Sunday, April 22, 2007

Ghostwriting

Argh. I bought this book because I liked the cover so much. Er yeah, the cover. Same thing happened when I bought The Sorrows of Young Werther too. Marketing working its charm. Indeed.

Do NOT regret buying this book. Was up the whole afternoon reading it - when I could have been sleeping like a khinzir, with the rain and all that - and it...was much much better than I expected. The first part didn't quite impress me, but the second about the teenage saxophone player in Tokyo viewing life through various jazz songs really got me. I think I didn't expect much from this book too; I haven't heard anyone mention it - the only ones I've heard about were number9dream, Black Swan Green and Cloud Atlas. This, me dear, is the very first book Mitchell published, in 1999. (Some mention about women with shoulder pads, got me wondering you know. Who wears shoulder pads these days?) Some funny whim. Oh pure bliss!

Another book too - er yeah, I have TWO WEEKS of holiday, have I mentioned that? - Martin Millar's The Good Fairies of New York. With the introduction by Neil Gaiman. Something about the Ramones in there too...anyone heard their songs before? The beginning of punk! Imagine, Matt must have listened to them when he first started off as a punk red-haired teen!

Downloaded several very happy songs yesterday, mostly My Chemical Romance and Franz Ferdinand (dancey dancey, wheeeeeee!):

1. Auf Achse - Franz Ferdinand

2. Jacqueline - Franz Ferdinand

It's always better on holiday

So much better on holiday ~

3. Cancer - My Chemical Romance

4. Come On Home - Franz Ferdinand

5. No Cars Go - The Arcade Fire

6. Teenagers - MCR

They said all teenagers scare the living shit out of me ~

(started laughing like an idiot when I heard this line)

7. This Fire - Franz Ferdinand

this fire is out of controooooooooooooooooool ~

8. Well That was Easy - Franz Ferdinand

9. Decent Days and Nights - The Futureheads

10. Skip to the End - The Futureheads

All right. Let's see how many books I can read during this break before my eyes rot - or I get so sick of books that I refuse to read any.

I'm going with the last one. Eeek.

And oh. Daniel Pennac's 10 Rights of the Reader:

1. The right to not read

2. The right to skip pages

3. The right to not finish a book

4. The right to reread

5. The right to read anything

6. The right to "Bovary-ism", a textually transmitted disease

7. The right to read anywhere

8. The right to sample and steal

9. The right to read out loud

10. The right to be silent

I'm only observing my given rights!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read number9dream. Found it during a warehouse sale quite sometime back.
Not bad. Started a bit slow but got me hooked towards the end.

Ghostwritten's got a cool cover. Er..'s how I found number9dream...

I want a break too!! Enjoy yours. Happy reading loads and loads of books!!

8:30 pm, April 23, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Warehouse sale?! Lucky you!

Thanks Ameera! Don't get too stressed out! :)

8:33 pm, April 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home