Friday, July 11, 2008

So the drama

Sometimes I maunder so much, I lose track of what I maundered about, and then find it somewhere somehow.

Sometimes I don't even know if I'm thinking my own thoughts or I remember odd bits from other people.

I scare me sometimes.

From Plath's journal:

Again the refrain, what have you for your eighteen years? And you know that whatever tangible things you do have, they cannot be held, but, too, will decompose and slip away through your coarse-skinned and death-rigid fingers. So you will rot in the ground, and so you say, what the hell? who cares? But you care, and somehow you don't want to live just one life, which could be typed, which could be tossed off in a thumbnail sketch: "She was the sort of girl..." And end in 25 words or less. You want to live as many lives as you can...you're a capitalist from way back...and because you're eighteen, because you're still vulnerable, because you still don't have faith in yourself, you talk a little fliply, a little too wisely, just to cover up so you won't be accused of sentimentality or emotionalism or feminine tactics.

I'm inclined to think that that influenced my emo rant of a month ago.

I think MSN is apologizing. First it doesn't deliver or receive messages, now it sends e-mails on my behalf and I don't even know how they got sent, because I definitely didn't.

New Artemis Fowl book will be out on the 15th of July. *squeee* I think I want the US cover this time, since the UK one will be arriving later (7th August), and it's in a weird shade of yellow. Read the first chapter here.

Favourite Artemis book so far - The Arctic Incident, which people don't seem to mention somehow...hmph.

Say No to age-banding. Have a feeling that if the publishers do get their own way, I'd be wrapping half my books in brown paper. Or only read them in the solitude and safety of my room. Writers like Gaiman and Phillip Pullman are definitely against it too.

One of the reasons them publishers are doing it is to help adults - i.e. parents - to know which books are suitable for kids. No way man. I did my reading without parental guidance - okay, maybe I was nudged Enid Blyton and that started me off - but other than that, my parents have been pretty lax on what I do read. One reason they didn't see the point on interfering: They trusted me to know which books will be okay for me to read. Another thing: They've never read the books I did, so how could they judge whether the books were suitable for my age or not? Slapping this age band tag will help parents, but it's going to make me - and maybe other non-kiddies who have not outgrown kids' books - feel like we're reading books that are too simple for us.

Maybe it's just me. I still think the adult/children covers for HPotter was a bit silly - who gives a damn whether you're reading a kid's book anyway? But Rowling isn't going to complain about that, thankyouverymuchlyindeed. And I'd very proudly read Diana Wynne Jones' books - with their obviously colorful, sparkly and pretty kiddy covers - anywhere. But slapping an age-band tag on it? You'd be judging me from the books I read, more so.

Reading Pratchett again. The first Watch novel, Guards! Guards! The Librarian is made of absolute win.

He [the Librarian] turned a corner and there it was.

The section.

The bookcase.

The shelf.

The gap.

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book should be.

Someone had stolen a book
.

Voldemort would so definitely come back with his long fingers and point his wand at you. I KEEL YOU! It would work...if it wasn't for the fact that he was so weirdly gay in GoF. "I can touch you now, Harry!"?

And them slashers went stir-crazy. I can imagine.

Apparently there's something called the LOLCat Bible Translation Project.

NO WAI!

Welcome to the Internet, noob. *pats own head* DUN CRAI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home