Friday, June 27, 2008

Still swinging strawberries

I seem to have gone off blogging, though my Internet hours are anything but reduced.

Not sure why though. Probably because of the lack of ideas, or thoughts, or because I really don't have anything worth blogging about.

Then again, what is worth blogging about...

Let's see...

Am going to watch Wanted with Chin Lei tomorrow :)

Found the Emily Mortimer- Rufus Sewell part of Paris Je T'aime. Oscar Wilde. His quotes. Love it. Many thanks to Miss Yeo!



Poor guy, Wilde. If he had lived now, he wouldn't have got so much negative publicity for being gay. However, some people have said he wrote his best poetry while in prison - The Ballad of Reading Gaol - which, I am ashamed to say, I never really bothered to read properly and appreciate. Prefer his stories and prose really. Oh and his plays. Which reminds me, I haven't finished that huge compilation of his works you guys gave me years ago *hides face in shame*

Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle is turning out to be one really good book. Would appeal to girls more than guys, methinks - but if you're a teenage girl, and love kooky characters and settings, then go read this book. Cassandra Mortmain - the girl writing the journal, the main voice - has this dry humour, had me laughing. And she isn't all gushy or sentimental - she consciously doesn't want to be. Relatable character, and she isn't as gloomy and pessimistic as Esther Greenwood.

The only thing I find I cannot write is about myself. Fact. I hate writing about myself. I don't mind writing about what I did or what happened to me, but not what I am. It'll be liking asking me what sound blue makes. (A sort of calm, breezy, wavy sound, I should think. Peaceful. But then what would green be like? Probably something like the Hobbit theme from the LOTR.)

I attempted fanfiction. Now I'm going to make a run for it and not do it for another year or so. See how fickle I am?

I seem to have gone off David Archuleta. Release your single NOW, boy!

Publishers Weekly interview with Diana Wynne Jones here. A lot on Howl ;) And this was part of Jones' response when the interviewer asked about the increased attention to her books after the Howl's Moving Castle movie was made:

Now the Howl books are being sought for all over the world, so that’s nice. And the procession of people, which was enormous already, has increased—doubled and tripled—of all the people who want to marry Howl. Now it seems to me that Howl would be one of the most dreadful husbands one could possibly imagine. But there are these thousands of girls who write and say “Is Howl real? I want to marry him.” All around the world. About the only place where they don’t seem to be wanting to marry him is India, I think. But everywhere else—Thailand, Taiwan, New Zealand, Spain, massive amounts from England and huge amounts from America too. It’s extraordinary.

Extraordinary it is. She doesn't know how rabid her Malaysian fans can be too!

One bit of Fire and Hemlock that jumped out at me this morning -

"People are strange," he [Thomas Lynn] said. "Usually they're much stranger than you think. Start from there and you'll never be unpleasantly surprised. Do you fancy doughnuts?"

Ah well.

Truth is stranger than fiction - or something like that, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home