Thursday, December 18, 2008

In which I get creeped out by the Internet

Oh yes, it had to happen.

Fandom is scary. It is. Was reading Fandom Wank, and there are things in there that made me go completely wide-eyed like a 12-year-old newbie on the web.

Fandom is scary. I like reading fanfiction. I am scared. QED.

Which brings to the question of blogging.

On the one hand, I have read blogs where people are honest. As in...completely honest. To the extent of speaking - in explicit detail - their problems. And the best part is that they're strangers; I'm reading all these personal problems of theirs, and I don't even even know who they are. I feel somewhat like an intruder whenever that happens - makes me uneasy, really.

On the other hand, you have people who blog for fun. Me likes that. I don't feel as though I'm reading things I shouldn't. Everyday stuff, and it's all right.

I haven't even got round to posting my pictures here on my blog, mostly because of the first reason. My name's here, you can track me on the web using Google and even Technorati - and you know what?

It scares me sometimes.

And with networking sites like Facebook and Myspace, tracking people over the web becomes easier.

Don't get me started on the IP addresses, even.

So...even with anonymity, it's not really anonymity. You still show up on the stats and records.

I'm getting paranoid.

And I really shouldn't have bought Pratchett's Men at Arms. Yes.

Oh hey, delusional too.

Tin-foil hats, anyone?

PS - They've got these laws in fandom too. 0.o Okay. I think I'll just back out of fandom slooowwwly and head back to my paperback books...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home