Sunday, May 18, 2008

Of mice, men and boys who will be men

Went to watch Narnia: The Sequel today. Also known as Prince Caspian.

Not sure how it happened, but it went like this: Sister was bored today. (She's like the Energizer Bunny on Saturday - tuition classes, and then shopping at night.) She just came back from a run from my house down to SMK USJ 12 and back again in less than half an hour. Told me "Let's go shopping!" I OK-ed that, since I was bored myself. (American Idol season marathon on Star World today, but my father got back control of the TV.) I sez to her, "Let's go watch Narnia!" Agreed. Asked parents. Parents - surprisingly - said okay, although I've never been out to the movies alone with my sister. I feel old.

So we went. And so we watched. And so it was.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Things I Liked

1. Skandar Keynes

He's only a year younger, so it's not that cougar-rific if I said he's growing up into quite an attractive young man. Definitely has changed since Narnia 1. YAY! Clearer head, more mature, and I love how the movie contrasted his growing maturity with Peter's pig-headedness.

And those eyes. Yes.

Near the beginning of the movie, sister turns to me and whispers, "That guy so cute!"

Said I, "Which one?", although I make it a rule not to talk during movies. (I absolutely hate it when people do it - intentionally and inconsiderately.)

"That one."

"Edmund?"

"Yeah!"

And thus Skandar Keynes became the second guy we have ever agreed upon to be attractive.

[The first was Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, in case you were wondering ;)]

2. Battle scenes

Bigger, better, and more ambitious. Yes! Loved them.

Though...they looked too much like LOTR sometimes.

Eagles? Oh we have gryphons.

Catapults? Yep.

Walking trees? Not particularly Ent-ish, but they have the same idea.

And those Telmarine masks and armies - THIS IS MORDOR!!!

And the men looked like the Haradrim. Was wondering when oliphaunts would appear - but whaddaya know, we get the River God instead.

Loved the river scene - spectacular! - but I was very strongly reminded of Ulmo, Lord of the Waters, in The Silmarillion. And thus spake Ulmo to Turgon....oh meh.

3. Trumpkin

Loved loved LOVED him. Funny without being corny, or too stereotyped. Shame he won't be in the next movie.

4. Reepicheep

YES! They got it right with this guy! Loved him in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - read it before Caspian - and he was just as valiant and debonair and - and - and - cute as I wanted him.

Looking forward to him in the next movie =D

5. Lucy

Georgie Henley's grown a bit eh, but she still acts the part of Lucy so naturally. Yay!

6. More humour

Fun fun fun. To lighten up the darker mood.

Of course, the movie wasn't perfect.

Things I had issues with

1. Peter

Immature, immature, immature. Can't blame him, but sometimes you just have to listen, jeez.

Yes yes, the movie's all about growing up...but why?!

2. Caspian

Ben Barnes is cute in real life. It's not his fault that they decided that he should have

a. hair like a shampoo commercial
b. a bland character
c. an unnecessary romance with Susan
d. a weird accent - sure it was more authentic, him being Telmarine, but it got on my nerves

Okay...I was somewhat disappointed with Caspian. Still...he wasn't that confident in the book, so I guess I'll have to wait till the next movie to see the more confident guy he is.

I have an issue with that hair.

3. The White Witch

Oh woman, your time's over. Just die and stay dead.

4. Susan

I don't know why I should, really. I liked it that the movie gave her a bigger role, since the books always portrayed her as this prim, empty-headed beauty too eager to grow up, whereas the movie had her fighting and helping her brothers to lead the Narnians confidently.

Probably it's because they kind of "sexed-up" her character. The dresses (cleavage alert!). The romance with Caspian. The more pronounced cynicism. She already got so much flak in the books, and now the movie's kind of going the other way to what I thought C. S. Lewis intended...

It's still a Disney movie after all, so it wasn't that dark and bloody. I wonder though, about the birth scene at the beginning...I mean, it's not like parents would tell their kids that babies actually come from real people and not storks (gasp!) when their kid asks, "Mommy/Daddy, why is the woman crying? Where did the baby come from? Where's the big bird?"

And in one scene, a head did roll. Sister noted that. She hated that part about LOTR - warfare, limbs and heads being hacked off freely, blood, etc etc. Very kid-friendly movie, this.

Christian allegories be damned...I was too interested in the movie to bother much.

This movie is all about growing up...oh man, now you're making me cry. But I liked it, really did. Better than I did the first movie.

And because my sister has become an official Ben Barnes fangirl, and because we both are quibbling over the use of this picture, here's Ben Barnes WITHOUT the hair I didn't like.



And because it's my blog - Skandar Keynes! 8080808080



PS - Off to Malacca tomorrow, back on Monday. Wesak Day, so if you're getting married tomorrow or Monday, save the cake, darling.

Unless, of course, you're marrying David Archuleta. Then I'll be back. Immediately.

PPS - I can't believe it's Regina Spektor singing in the end credits of Narnia.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yuvha Dharshini said...

ZOMGAWD i love reepicheep! he is so cute that i want to have him as my pet. sighs

and grace is back!

bila bila??

6:15 pm, May 28, 2008  
Blogger Lynn said...

Yuv! I only noticed your comment today =.=" Dang it.

Yep, Reepicheep! More of him in the next movie! =D

Ah man...weekend! Haven't heard from you guys...

2:15 am, May 31, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh it's ages since i've been on your blog...and it never fails to entertain/interest me! ooh, this is random but yeah i did check out skandar keynes b4 (i KNOW he's younger! unfortunately) and haha, he's like the great-great grandson of darwin or something. ok i know that's really random lol

steph

2:43 am, May 31, 2008  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hi Stephanie! :)

Skandar Keynes was already hot in the first Narnia movie :P even though he was so young then, and still remains younger than us, dang it!

Lol, read this interview with him the other day, and he mentioned that his family's pretty intellectual. Think he's also a descendant of John Milton Keynes...

You haven't updated your blog for so long...!

3:31 am, May 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home