Saturday, May 19, 2007

Such great heights

It's my 200th post by the way. If...anyone is still reading this.

Anyway! Found this new band on someone else's blog, The Postal Service. If you've heard this band and their songs before, then stop smirking and take your attention elsewhere - as it is, I'm getting hooked on them. Their style is reminiscent of Death Cab for Cutie - with a bit of Stars, I thought, with the electronic beats and all, but I might be wrong - and the lyrics are bee-yoo-ti-ful. Thought the lead singer's voice sounded like Death Cab's lead, Ben Gibbard, so checked on Wiki, and YES, it IS Ben Gibbard. Lyrics, voice and music; the beats are all the producer's, I think.

Youtube had a few videos, and so does their official site. There are some songs for download - they're free, by the way :P - so go ahead. Especially Such Great Heights and The District Sleeps Alone Tonight. Vid for Great Heights here...



Looks like something from Discovery Channel. Gibbard's voice is almost...ethereal. (Well how do you put it?) Not girly, nope. Not as high as Matt's or Mika's. And definitely not gayish sounding.

Ooo look, their Such Great Heights was featured on the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack Vol. 1. Hmm...funny thing. My sister has started watching Grey's Anatomy, and I usually just hang around when she does. (See Yuvha - I watch TV!)

they will see us waving from such great heights
"come down now" they'll say
but everything looks perfect from far away
"come down now" but we'll stay


Been messing round with HTML, as you can see from links. If you do actually click on those links. And Blogger's new Autosave thingy is making me quite happy. Wordpress seems to be quite slow in posting somehow...

Right. I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's dah - it was love! Audrey Hepburn was really beautiful and believable as Holly Golightly, and the other lead - not named in the book, but Paul Varjak in the movie - was eye candy. George Peppard. Not sure if he's dead though. The best thing, of course, was the fact that Holly had an orange cat - named Cat - who looks a lot like Ginger. Poor kitty. But it all ended happily ever after, with Varjak and Holly getting together. Quite different from the book, in which Holly went to Rio and didn't meet with the narrator again. Then again. I could use some happy endings.

Sylvia - yes, I've watched it! Thank you! =D - was good, but there were some parts which the movie glossed over too quickly. It didn't talk about Sylvia's frequent visits to her psychiatrist after her marriage, or the period of time when she couldn't write and was under a lot of pressure, not from her husband, but from wanting to please her mother. Guess you can't have everything in the movie.

Finally sped read through Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. The first chapter was kinda too slow, but the second picked up and the story moved fluidly. The ending, though, wasn't quite to my liking. Gatsby didn't get what he dreamt - Daisy - even after all his efforts and some bad circumstances, eg. Daisy killed her husband's mistress in an accident while driving Gatsby's car. Gatsby - spoiler warning - was killed in the end. So ends the dream, Daisy having left elsewhere with her husband Tom and child. The blurb at the back puts it as a writer's reflection on the "empty heart of the American dream", and for some reason, methinks that Daisy is the symbol of the American dream. Gatsby is the person, any one of us, who was born into unfortunate circumstances, and yet pushed and worked his way up to be a millionaire to win Daisy's love, but in the end he failed. Daisy - for all her promises to leave Tom for Gatsby - disappears with Tom, leaving Gatsby with no news of her, and yet he still unknowingly waits and hopes for her.

Love the style, but the ending...I didn't like the ending that much. Though I don't usually complain when a story ends tragically...even like how some stories end tragically...

You seem so out of context in this gaudy apartment complex
A stranger with your door key explaining that I am just visiting
And I am finally seeing
Why I was the one worth leaving
Why I was the one worth leaving

~ The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, The Postal Service


Pavlova feet. I thought Christy Brown was a lady. It's a man though.

It'll be nice, to think that someone could read this at some funeral or something:

Come Softly to My Wake

Come softly to my wake
On Pavlova feet
at the greying end of day;
into the smoke and heat
enter quietly smiling, quietly unknown
among the garrulous guests
gathered in porter nests
to reminisce and moan;
come not with ornate grief
to desecrate my sleep
but a calm togetherness of hands
quiet as windless sands
and if you must weep
be it for the old quick lust
now lost in dust
only you could shake
from its lair.

Come softly to my wake
and drink and break
the rugged crust
of friendly bread
and weep not for me dead
but lying stupidly there
upon the womanless bed
with a sexless stare
and no thought in my head.

Little silent silhouettes in glass cages. I think you're one of them.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't your 200th post a few posts ago?

Such Great Heights is quite an old song! Didn't know about the dual lead part.

Hah, Livejournal has had an autosaving thingy since forever! Blogger is serrrlooowwww.

Aw man, why do you have to talk about endings and all? Lucky thing my reflex is super and I manage to see it coming, detect and skip the Gatsby part. Stop spoiling!

(Though you did warn beforehand, but still! by the time we did see the warning, our eyes would have accidentally wandered beyond - selective reading...you know, picking the core words and eventually figuring out the ending even without intention.)

It's like Sydney.

9:36 pm, May 19, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

I'm keeping the records, you're not.

Oi - I said kan - if you already know Postal Service, go take your attention elsewhere. I warned beforehand!

I still like Blogger. Livejournal's starting procedures require superhuman patience. And their templates are uuuuuuuuuglyyyyyyyyy.

I like ruining endings. Not my fault you haven't finished reading yours yet kan! =D

10:52 pm, May 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is also my 100th comment on your blog.

Hey, it's not LJ's fault if your comp is superslow! I don't have any prob pun.

But you didn't exactly finish it either. I wouldn't call 'sped read' and jumping to the ending a fair read. Nye nye nyeh nyeh nyeh!

12:46 am, May 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you’re a fan of Livejournal
You’re obviously anal
Lalalalalala
How sad is this la
I don’t believe that
This is your 100th comment
I didn’t know you keep count!
So many comments kan floating around!
But thank thank you you anyway
Since no one else has anything to say
Me love Postal Service
Since Ben Gibbard’s in eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttt.......

Don't you feed me lies about some idealistic future
Your heart won't heal right if you keep tearing out the sutures ~


Ben Gibbard rocks my socks!

[Why socks ah?]

11:46 am, May 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya!

Very cool! I've been craving for something new (to listen to) and you've provided! yaarrgghh

buuuuut I'll probably check it out later in June, so I suppose any form of review may come only belatedly.

Heh when reading, it's really hard to blame anyone but one's self for spoiling something, i think. I mean for me, I can control it but I tend to let my curiousity get hold of my senses. But that's just me I think...

Video's weird as usual but yep his voice, song and all are good.

8:05 pm, May 20, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hi Ameera! =D

Yep, just discovered Postal Service...though obviously some people have heard them a long time ago before... :P I think it was about 2004.

Er yeah, the spoilers thing XD can't help it!

Good luck for your exams! :)

9:04 pm, May 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home