Love, thanks and life
Firstly, a big thank you to my friends who have been so kind and sympathetic towards Ginger's death...thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
Anyway, I asked my Dhamma teacher - I go for Sunday classes at the Subang Jaya Buddhist Association (SJBA) - about love and attachment a few weeks ago, and she talked about this topic for the entire lesson. And mind, did she discuss this topic thoroughly.
She specifically talked about relationships between teenagers, as it relates most to the class. (It wasn't what I had in mind...but I guess she thought I had asked about this aspect. And I was glad she did talk about it.) The class discussed and questioned about romantic relationships between teenagers - even sex - and how it relates to Buddhist teachings or the Dhamma. Still, we did talk about it in general terms - about societal norms and perceptions, and there were a few interesting questions.
My teacher did stress a lot on respect. Girls should be treated with respect and respect themselves! (Eh...I sound like a feminist.) She advised the guys in class to give their girlfriends or female friends their due respect, and not to manipulate them in the name of love. And to girls - not to be sweet-talked by their 'special someone' into doing something they'll regret later.
Someone did ask about pre-marital sex, and well, there were a few conflicting views on this. It's all up to you, I guess, and how you want to look at it. But there are consequences, of course, and the advice was this: Think carefully before you get yourself into anything. It is sound advice, and the same one given by parents, siblings, friends...well, almost anyone who cares about you.
I have noticed, lately, that the topics we talk about are often about love and heartbreak. Emo stuff...Miss Fleur seems to be the one with the most emo blog so far...no offence though. But it's what we're going through - the heartbreaking, exhilarating experience of adolescence! (Now I'm losing it.)
But is it really true, that at this age (of decadence and rebellion), you can't actually fall in love? Is it true that we teens think that we are "in love" when it's only physical attraction? Ainaa talked about it once, and she articulated some of my thoughts better than I could ever do myself.
Time will only tell.
I still have so much to learn, and wisdom to gain and filch from people; besides, I am only fifteen years and eleven months old.
Have I ever been in love? Was it infatuation or something more?
Was it only mere illusion? Illusion is like a drug. Too much of it kills you.
I'll be happy to survive SPM. But Form 5 - to me - is so much more than SPM. It's a bridge year, my last year in school (if I don't get to Form 6), and it's turning out to be one meaningful year. I have discovered aspects of myself which I didn't know I had before; I have done things I never dreamt I would; I have been euphorically happy and wretchedly down this year - more often than all my previous years in school.
I won't forget this year and the people who have made me and my life so beautiful.
Thank you.
P.S. Stuff about Matt Bellamy you never knew.
P.P.S. What an anti-climax! I have to stop obsessing over Muse.
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love". ~ Albert Einstein
"I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no hurt, but only more love". ~ Mother Teresa
Anyway, I asked my Dhamma teacher - I go for Sunday classes at the Subang Jaya Buddhist Association (SJBA) - about love and attachment a few weeks ago, and she talked about this topic for the entire lesson. And mind, did she discuss this topic thoroughly.
She specifically talked about relationships between teenagers, as it relates most to the class. (It wasn't what I had in mind...but I guess she thought I had asked about this aspect. And I was glad she did talk about it.) The class discussed and questioned about romantic relationships between teenagers - even sex - and how it relates to Buddhist teachings or the Dhamma. Still, we did talk about it in general terms - about societal norms and perceptions, and there were a few interesting questions.
My teacher did stress a lot on respect. Girls should be treated with respect and respect themselves! (Eh...I sound like a feminist.) She advised the guys in class to give their girlfriends or female friends their due respect, and not to manipulate them in the name of love. And to girls - not to be sweet-talked by their 'special someone' into doing something they'll regret later.
Someone did ask about pre-marital sex, and well, there were a few conflicting views on this. It's all up to you, I guess, and how you want to look at it. But there are consequences, of course, and the advice was this: Think carefully before you get yourself into anything. It is sound advice, and the same one given by parents, siblings, friends...well, almost anyone who cares about you.
I have noticed, lately, that the topics we talk about are often about love and heartbreak. Emo stuff...Miss Fleur seems to be the one with the most emo blog so far...no offence though. But it's what we're going through - the heartbreaking, exhilarating experience of adolescence! (Now I'm losing it.)
But is it really true, that at this age (of decadence and rebellion), you can't actually fall in love? Is it true that we teens think that we are "in love" when it's only physical attraction? Ainaa talked about it once, and she articulated some of my thoughts better than I could ever do myself.
Time will only tell.
I still have so much to learn, and wisdom to gain and filch from people; besides, I am only fifteen years and eleven months old.
Have I ever been in love? Was it infatuation or something more?
Was it only mere illusion? Illusion is like a drug. Too much of it kills you.
I'll be happy to survive SPM. But Form 5 - to me - is so much more than SPM. It's a bridge year, my last year in school (if I don't get to Form 6), and it's turning out to be one meaningful year. I have discovered aspects of myself which I didn't know I had before; I have done things I never dreamt I would; I have been euphorically happy and wretchedly down this year - more often than all my previous years in school.
I won't forget this year and the people who have made me and my life so beautiful.
Thank you.
P.S. Stuff about Matt Bellamy you never knew.
P.P.S. What an anti-climax! I have to stop obsessing over Muse.
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love". ~ Albert Einstein
"I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no hurt, but only more love". ~ Mother Teresa

3 Comments:
hey! sorry about your cat. ginger sounds cute. i'm sure he/she/it was.
and yes i have to agree with Tony Parson's quote which Ainaa brought up. Love is knowing when to let go. i know you're strong :)
thanks surekha :-)
haha hey..oh well im not very emo anymore..don wry..im stoppin bloggin.. and u've never tagged at my blog yet..ish..=)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home