Thursday, March 15, 2007

Counting down the days

Grace is leaving this Sunday. And I won't be able to see her for the next three months. Oh no....

Anyway, SPM stuff again. I refused to post anything to do with SPM until today...I just missed out on a full scholarship for this year. 10A1's were the minimum requirement. I'm trying to console myself that I haven't been influenced by some so-called "government propaganda". Not sure whether I'm under the influence of Matt Bellamy's invasion paranoia or I'm in denial about my results.

But then. I am happy. Except for that scholarship part. Anyway, I'm in; I've started - and the advisors are already encouraging us first semesters students to look at prospective universities. Seriously. The study plans would scare the heck out of anyone...not to mention all the subjects we have to complete here. All in all, I'm happy with what I have achieved. Much more than I expected of myself, to be honest.

Well yeah, people have been asking about results and all that, but the thing I have realised is: The seniors here aren't that bothered. Of course, they've sat for SPM three or two years ago, but when you think about it in the long run, it doesn't exactly matter how many A's you got. Now everyone is more concerned about the GPA instead of the A's. Transferrable credits are in the now, not those A's. So. Just put SPM behind me and concentrate on my subjects now.

I don't regret anything really. I wonder why some people give me the vague impression that I should. Especially some nosy people in college. "Straight A's ah? Not straight A1's? Aiyo. Good enough la." And then they tell you that they got the freaking straight A1's - or they pretend to be so modest until you have to ask around for their results. Apa-apa sajelah. Truth be told, I'm not interested in what you got. Your results are not going to affect me anyway. (Have you raised your eyebrows yet? And somehow the thought that I'm trying to cheer myself up has crossed your mind?)

I'm going to complain about my next semester's schedule now. If there were justice in this world, I'll be driving myself to college with a valid licence. So, here goes:

Monday - starts at 10, ends at 2
Tuesday - at 8, ends at 12
Wednesday - starts at ELEVEN, ends at 2
Thursday - starts at 10, break from 12 till 2, ends at 4
Friday - starts at eleven, ends at 1

If you're a Taylor's student, I'm guessing that you're going: "Eeeyer, so unfair!" right now.

Hah. But I have to get to college at 7.30 every morning. Parents not comfortable with me taking RapidKL and all that, because the bus stop is a 10 to 15 minute walk from my house. So, even if my classes start at 2, I'll have to go to college in the morning.

Then again, my next semester starts in May. But I'm already not happy with the time table. On the bright side, I'll only have to endure it till August. On the other hand, my subjects are - are - boring. Public speaking, American history, microeconomics and Calculus 2. All compulsory subjects under the recommended study plan. LAN subject couldn't fit in; who came up with that idiotic idea anyway? I'm done with Moral and Malaysian history for SPM, now you want me to learn more about Tok Beard and the value of being rational!

I am so not happy. (I'm whining whining whining!)

On a MUCH brighter note, I've managed to speed read through Pratchett's Maskerade, a parody of the Phantom of the Opera set in the Ankh-Morpork Opera House in the weird, wacky and strangely familiar alternate universe of Discworld. (Flat, circular world atop four elephants travelling through space on the back of the giant tortoise Great A'Tuin. Don't ask.) The Phantom is now two people: the choir master Salzella and the janitor, Walter Plinge. And Christine is an airhead with a bad voice, who speaks like this!! (And asks questions like this: Isn't my dress pretty?!) Exclamation points figure largely in the plot; the Ghost keeps sending messages with written maniacal laughter, each ending with five exclamation points. Eg. AHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHA! BEWARE!!!!! (sure sign of an unhealthy mind...or of someone who walks around with his underpants on his head, according to Pratchett)

And of course, there's Nanny Ogg with her new recipe book, The Joye of Snacks, which isn't about snacks exactly, but hint strongly at...erm...happiness in marriage. (You get the idea.) Nanny being an Ogg, of course, a clan well known for its many offspring. (In fact, I think she started the clan herself.) Then there's Granny Weatherwax: kind, snappish and brutal in some aspects. That woman carries herself like a queen. Scares the hell out of everything too. Practises headology, a kind of psychology without actually making anyone go insane - though there have been cases of extreme fear. What a lovely lady. And the third witch, Agness Nitt or Perdita X Dream, who lends her sensational voice to Christine. Good fun, and I was laughing like an idiot, irritating everyone at home.

Oh yeah, and Death too. CAN'T HAVE A DISCWORLD STORY WITHOUT HIM NOW, CAN WE? My favourite character so far....wheeeeeeee!!!!!



I love Youtube!

Hmm...I wonder whether Salzella has anything to do with Antonio Salieri. Thought the name looked familiar the whole time I was reading Maskerade. (Salieri's birthday was on 18th of August!)

Instead, people would take pains to tell her that beauty was only skin-deep, as if a man ever fell for an attractive pair of kidneys. ~ Maskerade, Terry Pratchett

P.S. - That quote should give you some idea of what I've been reading. Pure joy.

A day ago the future had looked aching and desolate, and now it looked full of surprises and terror and bad things happening to people... If she had anything to do with it anyway.

Granny Weatherwax being uncharacteristically optimistic. The trouble is, she always gets it right.

Two more days before Grace leaves...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn! Please please remember to SMS me on weekends ok :( I'm not asking everyone to SMS me for the sake of attention! And I don't want to come back only to know I've missed something BIG.

Hmph.

Well, I know I've missed Sha's birthday :(:(

Man. Thanks so much for yesterday. It was amazing la. Actually maybe it's better that I did have a small clue before hand, or I'd jut break down there like how I did when I got my results.

Yesterday was amazing la. Thank you so much :D

9:02 am, March 17, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Last time to see you in three months okay!

Will call or SMS you...wonder if you're reading this though.

Enjoy your time there yeah! :)

1:54 pm, March 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home