...in the light of the past
"Everything is illuminated in the light of the past." It's from Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated. Oddly, wiki writes that the author got the title from a line in Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being - which I got yesterday, heh: "In the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia, even the guillotine."
Start wearing purple. Purple's a good colour, no?
Story by Katherine Mansfield, Feuille D'Album. Don't worry, it's in English :P One of my pet peeves is reading some line in French or some other language in some story, and the author doesn't translate the sentence. Obviously assuming that most people can read French. Quel dommage! (What a pity!) Or maybe...trying to insinuate that you, gentle reader, are not as clever as I am, the all-knowing author?
Burn!
Aaaargh. American History and Maths on Thursday and Wednesday respectively. Tests. 20% of my overall marks. Essays and subjective questions. And that whole group presentation thingy I have to do for Music...I think I'm going to be Pig 1.
Why is it that publishers now have to price their books so tragically? No fun. And you're supposed to be encouraging the rakyat to read, not empty their wallets because of books. One book can cost as much as my meals for a week. And there are no books to be illegally downloaded, not like music. =(
Well you can always get classics on Project Gutenberg, but then again...would you read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina online?
I haven't pre-ordered HP 7 yet. I'm still having mixed feelings about Deathly Hallows, while some people are already excited over the approaching D-day. I want Harry to die - more out of perverse humour than anything else; I don't hate hate him personally - but I also want everyone to live happily ever after. So I can properly start crying. Waaaaaah. Hermione marries Ron; Harry and Ginny have their own Quidditch team; Percy comes home looking like a kicked puppy; Draco lives (!!!!!!!); Remus and Tonks get married (I wonder what he'll call her if they do get married...Lupin?); Hagrid goes off with Madame Olympe; Cho Chang hooks up with Nearly Headless Nick...
I want Sylvia Plath's poems. *sniff* with explanatory notes. Because the woman is near incomprehensible sometimes. The allure! The dark mystery! The raging internal conflict between the id, superego, ego and some guy who made her burn the manuscript of the sequel to The Bell Jar!
I haven't forgiven Ted Hughes yet. He writes brilliantly well though. Hmph. Lovesong and The Thought-Fox.
Right. Maths. History.
Bed.
Been having really vivid dreams over the past week. Nightmares. Weirdest one was of me trying to swim in red dust in the school field, dressed in clothes I usually wear to college. Then I went to 7-Eleven to eat a sausage for lunch or supper.
Freud would probably diagnose this dream with something related to sex, I think.
And Kluang Station's chicken chop is goooooood. Yum.
Oh. Bed.
Start wearing purple. Purple's a good colour, no?
Story by Katherine Mansfield, Feuille D'Album. Don't worry, it's in English :P One of my pet peeves is reading some line in French or some other language in some story, and the author doesn't translate the sentence. Obviously assuming that most people can read French. Quel dommage! (What a pity!) Or maybe...trying to insinuate that you, gentle reader, are not as clever as I am, the all-knowing author?
Burn!
Aaaargh. American History and Maths on Thursday and Wednesday respectively. Tests. 20% of my overall marks. Essays and subjective questions. And that whole group presentation thingy I have to do for Music...I think I'm going to be Pig 1.
Why is it that publishers now have to price their books so tragically? No fun. And you're supposed to be encouraging the rakyat to read, not empty their wallets because of books. One book can cost as much as my meals for a week. And there are no books to be illegally downloaded, not like music. =(
Well you can always get classics on Project Gutenberg, but then again...would you read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina online?
I haven't pre-ordered HP 7 yet. I'm still having mixed feelings about Deathly Hallows, while some people are already excited over the approaching D-day. I want Harry to die - more out of perverse humour than anything else; I don't hate hate him personally - but I also want everyone to live happily ever after. So I can properly start crying. Waaaaaah. Hermione marries Ron; Harry and Ginny have their own Quidditch team; Percy comes home looking like a kicked puppy; Draco lives (!!!!!!!); Remus and Tonks get married (I wonder what he'll call her if they do get married...Lupin?); Hagrid goes off with Madame Olympe; Cho Chang hooks up with Nearly Headless Nick...
I want Sylvia Plath's poems. *sniff* with explanatory notes. Because the woman is near incomprehensible sometimes. The allure! The dark mystery! The raging internal conflict between the id, superego, ego and some guy who made her burn the manuscript of the sequel to The Bell Jar!
I haven't forgiven Ted Hughes yet. He writes brilliantly well though. Hmph. Lovesong and The Thought-Fox.
Right. Maths. History.
Bed.
Been having really vivid dreams over the past week. Nightmares. Weirdest one was of me trying to swim in red dust in the school field, dressed in clothes I usually wear to college. Then I went to 7-Eleven to eat a sausage for lunch or supper.
Freud would probably diagnose this dream with something related to sex, I think.
And Kluang Station's chicken chop is goooooood. Yum.
Oh. Bed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home