Thursday, December 31, 2009

This was the year

in which anything and everything happened. Last time I had a year like this was probably...2006, with SPM, turning 16, and leaving school.

That aside, this year has been...eventful. (Refer to previous post for the list.) Was site-hopping earlier, and realised - with the kind of sleepy clarity you get when you want to sleep but stubbornly don't want to - that it was the end of the decade. Or the noughties, as they put it.

But OHMYGOD, what a decade it was.

I remember watching the fireworks in KLCC for the Y2K New Year. Only nine at the time, but I remember the traffic jam after that, reaching home at past 2 a.m. - thrilling stuff, to be out so late when you're only 9 - and not wanting to sleep till morning. Cos, me and the sister couldn't stay up, and so we slept.

2001 was the year of UPSR, and the year in which I first got kiasu. Before that year, I was one of those kids who would, erm, just go take exams. Until PTS happened, and then I had to actually work in Std 5 to catch up. Yeah...that was the year my kiasu-ness started, in 2001. Oh and I sang in the school choir.

2002 was the year of secondary school. Yadda yadda...I didn't quite like my first school year. I hated Sejarah, I hated not knowing what I was doing, but I guess it was all right in the end.

2003 - one of those years that just happened, you know? You have memories of it, but then there are people and things that you met and experienced but you forget them.

2004 - PMR, new friends, new ideas. Got a disgustingly massive crush, wrote stuff I can laugh over when I read them today, did weird things, and generally it was a fun year. Until after PMR, when I got bored and started getting really restless.

And then there was 2005, when Things Started Happening. I got into Science Stream, started looking at possible courses to take in college, hated Moral and Sejarah, made new friends. Did I grow up then? Possibly not.

The year of drama was probably 2006, what with SPM, high pressure, conflict, people being kiasu (don't lie! You were!), drama competition, meeting new people, not having to go to Bio class with Grace because we were so cool to drop the subject liddat, and lots and lots of studying. And I got nominated for the prom thing what we all boycotted - haha, I'm still curious about who nominated me in the first place. Erm, and I wrote weird stuff, what got posted in the school magazine. (To be honest, I can't read what I wrote without being embarrassed about it. Strange but true.) Oh, and I got this blog in June. (It's been three years eh.)

And then there was 2007, with college, and learning how to spend time alone because of my schedule. Meeting new people, like Jun-Yi, who are still close friends here. Oh, and adjusting to the American way of learning. And I did Nano in November! Ooo, and I think I discovered Pratchett in this year. Verra important event, that.

2008 was...one of those years. I turned 18, got disappointed, wrote quite a bit (a novel-length fanfic, wtf), had weird sleeping times, ate a disgusting amount of mamak, bummed around the new college library, wasted lots of time...a pretty okay year.

And, of course, 2009. Off to Iowa in January, into subzero temperatures, snow and the bloody wind. New classes, new professors, new friends. Dorm life, icky dorm food, dorm drama. Gossip and the legendary kiasu-ness of Malaysians. And then summer, where things happened, although at the time I felt that nothing was going on. But happened they did. And then fall, and back to Iowa, for the new semester and a new set of problems. Living off-campus wasn't bad; the problems that came with living off-campus were a headache. Annoying neighbours, for one thing. And then fall break, and Thanksgiving next. Chicago. A readjustment of perceptions, particularly those involving friends. Finals and here I am now, blogging at past 12 during winter break.

My teenage years all occurred within the noughties, awesome kan. Good? Bad? On a personal level, I would probably say it's educational, but if you look at the big picture - how would you know whether to say the decade has been good or bad?

I could write more on this, especially when it comes to more private things...but I won't. I'm sleepy, and am wondering how I'll spend the last day of the year tomorrow. Should get Starbucks or something, methinks. Although it'll be bloody cold according to the forecast, urgh.

It's times like this when I get alternately restless and lethargic. It's all about changes, isn't it?

3 Comments:

Blogger chinlei said...

Happy New Year, Yeen!!

You aren't online at the mo, so thought I'd just wish you here.
Hope you have a brilliant, happy, HAPPY 2010 ahead. Talk to you soon.

*huggles*

5:45 pm, January 01, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

But why wouldn't you talk about more private things?

12:37 am, January 02, 2010  
Blogger Lynn said...

Chin Lei: Happy New Year, Chin!!

Lol I wouldn't be online at 7 a.m. la 80 HAPPY 2010 TO YOU TOO =D

Yep yep, talk to you soon *huggles back*

Stan: Your username very yong sui la.

Erm, cos they're private? 80

12:40 am, January 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home