My mushroom malaise
I just realised that I ate mushrooms every day - well, almost - for the entire three weeks of winter break. And eggs. Eggs are good. And tea. Tea is good too.
Been reading Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Not that far in yet, but I have a feeling that by the time I'm done with the book, I wouldn't know how to write anymore. He's a crazy genius, oh yes he is. New Crobuzon's described so vividly that I can practically see the dirty sewage-ridden river, the mad mix of species - cactacae, khepri, humans, vodyanoi - the little cliques and secrets within the city. Haha, and one of the main characters' name is Lin; she's a khepri, half-human, half-insect (scarab beetle, to be exact). Somehow the idea of seeing her as a lover of the other main character - Isaac, who's 100% human - isn't that...disturbing. Was surprised at first, after that fascinated.
All in all, a pretty productive break. Didn't write anything besides blogging, but it's because I had something to do, not because I didn't have ideas. Found an entire plot on my locked journal the other day - it's a year old now - but if I had actually written it, would've been past 50K words, trufax.
Have listened to three albums over the three weeks - Florence and the Machine's Lungs, Vampire Weekend's Contra, and The Swell Season's Strict Joy. Not showing off - I just want to talk about them. Loved Florence's thumping beats and the choruses, awesome catchy. Didn't quite get Vampire Weekend in their first album, but I like this new one. Synths and weird lyrics and guitaaaaarssss. As for The Swell Season - Once was a story about meeting and falling in love; this album is about breaking up. They've broken up, see, and I found it strange at first that they could sing about each other, and not be self-conscious about it. But I love love love their music, and now that Rice lost his muse and doesn't look like he'll write any emo songs soon, The Swell Season's good to fill in the gap.
I like:
1. Florence and the Machine
- Drumming Song
- Dog Days are Over
- Kiss with a Fist
2. Vampire Weekend
- Horchata
- White Sky
- Giving Up the Gun
3. The Swell Season
- In These Arms
- The Rain
- Fantasy Man
- The Verb
- I Have Loved You Wrong
- Two Tongues
Watched movies over the break too, let's see...The Young Victoria and Bright Star.Victoria was okay, with Emily Blunt all royal and rebellious, and Rupert Friend angsting cos his beloved is the freaking Queen of the British Empire. Pwning sial. And Bright Star was lovely lovely lovely - I cried in two scenes. Yesh. Ben Whishaw and his acting - mmm, but I admit, I melted when he was petting that cat. Gorgeous man + obvious love of cats = yummiest sight ever. Add to that his eyes - I have a new favourite actor. Abbie Cornish matched his performance in awesomeness; watch that scene where she receives news of Keats' death and tell me you weren't affected.
Class starting on Tuesday. Ah well, I need to get out and about anyway.
For fun times, go to Mrs. Stephen Fry's account.
No he's not married; he's gay. As he says in here...
Been reading Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Not that far in yet, but I have a feeling that by the time I'm done with the book, I wouldn't know how to write anymore. He's a crazy genius, oh yes he is. New Crobuzon's described so vividly that I can practically see the dirty sewage-ridden river, the mad mix of species - cactacae, khepri, humans, vodyanoi - the little cliques and secrets within the city. Haha, and one of the main characters' name is Lin; she's a khepri, half-human, half-insect (scarab beetle, to be exact). Somehow the idea of seeing her as a lover of the other main character - Isaac, who's 100% human - isn't that...disturbing. Was surprised at first, after that fascinated.
All in all, a pretty productive break. Didn't write anything besides blogging, but it's because I had something to do, not because I didn't have ideas. Found an entire plot on my locked journal the other day - it's a year old now - but if I had actually written it, would've been past 50K words, trufax.
Have listened to three albums over the three weeks - Florence and the Machine's Lungs, Vampire Weekend's Contra, and The Swell Season's Strict Joy. Not showing off - I just want to talk about them. Loved Florence's thumping beats and the choruses, awesome catchy. Didn't quite get Vampire Weekend in their first album, but I like this new one. Synths and weird lyrics and guitaaaaarssss. As for The Swell Season - Once was a story about meeting and falling in love; this album is about breaking up. They've broken up, see, and I found it strange at first that they could sing about each other, and not be self-conscious about it. But I love love love their music, and now that Rice lost his muse and doesn't look like he'll write any emo songs soon, The Swell Season's good to fill in the gap.
I like:
1. Florence and the Machine
- Drumming Song
- Dog Days are Over
- Kiss with a Fist
2. Vampire Weekend
- Horchata
- White Sky
- Giving Up the Gun
3. The Swell Season
- In These Arms
- The Rain
- Fantasy Man
- The Verb
- I Have Loved You Wrong
- Two Tongues
Watched movies over the break too, let's see...The Young Victoria and Bright Star.Victoria was okay, with Emily Blunt all royal and rebellious, and Rupert Friend angsting cos his beloved is the freaking Queen of the British Empire. Pwning sial. And Bright Star was lovely lovely lovely - I cried in two scenes. Yesh. Ben Whishaw and his acting - mmm, but I admit, I melted when he was petting that cat. Gorgeous man + obvious love of cats = yummiest sight ever. Add to that his eyes - I have a new favourite actor. Abbie Cornish matched his performance in awesomeness; watch that scene where she receives news of Keats' death and tell me you weren't affected.
Class starting on Tuesday. Ah well, I need to get out and about anyway.
For fun times, go to Mrs. Stephen Fry's account.
No he's not married; he's gay. As he says in here...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home