Saturday, July 29, 2006

Plug In, Baby

Nononononononoononono!!

Chin Lei got me into this! I thought I was over Muse, and then she hands me Origin of Symmetry! And this album - their previous one before Absolution - is heavier, darker, angsty-er.

Sample lyrics:

You make me sick
because I adore you so
I love all the dirty tricks
And twisted games you play on me

And I thought Stockholm Syndrome was twisted enough.

Well, here's another Muse mini-review:

  1. New Born - I loved the piano at the beginning, though the tune sounds very familiar. (Was it used in some phone or car commercial before?) Anyway, major distorted guitar riffs, better than Black Holes really
  2. Space Dementia - The lyrics above are from this song. Haunting, ethereal even, and dripping with angst. Very cool contrast between piano and guitar riffs, and the distortion here....can blow your brains out. My favourite song, hehe.
  3. Hyper Music - The song isn't much to shout about, but these lines got lodged in my head: You know I don’t want you/ and I never did/I don’t want you/ and I never will. Denial.
  4. Plug In Baby - I was oddly disappointed when I realised that the words 'plug in' were actually adjectives of the noun 'baby' - don't ask. It should be read as Plug-in Baby...but the riffs...are even better than Stockholm. Man I love Matt Bellamy.
  5. Citizen Erased - If you thought Supermassive was weird, this song sends you right off to the other end of the Milky Way. It has really nice contrasts, and his vocals here are sublime.
  6. Micro Cuts - Very weird vocals. His voice can rival Mariah Carey's....erm, maybe not.
  7. Feeling Good - Can you believe that this is a cover of an old song by Nina something and which was also recently covered by Micheal Buble? I loved Buble's version, and Muse's is....phenomenal. It falls into jazz-rock, I think.

It’s a new dawn

It’s a new day

It’s a new life

For me

And I’m feeling good

I'm feeling sooooo goooooooood....

Another song I have to mention: Coldplay's Yellow. I got addicted to it this week. Love the lyrics, Chris Martin's mournful vocals...

Coldplay for wistfulness and hope; Muse for angst; Damien Rice for heartache - Delicate still has me in tears when I listen to it.

Your skin

Oh yeah, your skin and bones,

Turn into something beautiful,

You know, you know I love you so,

You know I love you so.

~Yellow, by Coldplay~

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was by nina simone.

knew u'd love it:)

chik n jess will b royally pissed on monday.

cheers XD

12:38 pm, July 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tyla,

yay! it's good u appreciate coldplay. those are my favourite lines too! 'your skin and bones turn into something beautiful.' man, chris martin gives me the goosebumps.

8:59 pm, July 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home