Light light
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Have finished The Essay. (Aren't you glad, Chin? I am! :) Now to edit, hee.
Right.
Amazing innit, that I've finished Jennifer Donnelly's A Gathering Light over the weekend...while I persevere at not doing my homework. Ach weel.
Review!
Synopsis: Takes place during the turn of the century in a backwater village/town in New York, the US of A. Tells the story of a teenage girl, Mattie Gokey, who is in conflict with herself, her family and her society. She's smart, and her teacher, Miss Wilcox, encourages her to complete her high school education and go on to college. Trouble is, Mattie's mother just recently died, and she's in charge of taking care of her family. Her dad's a farmer - not doing too well too - and in her smalltown society, kids don't often graduate and continue their studies pun. So does Mattie stay home to take care of her family or leave for college in New York City? Oh, and there's a murder mystery too based on the Chester Gillette case.
Things I Liked
1. Writing was smooth - just flow flow flow. Couldn't put down the book.
2. Pacing was nice - I didn't get bored at all.
3. Donnelly writes from the POV of Mattie, does it nice and easy.
4. Made me feel like an ungrateful brat at times, to think how easy I have it now. Mattie's a tough nut.
5. Realistic. Mattie's all for realism. Even though people tell her that she lives in a dream world of books several times.
6. She isn't pretty or amazing - just ordinary, with a talent for writing. When one guy, Royal Loomis, starts going out with her, she kept questioning his real reason. Level-headed girl. I wanted to kick that boy.
7. The story sounds simple; the writing's simple - no purple prosing, or some psychobabble quacking, or even questions about Life, the Universe and Everything Else. Donnelly sets out to tell a story and does it.
I actually put Smith's I Capture the Castle on hold for this. *gasp!* But see...I know how Castle will end dah. Though Cassandra Mortmain is funnier than Mattie Gokey.
Anne Enright on writing. (Got the link from Sharon Bakar's blog :P) Enright says: "The thing you have written is a piece of shit. Can I say this louder? And then repeat it really, really quietly? The thing you have just written is a piece of shit."
I think she's got a point eh.
Right.
Amazing innit, that I've finished Jennifer Donnelly's A Gathering Light over the weekend...while I persevere at not doing my homework. Ach weel.
Review!
Synopsis: Takes place during the turn of the century in a backwater village/town in New York, the US of A. Tells the story of a teenage girl, Mattie Gokey, who is in conflict with herself, her family and her society. She's smart, and her teacher, Miss Wilcox, encourages her to complete her high school education and go on to college. Trouble is, Mattie's mother just recently died, and she's in charge of taking care of her family. Her dad's a farmer - not doing too well too - and in her smalltown society, kids don't often graduate and continue their studies pun. So does Mattie stay home to take care of her family or leave for college in New York City? Oh, and there's a murder mystery too based on the Chester Gillette case.
Things I Liked
1. Writing was smooth - just flow flow flow. Couldn't put down the book.
2. Pacing was nice - I didn't get bored at all.
3. Donnelly writes from the POV of Mattie, does it nice and easy.
4. Made me feel like an ungrateful brat at times, to think how easy I have it now. Mattie's a tough nut.
5. Realistic. Mattie's all for realism. Even though people tell her that she lives in a dream world of books several times.
6. She isn't pretty or amazing - just ordinary, with a talent for writing. When one guy, Royal Loomis, starts going out with her, she kept questioning his real reason. Level-headed girl. I wanted to kick that boy.
7. The story sounds simple; the writing's simple - no purple prosing, or some psychobabble quacking, or even questions about Life, the Universe and Everything Else. Donnelly sets out to tell a story and does it.
I actually put Smith's I Capture the Castle on hold for this. *gasp!* But see...I know how Castle will end dah. Though Cassandra Mortmain is funnier than Mattie Gokey.
Anne Enright on writing. (Got the link from Sharon Bakar's blog :P) Enright says: "The thing you have written is a piece of shit. Can I say this louder? And then repeat it really, really quietly? The thing you have just written is a piece of shit."
I think she's got a point eh.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home