Monday, September 17, 2007

The review that was

*Holddit - got meself a Friendster account. Finally. After swearing that I wouldn't get into the whole junk tripe thingy. Anyways, it's here. So go add me if you want to. I'm doing it as a joke...and to see how many strangers would actually add me :) Experimenting.

Right. Review. Just finished Garth Nix's Abhorsen this afternoon. Which means I'm done with the whole trilogy! So here goes!

Things I Liked About the Trilogy

1. The ideas!! The Dead, the Nine Gates of Death, the Abhorsen, the Old Kingdom -

2. Characters. Girl power. First book had Sabriel as the heroine, second and third had Lirael. The guys are pretty good, but they always need rescuing :)

3. MOGGET. Best snarky little white kitteh EVAH.

4. History and background info. Amazing detail. The geography plays a big role in the plot. Not like some schoolkids who remember and get to know things out of the blue saja.

5. The contrast between the Old Kingdom (magic) and Ancelstierre (science and technology). The Wall separates both sides, but there's always the areas where they overlap.

6. Awesome villains. Hedge scared the hell out of me, and the Dead things Sabriel and Lirael encountered were creepy enough to scare me at night.

7. The Clayr. Just thought it was really cool, reading about a community/society consisting only of women and girls. They're pretty, but pretty deadly too, mind you.

8. Characters you can relate to and sympathize with. (Or is it empathize?) Sabriel and Lirael both didn't want the title and responsibilities of the Abhorsen, and after going through personal conflict yadda yadda, they finally realise that they can't say no. Not now.

9. The Charter! Haven't read of any books which dealt with magic like Nix did. Much, much better than wand-waving and saying those Latin words.

10. Political and social issues. Not bad not bad. I like.

Things I Didn't Like

1. Poor guys. Always in trouble or near death. Touchstone, Sam, Nicholas - all had to be rescued by women. Annoyed me somewhat. Oi jaga your own back lah.

2. Writing got kinda clunky towards the end. Maybe it's just me.

3. Lirael's melancholy attitude towards everything. Even thought about killing herself at 14. Haiyo. Still, the girl's got guts. She was willing to sacrifice herself in the end pun.

4. Romance. First Sabriel and Touchstone. Thought that was okay...but got kind of tiring after a bit. Luckily Sam knew that Lirael was his auntie. Nicholas, though, seems to have developed a fancy for Lirael, though she keeps telling everyone that she's older than she looks. (Smart girl.) If this were HP, fandom would be ripping the relationships into shreds by now. You can bet that the Lirael/Nick fandom would be pretty big. But I daren't go read any.

5. Stupid Dead people. Why don't you just die?! (Oh wait...that's the point.)

6. Orannis wasn't that scary in Abhorsen. Got bored with him. "I am the Destroyer, therefore I destroy, because I want to, because I can, I'm going to destroy the world, I'm going to destroy..." Shaddup you.

Very happy that I found this trilogy. Good good. No need to whine anymore.

[I just gave away major spoilers. 'Choo read the review for? :P]

Eoin Colfer mentioned that he's working on the plot of the 6th Arty Fowl book, but it might be the last. MIGHT be, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Still, I was pretty bummed with the most recent one. Artemis was too goody-goody; not bad boy enough dah. Sheesh. And that Paradizo girl.

Nose rubbed red raw. Couldn't stop leaking during test - erm, see, it doesn't like me.

Adios.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirstin Wong said...

hey there!

if you enjoyed Sabriel and its trilogy, you'll probably enjoy Priestess of the White. :)

I haven't finished it yet though. tehehe.

10:14 pm, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hey Kirstin!

Oh haven't heard of that! Thanks for telling! Will go check it out :)

3:57 pm, September 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home