Here comes
Listen: Black Horse and a Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
I don't know how excited you are about the upcoming Royal Wedding (cos it's the wedding of the year, therefore the capitalization is justified, okay?), but there's this the cynical side of me asking: REALLY? Why do we need to know so much about it? WHY?
Okay, okay, so it's probably one of those 'once in a lifetime' thing. Young, handsome (not my type though), and popular future king is getting married to his long-time girlfriend. Mmm. Okay, sure, it's an important event. But where do you overstep the line between being "commemorative" and just "really crass"?
Like this fridge with their faces here...
...and this interesting list of things that people are selling to commemorate the wedding. Teabags and knitted dolls and sick bags galore.
Why don't you, say, take the money and donate to aid in the Japanese relief efforts instead?
Not that I have - I'm a cold, heartless human being for admitting that - but yes, if you do have the money and the effort, do donate.
One of the mamak shops I frequently go to is going to donate 10 cents for every roti canai you buy to the fund. So go makan and get fat, if this is a more enjoyable way of parting with your hard-earned money.
*Here there be spoilers for Murakami's Norwegian Wood*
Reading Murakami's Norwegian Wood is still tedious...I think I just don't have enough sympathy in me for Toru's problems. I mean, sure, you're in love with your dead best friend's girlfriend. Yes, she hasn't had a happy life, and I understand that part of him being in love with her could be due to his pity for her, wanting to protect her. And then this new girl - a weird, vivacious, impulsive girl - positively skips into his life. Midori isn't anything like Naoko: she says what she wants to on the blink, no matter how weird; she doesn't sit around and mope, preferring to go get drunk, or go on random trips, or even to watch a porno flick with him (just to see what it's like, so she said); she has her own family problems, but she faces them as best as she can, and even has time to laugh over it. I loved reading about Midori, although some of what she says can be off-putting to some people...but that's part of her.
And Toru sits around writing letters to Naoko, talking about the past, about his dead best friend, and she's stuck in some limbo in a sanatorium, waiting to get back to real life. He keeps his distance with Midori, and she respects his relationship, although he doesn't do anything to stop her when they get closer and closer as friends. And she makes no secret that she's attracted to him.
I think I just got really, really tired with Toru at some points. You want Naoko, fine. Then don't lead the other girl on. So hard issit? Make up your mind!
*Spoilers end here*
Was watching MTV a few days ago - I don't watch TV these days, mmm - and managed to catch Panic at the Disco's latest one, The Ballad of Mona Lisa. Album's released, and am wondering whether it'll be the continuation of Pretty. Odd. or back to the first one. Just go watch the video anyways - it's got a nice steampunky look, and you might catch the Zooey Deschanel lookalike in there.
Just got a new tweet from Pratchett saying that Snuff is in the editing process. *squeee* I love you Sam Vimes!
Watched Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman...what a weird movie. Weird plot, strange characters, good food, I had a good time laughing - mmm, good movie.
Go listen to Panic's Nearly Witches - so much awesome I cannot tahan. They would've thrown in the kitchen sink as an instrument if they could (and made it work!), but I spose the choir singing French would have to do. I love how they sing My one regret is you! So true. Bleepbleepbleeep.
Update: Listened to the entire album dah. They really laid into the instruments this time eh - guitars and strings and horns and chiming thingies and xylophoney stuff - my ears, they are trying to digest. But why. so. catchy!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home