Nazifeminism
Just the other day someone said to me: "Guys can be total morons."
Hell yeah. Not all the time though. Most of the time they're pretty nice to be around with. Note the "can" in the sentence. They are capable of being morons. Just like any one of us. But still, guys in general.
I slept for two hours last night, and just had a late supper. So forgive me, if your ego is somewhat bruised and battered after reading this post. Argh. My mind isn't letting me rest, but I'm not complaining. Except that I have a tendency to say more than I should during these phases. But still. I get the best ideas then. Well good ideas for me la. And randomness, yes randomness.
So anyway. On the subject of guys.
Stopped by a petrol station just now, car was running low on petrol. I was in the car with my sis and mother; my father, of course, was busy with the process of feeding the car. So there was this girl there - tall, slim, dressed in a sheer tight blouse and minuscule skirt - who was paying at the counter. A middle-aged guy waited in line behind her, and eeyer, stared like he'd never seen another female in his life. His eyes never left her behind the whole time. My younger - and more innocent - sister was going: "Eeyer! Eeyer! Why stare so much wan!" So the girl leaves the counter after paying, and the guy steps up for his turn. But his head was in the wrong direction. He stared at the girl till she got into her car, which had a group of guys in it (don't ask).
Well yeah, you're perfectly free to stare, and I'm...er...guessing that some girls don't mind the attention, but come on lah, have you heard of discretion?
There's this thingy called the objectification theory; learnt it in psychology. Sexual objectification of women happens everywhere in the media nowadays; women are treated and portrayed as sex objects, nothing more. Like living dolls. Still cringe when I watch videos with half-naked girls writhing and bumping around some singer who thinks he's so cool and macho, with all the bling and the sneers and unintelligible mouthing. (Snob that I am, I don't really consider rapping - especially rapping speaking of male ego, sex and gangsters - as music.) Right, objectification. Girls are continually fed media objectifying females, and over time, they learn to internalize it. They begin to see themselves like what the media potrays them - the self-objectification theory. Dress to please - who? Themselves?
Personally though, I'm all for female emancipation. But I do NOT agree with the Pussycat Dolls' idea of emancipation. It isn't about walking round half-naked with provocative poses and moves. Confidence and freedom to express yourself; they're important, of course - but who are you doing it for? Are you doing it for yourself or for guys to oogle?
That's the thing, isn't it? I just learnt why females beautify themselves too. For men. Natural selection. Improving breeding prospects. But that's only a part of it, mind you - we take care of our appearances for ourselves too. Good impressions and all that.
Dammit. What the hell is going on?
You know what's funny? It's easier to tell a stranger your problems than to a friend. "Because strangers won't judge you for your problems." It worked for me.
I think I know why I'm prone to my down phases now. Freud and his psychoanalysis.
This has proved to be a pretty enlightening year. And it's only March.
Every time you close your eyes ~ Rebellion (Lies), Arcade Fire
Grace is alive and kicking in Kuching! Still stressed out, as she has been chosen as assistant leader for the whole camp...but you know her la, the girl's tough as...er...Pn Fauziah's iron claws. Oh yeah, you can sms or call her at her Maxis number now, as her Celcom has some problems to be rectified (hopefully soon).
The Yellow Digi man has his own album. I'm not kidding. Check out Rock Corner, only RM9.90.
Seriously though...the guy's a maniac. The Malay Male has a pretty dirty version of the song. Go check it out if you're curious. ;)
All in all, it's been an up-down week. I've been sleeping on an average of 3.5 hours for three afternoons this week. Had manic afternoon today, couldn't settle down at all. Skimmed through Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Holly's story made me go weepy. I love that girl.
My sister finished the double chocolate cookies - I only had a chance to eat one! Arrrrggghhhhhh. Pepperidge Farm okay! She had it for breakfast! Perks of staying home without adult supervision, I guess.
Does anyone have the movie of Breakfast at Tiffany's? With Audrey Hepburn? Arms up if you do! They changed the ending though....oh.
Guys are not total morons. Nope. The mind is reeling.
"I'm like cat here, a no-name slob. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other."
