Unless
Who would have thought, exactly?
Who would have expected this?
I didn't know this could happen too. You're not the only one in the dark.
Perhaps, one day, I'll understand. Or maybe I'm just in denial. Denying the facts can't change them; I should get that through my thick skull.
Other than that, college is going fine. Nothing much to shout about, but it's going okay. I'm settling in gradually; I'm taking time. And tests are next week!
I love Pay Less Books! Found a 2003 edition of Carol Shields's Unless for RM 12, and I'm guessing that the price for a new one would be more than RM45. The book's in relatively good condition too, and so far, it's a really good read. It was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize too! My first book by Shields was her anthology Dressing Up for the Carnival. Stories about love, loss, rejuvenation and comfort. And I love the way she writes about ordinary people and their ordinary lives...in such a way that you're so curious to find out more about them. What can be so fascinating about a man with a mango? Why is that girl running home like this? Will she jump into the river after contemplating her ruined relationship with a good-for-nothing man who left her pregnant? What did the boy's mother ask him to buy for their evening soup?
Another book I found was Katherine Mansfield's Stories, an anthology of her best published stories over the years. Apparently she was the only writer Virginia Woolf regarded as a real rival. I like her style of writing...oddly it reminded me of Joyce's Dubliners, then again maybe not...her stories seem so simple, yet they're full of metaphors and meaning. My only disappointment was a particular story was not included in the book. There's a collection of her stories in SMK USJ 4's library under the Oxford Readers series; most of those stories are in this book. But that one story I've read a few times isn't included here! A pretty good story, about how a strange quiet young man observes a plain young girl going home every day with her shopping in the evenings. One day, when he finally gets the courage to talk to her, he finds himself at a loss of what to say. He notices that a few things in her basket have fallen out, and he picks up an egg and hands it to her, saying: "Madam, you have dropped an egg." The story ended there - a surprising ending, and rather anti-climactic. I was almost expecting him to do something unexpected after the build-up and tension in the story...but no, he surprised me even more by doing something so mundane as picking up an egg for her.
Ian McEwan's Atonement can wait. His writing style is detailed, and not what you consider "light reading" on bored days. Besides, some of the characters are so full of themselves that I just want to give them up in despair...
...or maybe not. Even the most unlikely books always have surprises of their own. Really.
Hmm...I'm updating for update's sake.
I want to live where soul meets body,
And let the sun wrap its arms around me,
And bathe my skin in water cool and cleansing,
And feel, feel what it's like to be new.
Who would have expected this?
I didn't know this could happen too. You're not the only one in the dark.
Perhaps, one day, I'll understand. Or maybe I'm just in denial. Denying the facts can't change them; I should get that through my thick skull.
Other than that, college is going fine. Nothing much to shout about, but it's going okay. I'm settling in gradually; I'm taking time. And tests are next week!
I love Pay Less Books! Found a 2003 edition of Carol Shields's Unless for RM 12, and I'm guessing that the price for a new one would be more than RM45. The book's in relatively good condition too, and so far, it's a really good read. It was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize too! My first book by Shields was her anthology Dressing Up for the Carnival. Stories about love, loss, rejuvenation and comfort. And I love the way she writes about ordinary people and their ordinary lives...in such a way that you're so curious to find out more about them. What can be so fascinating about a man with a mango? Why is that girl running home like this? Will she jump into the river after contemplating her ruined relationship with a good-for-nothing man who left her pregnant? What did the boy's mother ask him to buy for their evening soup?
Another book I found was Katherine Mansfield's Stories, an anthology of her best published stories over the years. Apparently she was the only writer Virginia Woolf regarded as a real rival. I like her style of writing...oddly it reminded me of Joyce's Dubliners, then again maybe not...her stories seem so simple, yet they're full of metaphors and meaning. My only disappointment was a particular story was not included in the book. There's a collection of her stories in SMK USJ 4's library under the Oxford Readers series; most of those stories are in this book. But that one story I've read a few times isn't included here! A pretty good story, about how a strange quiet young man observes a plain young girl going home every day with her shopping in the evenings. One day, when he finally gets the courage to talk to her, he finds himself at a loss of what to say. He notices that a few things in her basket have fallen out, and he picks up an egg and hands it to her, saying: "Madam, you have dropped an egg." The story ended there - a surprising ending, and rather anti-climactic. I was almost expecting him to do something unexpected after the build-up and tension in the story...but no, he surprised me even more by doing something so mundane as picking up an egg for her.
Ian McEwan's Atonement can wait. His writing style is detailed, and not what you consider "light reading" on bored days. Besides, some of the characters are so full of themselves that I just want to give them up in despair...
...or maybe not. Even the most unlikely books always have surprises of their own. Really.
Hmm...I'm updating for update's sake.
I want to live where soul meets body,
And let the sun wrap its arms around me,
And bathe my skin in water cool and cleansing,
And feel, feel what it's like to be new.
~ Soul Meets Body, Death Cab for Cutie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home