Sunday, August 13, 2006

Pineapple tarts, the Orang-utan House and that terrible woman who definitely can't sing

Well, away for the weekend. Two words: Syiok giler!

Nothing much, just a short trip to Malacca to visit my grandparents and some prayers thingy (my mum and grandmother didn't quite get round to explaining the entire mysterious ritual to me) for my sister's UPSR exams.

Fun experience really, though the journey there and back was kind of...trying...what with Paris Hilton singing almost every hour (I heard her on radio for three to four times over the weekend - and on Mix.fm no less, sheesh) and my sister decided that she wanted to listen to the Micheal Wong album...Tong hua is all right, but the rest are growing really old.

She - that lovely little sibling - went through a phase about a few months ago when she insisted on listening to Micheal Wong every time she got into the car. (I hog the Walkman all the time, tch tch.) But I guess his songs are all right compared to Daniel Lee's. *shudder*

I don't have anything against Chinese artistes really - I even kinda like Jay Chou, though I have no idea what he's singing, banana that I am - but Daniel Lee was the tip of the iceberg. That phase lasted longer than the one with Micheal, so I guess I should be thankful...

Heh. I didn't know I share this personality trait with my sis. Going completely bonkers and fixated on some singer for months. (I'm still listening to Muse though, so I'm worse...)

Anyway, I was talking about my jaunt to Malacca before I got sidetracked.

I visited Cheng Hoon Teng temple this morning - oldest temple in South-East Asia - and I'm still awed by its beauty. It wasn't in such a good condition several years ago; it was falling apart and rotting. Prayers on Chinese New Year was always torture, and my cousins and I would suffer badly through the long chanting, what with the smoke and all...we would emerge out of the temple sniffing and red-eyed with the smoke from the joss-sticks. (My grandmother used to placate us whining kids with Mentos, but the smoke was really bad.) But since the temple was restored to its original beauty a few years ago, I can now appreciate the detailed little carvings on the roofs and walls (and the ventilation has improved tremendously...no more rabbit eyes after a visit). And what with the colours and all...good thing someone had the sense to restore it.
It would be a huge shame if it had just been left to fall apart - and I would still have to suffer every CNY, heh.

Then chicken rice balls for lunch...hmm hmm...lovely. Saw some nyonya kebayas...and they're really pretty, with intricate designs on the sleeves and collar. (Why wasn't I born earlier?) And the cramped little streets with long narrow baba houses on both sides...ah, Malacca.

I saw something really strange today - but beautiful too. My father had parked the car at the side of the road - on the yellow line lah, you think Malaysians so good wan meh? - and I noticed that there was a thin gap between two houses. Someone had grown climbing plants on the walls on both sides of the gap and created a walkway between the greenery leading right to the back. A balcony had been built and connected to a blank wall of the shophouse beside. Very pretty....and it was such a contrast to the busy, noisy street - lots of Singaporean cars on the road, by the way - and it looked so tranquil and green. I wanted to go in, but a locked gate prevented me from doing so. Should have brought a camera - sob!

The shop next door was interesting too, the Orang-utan House, by some guy named Charles Cham with his quirky T-shirt art. Those shirts don't come cheap though, cheapest going at RM20 and standard price at RM30. Only found in Malacca. There was a T-shirt which caught my attention; it had these words on it: "Play safe - use Malaysian rubber" and a picture of a...well, you get it...with leaves sprouting out of it. (My father didn't quite approve.) Might visit it again later...

Nice weekend, but I did not touch my Moral books. I know I should right now, but...sangat keberatan to do so! My Moral books followed me across two states but being the evil person that I am, I did not even take them out of my bag. And tomorrow...Tomorrow! Tomorrow! *Think Annie.* Wahaha.

Long long loooooooooong post. I have just realised that I'm addicted to blogging. Now only! It's too LATE!

Oh yeah, another reason why I don't mind visiting Malacca: My grandparents' house has Readers Digests dating back to 1987. I'm the only one reading them now. *sigh*

So, I really did enjoy the trip back this time. I'm ready to face another week! And blasted Moral tomorrow! =)

To LAH or not to LAH, that is the Malaysian question. ~(Go figure!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home