Friday, July 20, 2007

The hours, the hours, the hours

About...12 more hours to go. Waiting...waiting...waiting...

Watched The Hours today. Kidman was AWESOME. Loved her. The story was pretty slow-moving too, and about three lesbian kisses...though they cancelled out the character of Claire Danes's lesbian lover. Still loved it. Didn't expect it to be this...the book took some time getting through. I still can't read Mrs. Dalloway. It's like some psychedelic trip. And little boy-Richie was cute, though the adult Richie was...sad. And conflicted. I don't know. He wins a prestigious poetry prize but loses his sanity due to cancer. The irony...

What really got to me was Leonard Woolf's relationship with his wife Virginia. He tried to understand, she tried to co-operate, but in the end she...killed herself. And that last letter too *sniff* I can't go on spoiling your life any longer. I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been.

I'm trying to prepare myself for The End.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is beginning to get quite disturbing. Since it's told from the POV of a boy of nine, Bruno, there are many things only mentioned in passing, and half-comprehended. Bruno has no idea what is going on on the other side of the fence. He doesn't understand a lot, not because of meanness or spite; it's just innocence and ignorance.

Is it impossible for you to let something go and have it go whole?
Must you stamp each piece purple,

Must you kill what you can?
There is one thing I want today, and only you can give it to me.

~
from A Birthday Present, Sylvia Plath

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home