Friday, February 02, 2007

Criminal

What I need is a good defense
Cause I'm feelin' like a criminal...

...for ogling at these pics. Got the link from Hui Xuan's blog, and maaaaaan...fans of Dan Radcliffe, you'll be dying right here in front of the computer. Equus-stark(ers)-raving-mad. Who knew Dan had such abs? *grins none too innocently* What about Clive Owen now? By the way, have you seen how good Jude Law looks on the posters of The Holiday? Mmmmmm....

So. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is coming out on July 21st. Should I get the book then, or wait till the paperback hits stores? Truthfully, really, I don't care if he dies. A few years ago I would have objected to the idea of dearest Harry dying, but now if Rowling does fry him off, I don't mind it. I like tragedy. Especially tragicomedy. Maybe Harry will die being accidentally roasted by Fawkes's rejuvenation bonfire. *whoompf* Hello goodbye Harry, you're part of a chicken's distant cousin's roast.

The title, the title....Deathly Hallows. I wonder how some people will react to it, really...seeing as Rowling has been receiving so much flak for her kiddy imaginary world already. Then again, I'm not particularly concerned...

List of movies I wanna watch (still!):

1. Babel
2. Notes on A Scandal
3. V for Vendetta
4. Sylvia
5. Iris :P
6. Elizabeth
7. Breakfast at Tiffany's (highly recommended by a new friend)
8. Bee Season (just read the book)
9. Shakespeare in Love
10. Stranger than Fiction
11. Little Miss Sunshine
12. Thank You for Smoking
13. Memento
14. The Hours
15. The Holiday

I think I need to put up a wish list. We'll see how I fare with the HTML. =)

Books books glorious books. Borrowed Kingsley Amis's Girl, 20 from the Inti library a few days ago. Interesting plot, though some might be put off by the slightly off humour (please do not excuse me for my dubious sense of humour) and the even more interesting relationship between the 50 plus-year-old conductor with a foul mouthed seventeen-year-old girl "exhibiting all the contemptible aspects of youth". A very big difference from Shields's Unless; it's discussing feminity and double standards for women in the chapter I'm reading now.

What would you do if a member of your family - daughter, niece, sister - suddenly disappears without a warning and turns up later on a sidewalk, just sitting there quietly, day in, day out, holding a cardboard placard with GOODNESS on it? For Reta Winters - translator of several renowned literary memoirs, successful novelist of a "light" novel, My Thyme is Up and mother of three teenage daughters - it is the beginning of the collapse of her old life and the start of a new time of hurt and reflection. Her eldest daughter Norah: nineteen, obedient, quiet, a model daughter, has become a sort of martyr championing GOODNESS who refuses to acknowledge her family and friends; refuses to return home and grudgingly accepts help from the many people who know her. Reta tries to make sense of this abrupt change by tracing through her memories - buying a scarf for Norah; the talk on feminity with the author whose work she has translated many times, Danielle Westerman; Norah's younger days - yet she's still confused, hurt, trying to push away and make sense of the reason for Norah's decision.

I'm just halfway through the book; it's slow-moving, but in a good way. I love the way she constructs her sentences. Every neat little word, placed just so, in the right place, with the right effect, rounding off beautifully at the end with the ubiquitous full-stop (period, if you want to follow the Americans). Poetic prose, I think they call it. I wonder if she got any influences from Virginia Woolf.

Yeah yeah, it's a long post, and I'm talking to myself.

My blog, my choice, my life :)

It's been a lovely day. Slept for two and a half hours just now, from 7 to 9.30 p.m. What a wonderful lifeeee...

Anyway. Another update of the books I want (greedy sangat saya):

1. Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman
2. The Ladies of Grace Adieu - Susanna Clarke
3. The World to Come - Dara Horn
4. The Memory Keeper's Daughter =)
5. My Summer of Love - Helen Cross

Feed my ego. It loves the attention so much.

Hey it wasn't me who wrote that!

Yeah, shake it up baby now (shake it up baby)
Twist and shout (twist and shout)

~ Twist and Shout, The Beatles

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

*Ahem*

This is an experiment.

Hypothesis: More readers tend to leave comments after someone comments first.

So if you've read this...leave a shout out or something yeah? one word pun boleh...

...even if you can't resist the temptation to call me an egoistic narcissist. =)

2:20 am, February 03, 2007  
Blogger Kirstin Wong said...

i have Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things. haven't read it yet though ><

11:51 am, February 03, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Kirstin Wooooooooong!

READ IT ASAP!

Okay...I'm overreacting...but only because I've been ogling sadly at it for months now :P

12:14 pm, February 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fiona apple! criminal - great great song!

oh my! i'm not a fan of dan but maybe i am now :) the one with him facing that topless girl is absolutely yummy! and yeah, where did all the abs come from?

of course jude law looks good in the posters! it's jude! has he ever NOT looked good?

roasted by fawke's rejuvenation fire?? how do you become so creative? HAHAHA!

notes on a scandal! do ya know when it's coming out here? looks really really good! i'll lend you iris and thank you for smoking if you want them :)

12:26 pm, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Hey Su!

Er...the pics for Equus were sick la...he's naked with a girl and a guy impersonating a horse on stage! =S but yeah...those abs...

Glad you share my sentiments on Jude Law :P

Really...*so muka temboklah*...thanks... =)

About the Muse tickets...I am disappointed too, just like the rest...ah, arse that.

2:17 pm, February 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home