Good gracious bodacious galumptious bootylicious
Well. The first three words are part of Florence's new catchphrase...
We saw the Lembaga Peperiksaan bus on the way back from tuition today! Very freaky. It was huge, brown and utterly terrifying.
Miss Glamour Fleur was wondering why I was laughing to myself during the EST paper today, and here it is the reason:
(Letter addressed to whoever it was who set that first question and wrote the passage.)
Dear Whoever-it-may-concern,
I found your passage on music in the EST exam on the 7th of September 2006 to be a highly debatable piece of fact writing.
Firstly, several statements were made without sufficient facts and citations to support those dubious suggestions. For example, the sentence 'Classical music is generally less harmful than rock, but it is not always healing either' contradicted itself in more than one way. Based on my personal experiences, classical music has always proven extremely stressful to me, i.e. especially when listening to Mozart's frantic and boringly technical pieces. (I don't mind other compositions by various music maestros, but I really can't stand Mozart.) To my surprise a few months ago, I discovered that rock music was more relaxing and had a bigger potential to heal than classical music. Composers during the Classical era obviously did not suffer from much heartbreak and sorrow, as the only thing they seem to compose are scales, terribly difficult arpeggios and pesky little ornaments all over the place. Rock music, on the other hand, relates to our present society better than classical. Now is the Age of Rock and Roll; the age of commercialism and MTV; the age of form and not much substance. (For goodness' sakes, whoever heard of a hotel heiress who can't sing actually releasing her own album? That's so wrong!)
Secondly, a statement made in the (offending) passage which noted that 'standard rhythms of rock music has been found to confuse the body and weaken the muscles' was proven wrong in MY case. I find that an eternally long session of classical music generally precedes a case of inertia and lethargy. Rock music, however, gives me motivation and momentum to begin my History revision and encourages me to solve more Additional Mathematics questions. The same cannot be said of classical music which only puts me to sleep and thereby causing me to waste precious time in Dreamland instead of reading up on my Physics and Chemistry.
My dear sorely mistaken and possibly deluded writer of this questionable passage, you made another unsupported statement in your last passage, e.g. 'Simply liking a piece of music may not be the best indicator of its healing potential; you might find it to be emotionally rousing but physically tension-producing'. Now, I listen to Muse nearly every day, and I find that rock music is both emotionally rousing and physically tension-releasing. Beethoven's For Elise has never made me want to get up and bash someone; Haydn's Sonata in D, Opus ∞ No. 123456789 has not produced a similar effect to Muse music. On the contrary, classical music only induces more stress and physical tension in me, particularly after a hard day's slog at those infernally difficult exam questions.
Rock music does not necessarily promote negative emotions or physical tension. I can vouch for the fact that rock music actually produces the opposite effects. Rock encourages its listeners to step out of their mundane shells and become a demented, rawkin' human being for once. Rock releases us of our daily worries and anxieties which have been kept too long within. Rock makes the world cry, teaches people to love and rejoice and generates a sizeable income in the music industry (unlike classical music).
Dear unknown writer, you may be a musical snob, but I'm not, and neither is the main percentage of the world's population. So I shall end this letter by saying thus: Go listen to rock; loosen up those neck muscles, baby.
P.S. Rock music is not physically and mentally damaging. This letter attests to this fact, no?
Grammatical mistakes here and there...but too lazy to correct. I actually wrote this in half an hour during the exam!
And if you're wondering about I have against classical music - I don't have anything against it really. Just find it a bit difficult to understand. And play.
Well, that's about it. I need to study now.
We saw the Lembaga Peperiksaan bus on the way back from tuition today! Very freaky. It was huge, brown and utterly terrifying.
Miss Glamour Fleur was wondering why I was laughing to myself during the EST paper today, and here it is the reason:
***
(Letter addressed to whoever it was who set that first question and wrote the passage.)
Dear Whoever-it-may-concern,
I found your passage on music in the EST exam on the 7th of September 2006 to be a highly debatable piece of fact writing.
