my sister and i are actually talking about going down to singapore to catch them. but i think all cakap only la.

how could we ever miss a muse concert after a concert so spellbinding on mtv? i will never forget the flashing of the green lights, the briilaintly pshychotic antics of matt, the totally-out-of-this-world guitar riffs and the pumping of adrenaline in my veins? and that's all through an idiot box. imagine the real thing.

hope they come!!!!!!!!!

7:33 pm, December 04, 2006  
Blogger Lynn said...

Surekhaaaaaaaaaaaa!

You MUST tell me if you do go to Singapore for the Muse concert!

Yes. YesyesyesyesYESYESYES.

Fingers crossed, everyone! (whether you like Muse or not!) =D

11:30 am, December 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home