Go lightly. The heart trembles, though the mind insists that it doesn't.
Hell yeah. Not all the time though. Most of the time they're pretty nice to be around with. Note the "can" in the sentence. They are capable of being morons. Just like any one of us. But still, guys in general.
I slept for two hours last night, and just had a late supper. So forgive me, if your ego is somewhat bruised and battered after reading this post. Argh. My mind isn't letting me rest, but I'm not complaining. Except that I have a tendency to say more than I should during these phases. But still. I get the best ideas then. Well good ideas for me la. And randomness, yes randomness.
So anyway. On the subject of guys.
Stopped by a petrol station just now, car was running low on petrol. I was in the car with my sis and mother; my father, of course, was busy with the process of feeding the car. So there was this girl there - tall, slim, dressed in a sheer tight blouse and minuscule skirt - who was paying at the counter. A middle-aged guy waited in line behind her, and eeyer, stared like he'd never seen another female in his life. His eyes never left her behind the whole time. My younger - and more innocent - sister was going: "Eeyer! Eeyer! Why stare so much wan!" So the girl leaves the counter after paying, and the guy steps up for his turn. But his head was in the wrong direction. He stared at the girl till she got into her car, which had a group of guys in it (don't ask).
Well yeah, you're perfectly free to stare, and I'm...er...guessing that some girls don't mind the attention, but come on lah, have you heard of discretion?
There's this thingy called the objectification theory; learnt it in psychology. Sexual objectification of women happens everywhere in the media nowadays; women are treated and portrayed as sex objects, nothing more. Like living dolls. Still cringe when I watch videos with half-naked girls writhing and bumping around some singer who thinks he's so cool and macho, with all the bling and the sneers and unintelligible mouthing. (Snob that I am, I don't really consider rapping - especially rapping speaking of male ego, sex and gangsters - as music.) Right, objectification. Girls are continually fed media objectifying females, and over time, they learn to internalize it. They begin to see themselves like what the media potrays them - the self-objectification theory. Dress to please - who? Themselves?
Personally though, I'm all for female emancipation. But I do NOT agree with the Pussycat Dolls' idea of emancipation. It isn't about walking round half-naked with provocative poses and moves. Confidence and freedom to express yourself; they're important, of course - but who are you doing it for? Are you doing it for yourself or for guys to oogle?
That's the thing, isn't it? I just learnt why females beautify themselves too. For men. Natural selection. Improving breeding prospects. But that's only a part of it, mind you - we take care of our appearances for ourselves too. Good impressions and all that.
Dammit. What the hell is going on?
You know what's funny? It's easier to tell a stranger your problems than to a friend. "Because strangers won't judge you for your problems." It worked for me.
I think I know why I'm prone to my down phases now. Freud and his psychoanalysis.
This has proved to be a pretty enlightening year. And it's only March.
Every time you close your eyes ~ Rebellion (Lies), Arcade Fire
Grace is alive and kicking in Kuching! Still stressed out, as she has been chosen as assistant leader for the whole camp...but you know her la, the girl's tough as...er...Pn Fauziah's iron claws. Oh yeah, you can sms or call her at her Maxis number now, as her Celcom has some problems to be rectified (hopefully soon).
The Yellow Digi man has his own album. I'm not kidding. Check out Rock Corner, only RM9.90.
Seriously though...the guy's a maniac. The Malay Male has a pretty dirty version of the song. Go check it out if you're curious. ;)
All in all, it's been an up-down week. I've been sleeping on an average of 3.5 hours for three afternoons this week. Had manic afternoon today, couldn't settle down at all. Skimmed through Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Holly's story made me go weepy. I love that girl.
My sister finished the double chocolate cookies - I only had a chance to eat one! Arrrrggghhhhhh. Pepperidge Farm okay! She had it for breakfast! Perks of staying home without adult supervision, I guess.
Does anyone have the movie of Breakfast at Tiffany's? With Audrey Hepburn? Arms up if you do! They changed the ending though....oh.
Guys are not total morons. Nope. The mind is reeling.
"I'm like cat here, a no-name slob. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other."
Go lightly. The heart trembles, though the mind insists that it doesn't.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home