Patriotism? What patriotism?
Bulan Merdeka was launched today, as you all know, and at the end of the extremely long-winded ceremony, a certain teacher saw it fit to call a few students out for being disrespectful.
Right. I have to agree with said teacher, especially since I was yakking with Jess all through the patriotic songs. But then...the punishment for those students who were called out was to "laungkan 'Merdeka!' beberapa kali". Those guys did so obligingly, but in a somewhat jokey - and might I say disrespectful - manner that I wondered what was the purpose of punishing them in the first place.
So, we are force-fed all manner of things patriotic this month. I'm not complaining really...31st August is our independence day after all...but I'm wondering what does being patriotic really mean.
Pendidikan Moral? Tiga nilai untuk dihafal: Sayang and cinta akan negara, taat setia kepada Raja dan Negara dan sanggup berkorban untuk negara.
The first nilai is, of course, necessary, but I don't seem to feel the luuurve that much...
Ditto the second nilai.
The third nilai...well. Sacrificing for the country does not only mean joining the army and defending the country in times of war. It means giving your best to the country in every aspect, in the economy and service sectors, arts, sports and yadda yadda yadda. And giving your best to the country - and showing your love for it - also includes:
Right. I have to agree with said teacher, especially since I was yakking with Jess all through the patriotic songs. But then...the punishment for those students who were called out was to "laungkan 'Merdeka!' beberapa kali". Those guys did so obligingly, but in a somewhat jokey - and might I say disrespectful - manner that I wondered what was the purpose of punishing them in the first place.
So, we are force-fed all manner of things patriotic this month. I'm not complaining really...31st August is our independence day after all...but I'm wondering what does being patriotic really mean.
Pendidikan Moral? Tiga nilai untuk dihafal: Sayang and cinta akan negara, taat setia kepada Raja dan Negara dan sanggup berkorban untuk negara.
The first nilai is, of course, necessary, but I don't seem to feel the luuurve that much...
Ditto the second nilai.
The third nilai...well. Sacrificing for the country does not only mean joining the army and defending the country in times of war. It means giving your best to the country in every aspect, in the economy and service sectors, arts, sports and yadda yadda yadda. And giving your best to the country - and showing your love for it - also includes:
PICKING UP YOUR OWN RUBBISH!
Frankly, I am fed up with the general attitude towards cleanliness in school. Yes, and especially with the attitude of my darling little class - 5 Seroja. Come on people - we're supposed to be sixteen to seventeen years of age, mature enough to think for ourselves and make our own decisions! And yet you can't be trusted to pick up your own rubbish! (FYI, picking up your rubbish also means cleaning out the eight-century-old gunk from under your desk.)
We have the duty roster, of course, nicely decorated and pinned proudly to the notice board. But tell me, who actually bothers to refer to it? You? Do you know which duty you have been assigned to? What day are you on duty, hmm? Have you done your duty voluntarily without being told by the teacher or Yin Kit?
All right, I admit, I did not see cleanliness in class as an important aspect in all my years in school before. But since I was handed the post of assistant monitor this year, I have realised that cleanliness...
...I have realised that the condition of the class actually reflects the mentality and attitudes of the students.
What about 15 A1's? You can be brilliant in every subject, the pet of every teacher, the most popular student in school, the hottest chick in the universe - but if you don't give a shit towards cleanliness, what then?
What then?
All right, take a deep breath. I have to loosen up a bit.
But do you think it is fair that some students who care about the pitiable condition of the class take the time to pick up rubbish and sweep the grimy floor - littered with exam papers and sausages with chilli sauce, of all things - while the others laze about "studying" and chatting (and discarding more rubbish indiscriminately in the surrounding area)?*
There were a few Serojians who have been willing to clean up the class - and it wasn't even their duty to do so - and to them I say a huge THANK YOU.
And to the rest: Watch it. I'm the one being emo about this - not Yin Kit - and I'm afraid, I DO have a nasty temper.
So what is patriotism exactly? Is it about composing more patriotic songs (they're starting to sound creepily similar and repetitive these days), flying the Jalur Gemilang proudly (till the flag is in shreds) or getting 24 A1's in SPM (and throwing used sheets of paper and sweet wrappers all over the place)?
Well, I've run out of steam. Had a good long rant to a fellow monitor before recess today, but as she said it herself: What can we do? If the others are not willing to pick up after themselves, there's nothing much we can do.
Such a tragedy it is, don't you think?
*And this includes prefects, ex-Exco members or otherwise.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home