Clap your hands and believe -
A fairy somewhere lives!
Flash fiction by a seriously bored teen. If these ficlets seem to look similar, it's because I've got Faerie and all things Faerie on my mind. Reason: I read up about fairies on Wednesday, which led me to read the first two chapters of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell yesterday, and made me complain bitterly when I read a review on her new book The Ladies of Grace Adieu last night.
I still have a healthy fascination on things related to Faerie. It's not all about wee pretty fairies and elves...there's always that darker part of Fairyland nobody really talks about. Heard about the fairy myth where the fairies have to pay a tithe to Hell every seven years? And they usually send humans as payment, and those poor mortals never return home again.
Anyway, those little pieces I scribbled last night. The main reason I'm posting them here is TO GET THEM OUT OF MY SYSTEM before I settle down to proper full concentration study, especially History. It's strange, but it works somehow. I get embarrassed about the stuff I post here a week later, then try to forget about them. (It works!!)
And so.
'A thin poem - '
'No! Starlight! What could be better than this?'
'No really, I spent three years working on this.'
'Three years on three verses? Not a major achievement, my girl!'
'But still a great achievement.'
'What makes you think so?' An eyebrow raised sardonically, but not expressively.
'In my heart - '
'Heart! 'In my heart!' Such naivety! Your innocence begs to be trampled on, my dearest girl! Now get out! And don't show your face till you have a story in your wee hands - romance, slush, pulp, noir - anything!'
Slam goes the door.
Thud goes my heart.
Shriek go I at the fullest extent of my lungs.
Stupid little poem. Stupid meaningless poetry. (Stupid editor!)
I tear up the poem. Starlight, my foot.
The pieces tossed into the trash. Down they go.
Then off I storm to write that romance/ slush/ of questionable content story I was meant to do.
'And you shall have a gown of moonlight! The gems of starshine! The veils of dreams! A cloak of dusk light! The ribbons of dawn break!'
'And an MP3 to complement the outfit!'
'Oh shut it, dear. I was thinking about an emerald and sapphire necklace - what do you think?'
'I - want - an - MP3!'
'Slippers made of dwarvish velvet! Laces spun from the mists of planets! The pearls of the Unending Sea! Crystals from the Desert of Heartbreak!'
'And an MP3!'
'A sash of elfin gossamer! A ring of dewdrops and silver laughter! The wristlet of an Elf princess!'
'And an MP3!'
'Flowers from Queen Estaril's personal garden!'
'And an MP3!'
'A handsome Elf lord to attend to you the whole evening!'
'And an MP3!'
'An elfin maid to serve your every need!'
'And an MP3!'
'The charm of wit and beauty shall be bestowed upon you!'
'I WANT AN MP3!'
'Storytellers and minstrels to enthral you through the night!'
'AN MP3!'
'And everything else that your heart desires!'
'AN MP3!'
'What the heck is an MP3?'
'No idea. BUT I WANT IT ANYWAY!'
***
dreamingly
do magicians dream of normalcy?
do heroes dream of namelessness?
do elves dream of world economy?
why do we then dream in restlessness?
Flash fiction by a seriously bored teen. If these ficlets seem to look similar, it's because I've got Faerie and all things Faerie on my mind. Reason: I read up about fairies on Wednesday, which led me to read the first two chapters of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell yesterday, and made me complain bitterly when I read a review on her new book The Ladies of Grace Adieu last night.
I still have a healthy fascination on things related to Faerie. It's not all about wee pretty fairies and elves...there's always that darker part of Fairyland nobody really talks about. Heard about the fairy myth where the fairies have to pay a tithe to Hell every seven years? And they usually send humans as payment, and those poor mortals never return home again.
Anyway, those little pieces I scribbled last night. The main reason I'm posting them here is TO GET THEM OUT OF MY SYSTEM before I settle down to proper full concentration study, especially History. It's strange, but it works somehow. I get embarrassed about the stuff I post here a week later, then try to forget about them. (It works!!)
And so.
***
Starlight
'A thin poem - '
'No! Starlight! What could be better than this?'
'No really, I spent three years working on this.'
'Three years on three verses? Not a major achievement, my girl!'
'But still a great achievement.'
'What makes you think so?' An eyebrow raised sardonically, but not expressively.
'In my heart - '
'Heart! 'In my heart!' Such naivety! Your innocence begs to be trampled on, my dearest girl! Now get out! And don't show your face till you have a story in your wee hands - romance, slush, pulp, noir - anything!'
Slam goes the door.
Thud goes my heart.
Shriek go I at the fullest extent of my lungs.
Stupid little poem. Stupid meaningless poetry. (Stupid editor!)
I tear up the poem. Starlight, my foot.
The pieces tossed into the trash. Down they go.
Then off I storm to write that romance/ slush/ of questionable content story I was meant to do.
***
Do Fairies Dream of MP3s?
'And you shall have a gown of moonlight! The gems of starshine! The veils of dreams! A cloak of dusk light! The ribbons of dawn break!'
'And an MP3 to complement the outfit!'
'Oh shut it, dear. I was thinking about an emerald and sapphire necklace - what do you think?'
'I - want - an - MP3!'
'Slippers made of dwarvish velvet! Laces spun from the mists of planets! The pearls of the Unending Sea! Crystals from the Desert of Heartbreak!'
'And an MP3!'
'A sash of elfin gossamer! A ring of dewdrops and silver laughter! The wristlet of an Elf princess!'
'And an MP3!'
'Flowers from Queen Estaril's personal garden!'
'And an MP3!'
'A handsome Elf lord to attend to you the whole evening!'
'And an MP3!'
'An elfin maid to serve your every need!'
'And an MP3!'
'The charm of wit and beauty shall be bestowed upon you!'
'I WANT AN MP3!'
'Storytellers and minstrels to enthral you through the night!'
'AN MP3!'
'And everything else that your heart desires!'
'AN MP3!'
'What the heck is an MP3?'
'No idea. BUT I WANT IT ANYWAY!'
***
dreamingly
do magicians dream of normalcy?
do heroes dream of namelessness?
do elves dream of world economy?
why do we then dream in restlessness?
If I could take you away
Pretend I was queen
What would you say?
Would you think I'm unreal
Cause everybody's got the way I should feel
~ Be Be Your Love, Rachael Yamagata

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home