Firstly, several statements were made without sufficient facts and citations to support those dubious suggestions. For example, the sentence 'Classical music is generally less harmful than rock, but it is not always healing either' contradicted itself in more than one way. Based on my personal experiences, classical music has always proven extremely stressful to me, i.e. especially when listening to Mozart's frantic and boringly technical pieces. (I don't mind other compositions by various music maestros, but I really can't stand Mozart.) To my surprise a few months ago, I discovered that rock music was more relaxing and had a bigger potential to heal than classical music. Composers during the Classical era obviously did not suffer from much heartbreak and sorrow, as the only thing they seem to compose are scales, terribly difficult arpeggios and pesky little ornaments all over the place. Rock music, on the other hand, relates to our present society better than classical. Now is the Age of Rock and Roll; the age of commercialism and MTV; the age of form and not much substance. (For goodness' sakes, whoever heard of a hotel heiress who can't sing actually releasing her own album? That's so wrong!)
Secondly, a statement made in the (offending) passage which noted that 'standard rhythms of rock music has been found to confuse the body and weaken the muscles' was proven wrong in MY case. I find that an eternally long session of classical music generally precedes a case of inertia and lethargy. Rock music, however, gives me motivation and momentum to begin my History revision and encourages me to solve more Additional Mathematics questions. The same cannot be said of classical music which only puts me to sleep and thereby causing me to waste precious time in Dreamland instead of reading up on my Physics and Chemistry.
My dear sorely mistaken and possibly deluded writer of this questionable passage, you made another unsupported statement in your last passage, e.g. 'Simply liking a piece of music may not be the best indicator of its healing potential; you might find it to be emotionally rousing but physically tension-producing'. Now, I listen to Muse nearly every day, and I find that rock music is both emotionally rousing and physically tension-releasing. Beethoven's For Elise has never made me want to get up and bash someone; Haydn's Sonata in D, Opus ∞ No. 123456789 has not produced a similar effect to Muse music. On the contrary, classical music only induces more stress and physical tension in me, particularly after a hard day's slog at those infernally difficult exam questions.
Rock music does not necessarily promote negative emotions or physical tension. I can vouch for the fact that rock music actually produces the opposite effects. Rock encourages its listeners to step out of their mundane shells and become a demented, rawkin' human being for once. Rock releases us of our daily worries and anxieties which have been kept too long within. Rock makes the world cry, teaches people to love and rejoice and generates a sizeable income in the music industry (unlike classical music).
Dear unknown writer, you may be a musical snob, but I'm not, and neither is the main percentage of the world's population. So I shall end this letter by saying thus: Go listen to rock; loosen up those neck muscles, baby.
Yours sincerely,
Muse fan
P.S. Rock music is not physically and mentally damaging. This letter attests to this fact, no?
***
Grammatical mistakes here and there...but too lazy to correct. I actually wrote this in half an hour during the exam!
And if you're wondering about I have against classical music - I don't have anything against it really. Just find it a bit difficult to understand. And play.
Well, that's about it. I need to study now.

4 Comments:
I agree with you terribly.
Mathematics and rock complements each other terribly well.
The workings of functions and inequalities are a match made in heaven when paired off with distortion pedals, Fender Strats, and hot, sedated rockstars ;)
Kakami: You listen to Nirvana? Oh wow! i still haven't got round to listening to their songs yet! But i'm glad you share my views on rock...and thanks! =)
ainaa: hmmmm...you said it, girl. matt + maths = heaven :P
LOL!!
i was thinking of what you would think during the EST exam!
i didn't agree with the passage either. c'mon la. just beacuse the writer is a drab old geek with no sense of taste, he shouldn't say rock music is damaging to our respitatory system or muscles or something.
i totally agree! rock music totally stimulates me. so funny la u.
-muse and nirvana fan too-
=D thanks suri - kah!
WOOHOO! LONG LIVE ROCK!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home